I've had an uneasy feeling for weeks now about Best Buy insurance. They told me that Verizon doesn't cover the screen because it's a new touch-screen device. So having total equipment coverage, if I break my Storm screen... I'm screwed BUT if I got BB insurance (for $10/mo) they would just give me a new one w/o question. I said I'll think about it within my 30 days. I checked my account today and they had taken my verizon insurance OFF completely. "DENIED INSURANCE" was on my account.

Called VZW CS and the very nice lady at first told me water/screen/etc wasn't covered but then realized I had originally had total equipment coverage at which point she said everything would be covered, even for the storm.

Just a heads up because I was 2 days away from having no insurance. Anyone else experience anything similar?
    12-16-08 06:29 PM
    Ok, VZW rep here. First of all, you have 15 days from the time you purchase a new phone to add insurance to that line.

Second of all, I can confirm at the $4.99 insurance covers lost, stolen, water damage, physical damage AND screen breaking. The $5.99 plan covers the same, except it also covers the second year of manufacturers warranty. All new phones, whether having insurance or not are covered in case of a warranty issue - which is not insurance, but if there is a software issue, etc.

I got into a very lengthy discussion on HoFo a few weeks ago with someone who worked at Best Buy who was spreading false rumors about the Asurion insurance versus his in-house BB insurance. He was saying things like Asurion will extend your contract, and the deductible would be higher than $50 (which it is $50 any phone) etc. BUT-that was wrong. And, the Best Buy plan is $9.99 per month and does replace the phone with a brand new one with no deductible, however it DOES NOT replace the phone if it was water damaged.

In my call center, I would say that about 50% of those who have to file insurance claims have water damaged phones, so you better hope and pray your Best Buy phone does not get water damaged, or you're out of luck, which you're covered with Asurion.

I hope this helps out everyone with accurate information before the incorrect info starts circulating in this message thread.
    12-16-08 06:37 PM
    Yes. Except I didn't hear the touchscreen/water BS. When I ordered the phone through tele sales they asked if I wanted insurance. I said yes. I checked my account the other day. Like yours, it still said DENIED INSURANCE. Called em, told em. Got it fixed.

So yeah, check your accounts if you haven't yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 06:40 PM
    caller: yeah my screen is broke...

verizon rep: sorry screen is not covered under insurance

caller: screen? i said i lost it.

duh, these rumors are always around and always so dumb. if you can lose the phone and have it replaced, are they really gonna say breaking it wont replace it? they would end up with alot more lost claims than repair claims which costs them more money.
    12-16-08 06:42 PM
    Is it legal for best buy employees to deceive customers like that? Seems pretty shady.

12-16-08 06:43 PM
    Yea, I knew there was a deadline for insurance and that's why I could've been screwed if the CS rep wasn't so nice as to believe me that BB BS'd me. I got my phone on the 22nd of Nov and here it is 16 Dec.
    12-16-08 06:57 PM
    Yea, I knew there was a deadline for insurance and that's why I could've been screwed if the CS rep wasn't so nice as to believe me that BB BS'd me. I got my phone on the 22nd of Nov and here it is 16 Dec.
    I would call Asurion and confirm they will cover your phone because of the fact BB lied to you. The reason I say this is you want to make sure its noted that if you do have a claim to make in the future that the $4.99 or $5.99 you're paying now isn't a waste if they deny the claim since you didn't get it in the first 15 days of purchase.

It sure isn't best business practices to be talking down a product that VZW uses, in this case Asurion for insurance issues, to be boasting your own in-store products.

And, Semper Fi fellow jarhead! I was in from '81 to '87.
    12-16-08 07:15 PM
    I seriously laugh at anyone who puts faith in Best Buy for anything. They are very deceitful in their practices. You can do a Google search on their tactics in store with pricing on their Intranet site vs their web site. Good luck. I'll sun it up: bait and switch. I don't EVER buy from BB anymore. When you ask someone fromhp Geek Squad if they sell thermal paste and they have no clue what you are talking about, time to find another place to buy computer supplies.

12-16-08 07:25 PM
    Vulcan, the vzw rep put my insurance back on my account w/o question. I've had it for years so it's not like I broke my phone and then got the insurance, I think that's why the VZW rep didn't question me past "is your phone broken now?".

Semper Fi - 2000-2004

This is the last time I'll buy a phone at BB.
    12-16-08 07:28 PM
    This is taken directly from the Asurion Insurance Pamphlet:

Covered Incidents:

Loss, theft, physical damage,
    water damage, mechanical
    or electrical breakdown
    after expiration of the
    manufacturer’s warranty

You can download the information at:

Verizon Program Information
    12-16-08 07:31 PM
    Where BB was fighting that was they wer saying this is a touch screen and verizon doesn't cover it. They'll cover all other screens except the touch, which is where they're getting people to believe them.
    12-16-08 07:38 PM
    I will second the Asurion Insurance. I did get it and one of my dogs jumped on my bed and on the phone (doh). Claw clipped the edge of the screen chipping it which caused a crack to run from edge to edge. Asurion sent me a whole new box with all the trimmings overnight. That phone had the clicking problem so they sent me a second whole new phone with all the trimmings again overnight. The service was great. They didn't make me jump through hoops or anything. They also provided the prepaid labels for sending it back so it was a not a hassel at all.
    12-16-08 07:41 PM
    I always found if you phone is in good shape (pretty new) you get get insurance added. You just need to bring the phone to the store for review.
    12-16-08 07:52 PM
    I always found if you phone is in good shape (pretty new) you get get insurance added. You just need to bring the phone to the store for review.
    You're probably throwing your money away if its not in the first 15 days without an unusual circumstance like what has happened to the original poster.
    12-16-08 08:16 PM
    why is best buy trying to push the insurance? they aren't on commission...
    12-16-08 08:24 PM
    If you bought the insurance from BB you deal directly with them and they bill you monthly for it. So having it say Declined Insurance on your account is normal.

12-16-08 08:32 PM
    I understand you buy their insurance from them but I had the Asurion the day I walked into BB to pick up my storm. They asked if I wanted their insurance, said no I'll think about it, I'll stick w/ Verizon's for now. Not once did I say take it off, which is what they did which could have screwed me seeing as this phone will be destroyed within 6 months.
    12-16-08 08:42 PM
    why is best buy trying to push the insurance? they aren't on commission...
    They are not on commission but I bet they get bonuses for selling insurance.
    12-16-08 09:00 PM
    where did it say DENIED INSURANCE on your account? Mine says "WPP INSURANCE" under the "My Plan" tab so i'm assuming my insurance is good
    12-16-08 09:32 PM
    They are not on commission but I bet they get bonuses for selling insurance.
    Not sure how the states do it
    But in Canada the only people who get bonuses are the managers, and they dont even sell. they just have the keys to turn off the alarm when you pick up a digital camera.
    12-16-08 09:34 PM
    Ok, VZW rep here. First of all, you have 15 days from the time you purchase a new phone to add insurance to that line.

Second of all, I can confirm at the $4.99 insurance covers lost, stolen, water damage, physical damage AND screen breaking. The $5.99 plan covers the same, except it also covers the second year of manufacturers warranty. All new phones, whether having insurance or not are covered in case of a warranty issue - which is not insurance, but if there is a software issue, etc.

I got into a very lengthy discussion on HoFo a few weeks ago with someone who worked at Best Buy who was spreading false rumors about the Asurion insurance versus his in-house BB insurance. He was saying things like Asurion will extend your contract, and the deductible would be higher than $50 (which it is $50 any phone) etc. BUT-that was wrong. And, the Best Buy plan is $9.99 per month and does replace the phone with a brand new one with no deductible, however it DOES NOT replace the phone if it was water damaged.

In my call center, I would say that about 50% of those who have to file insurance claims have water damaged phones, so you better hope and pray your Best Buy phone does not get water damaged, or you're out of luck, which you're covered with Asurion.

I hope this helps out everyone with accurate information before the incorrect info starts circulating in this message thread.
    Does Verizon still have the $1.99/month coverage plan and if so, what does the $1.99 actually cover for a Storm?
    12-16-08 09:46 PM
    That is so lame of Best Buy!

Asurion definitely covers screen damage. I know because I dropped my Storm in the parking lot and totally jacked up the screen on the 10th day I had the phone. I called Verizon and the rep was awesome. I had originally declined insurance and wanted to know if there was anything I could do. The rep said. "It's a good thing you haven't damaged your phone yet, because you can still add insurance. If you happen to damage it tomorrow or in the future, you can make a claim and it will be covered."

I made the claim the next day and had my brand new Storm the following morning. Thanks for taking care of me, VZW rep!
    12-16-08 09:56 PM
    Does Verizon still have the $1.99/month coverage plan and if so, what does the $1.99 actually cover for a Storm?
    It sounds like you're referring to the extended warranty only. It will cover months 13-24. You have a standard warranty with any new phone purchase to your account, but this extends it. I hardly see any accounts with that on it actually.
    12-16-08 10:15 PM
    Best BUy is bad about this.. I bought insurance for one of my macbook's and they screwed me over on it... Salesmen will tell you whatever you want to know!
    12-16-08 10:23 PM
    It sounds like you're referring to the extended warranty only. It will cover months 13-24. You have a standard warranty with any new phone purchase to your account, but this extends it. I hardly see any accounts with that on it actually.
    Strange thing, I just checked my Verizon online account where you can add or delete features and there are no insurance plans offered. It also says under my current plan, Insurance denied. I just got this phone yesterday! I thought there was a 15 day window for me to deecide, guess not.
    12-16-08 10:23 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD