There is only one thing that I don't like about the phone and that is making a phone call.

On my old phone, Samsung i760, you could press the numbers, and it would read the letters at the same time, thus matching names would pop up on your contact list which would make it easy to call a "saved" number. Other BB's function this way, as well.

Unless there is something I'm missing, the storm does not do this. You have to press the green button, then if you know the number, key it in, otherwise, you have to choose either your call log for a recent number, or contact list for a saved number. If you choose the contact list, then you have to do an additional search to look for the number you want to call.

This is crazy. I can only hope they come out with an update that solves this problem for the storm to make things a bit easier.

What are your thoughts?
    12-17-08 11:36 AM
    everyone i call is in my call log, so when i hit the green button that is what comes up.

no biggie for me.
    12-17-08 11:40 AM
    everyone i call is in my call log, so when i hit the green button that is what comes up.

no biggie for me.
    Same here. Green Button....Call log....Green Button. No Problem here
    12-17-08 11:41 AM
    Speed Dial is your friend also.
    12-17-08 11:42 AM
    There is only one thing that I don't like about the phone and that is making a phone call.

On my old phone, Samsung i760, you could press the numbers, and it would read the letters at the same time, thus matching names would pop up on your contact list which would make it easy to call a "saved" number. Other BB's function this way, as well.

Unless there is something I'm missing, the storm does not do this. You have to press the green button, then if you know the number, key it in, otherwise, you have to choose either your call log for a recent number, or contact list for a saved number. If you choose the contact list, then you have to do an additional search to look for the number you want to call.

This is crazy. I can only hope they come out with an update that solves this problem for the storm to make things a bit easier.

What are your thoughts?
    I agree...my office mate has a storm and came from a treo and that was one of his first complaints.

I understand that there is also a call log and you can set it to that, but when you have a lot of contacts it becomes quite a pain
    12-17-08 11:43 AM
    Ahhh voice dialing isn't bad on my phone one touch of the bluetooth and I am dialing......and before you start complaining about voice dial I know I know but it does work about 80%
    12-17-08 12:18 PM

no biggie for me.
    Thats what I have my default phone screen to... and I also have it sorted so my most used numbers come up first.
    12-17-08 12:21 PM
    Thats what I have my default phone screen to... and I also have it sorted so my most used numbers come up first.
    May I ask how you change the settings to accomplish this?

Brilliant idea!
    12-17-08 12:24 PM
    If you hold teh Green Button the Contacts also comes up.
    12-17-08 12:25 PM
    I have set right convenience key to contact. Press the key, click the keyboard and start typing contacts name.
    12-17-08 12:27 PM
    Same here. Green Button....Call log....Green Button. No Problem here
    you were close. it's green button...lag....call log....lag....green button...lag.....accidentally hit mute......umute....accidentally put it on speaker...take it off speaker. wash rinse repeat.
    12-17-08 12:27 PM
    I would also like to know how to sort this. Please help
    12-17-08 12:29 PM
    May I ask how you change the settings to accomplish this?

Brilliant idea!
    hit the green button, and your number pad comes up. hit the bb key and then choose options. then choose general options. initial view set to call log or whatever you choose
    12-17-08 12:30 PM
    I agree OP, this is one of the things I didn't like in my trial. The Curve (and other Blackberries) sounds similar to your old phone. I press the green talk button, then just start typing in who I want to call and then press the talk button again. If they're on the call log already, great, because that's the first thing that pops up... but it does both at once (call log and auto dial by typing). The Storm seemed cumbersome in that respect. Even when using the Contacts to dial, you have to search for the contact, click it, then click the number you want and it dials. Just a pain.
    12-17-08 12:33 PM
    hit the green button, and your number pad comes up. hit the bb key and then choose options. then choose general options. initial view set to call log or whatever you choose
    I think he was asking more about the sorting aspect of her post.
    12-17-08 12:34 PM
    In your phone options (general options) set initial view to CALL LOG and phone list view to MOST USED. It is confusing at first to follow your recent missed calls, but a lot easier to find those that you call/call you the most!
    12-17-08 12:37 PM
    I've had the Storm since it came out, did the update and I love almost everything about this "Device", except the phone. Here's why:

1. Speed dial does not always work. Sometimes I need to go in and out of the phone area a few times to get it to function again.

2. It is NOT a one handed operation when choosing from your contact list, and when you have hundreds of contacts, it's a problem. Everytime I hit a button to scroll through the letters, it adds each letter and keeps it highlighted and who knows what else. It's not consistent. When toggling Multitap off and on, it works for while the right way, but it doesn't stick.

3. Voice dialing is "eh", hit or miss. I wish it had the ability to store yourself saying a name, and then match that against your voice. My old phone did it and it worked 98% of the time perfectly.

I was hoping it would be fixed in .75 but alas, it was not to be.

I'm keeping it anyway because the rest of the stuff is AWESOME, and it's just so SEXY!
    12-17-08 12:38 PM
    In your phone options (general options) set initial view to CALL LOG and phone list view to MOST USED. It is confusing at first to follow your recent missed calls, but a lot easier to find those that you call/call you the most!
    Thank you.
    12-17-08 01:00 PM
    I wish there was a way to change the green button hold function. I want green button = phone. hold green button = call log.

Anyone figure out how to change the green button hold command?
    12-17-08 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD