Before I get your hopes up -- its not available for blackberry's

Anyway, I have been talking to someone who works there and they said that there is a problem with the blackberry OS system that is making it difficult for them to make a program that you can download maps too. Its available for winmo and palm os. Any idea what would be keeping them from having a BB compatible version?

its no fun, I could greatly use an offline GPS program

and I don't like trekbuddy
    12-16-08 04:03 PM
    Is it a DRM issue or what exactly is the issue they are having with the BB OS?
    12-16-08 11:48 PM
    no idea, the person said they didn't know.

Sounds fishy to me. programs such as trekbuddy and MGMaps allow you to download maps and view them on BB's so why can't a big company like garmin figure it out when they have for other phones.

silly silly garmin.
    12-17-08 08:37 AM
    If they do this, it would be truly a massive step forward. I think that the problem is "streaming" to the application to a fixed folder on a have/have not Media Card. Now if they just put up a weblink and we download the files/maps and then run an install program and require a certain amount of space on the Media Card then it should work.

Personally I would be perfectly happy to buy the maps online with my PC and then transfer them to my phone. That way I have a backup copy of what I have purchased. In fact, I think that this is the way I want to do it.
    12-17-08 09:08 AM
    Pete6: I doubt that would be the issue, even noice coders can take the RIM sample code and traverse the file system.

It could be a DRM issue so that their data can't be extracted and easily reutilised etc though, other than that I have no idea what it could be, since as others point out other apps already do this.
    12-17-08 10:10 AM
    It's not Garmin's fault.

This is because blackberry devices are being produced to be controlled by an admin. So they will never let you use your device freely. A jailbreak program has to be written for blackberry devices immediately. If you are not a member of a BES server you are a member of BIS server for sure. Without a BES or BIS registration your blackberry is a piece of junk.

So Network Providers do not let Garmin, to let their users to use the mobile maps offline. Offline maps won't let providers to f.uck their customers over network usage.

Thats why there is no real VOIP option also... I am seriously waiting for a hardware keyboard iPhone. Or an alternative hardworking push email service over Nokia devices.

Blackberry is going to waste basket in near future because of their policies.
    Last edited by venedikli; 11-21-09 at 09:45 AM.
    11-21-09 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD