Software For BlackBerry� Pearl (TM) 8120 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.152 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.152
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.110
    * Software Platform: 2.7.0.90
    * File name: 8120M_PBr4.5.0_rel152_PL2.7.0.90_A4.5.0.110_AT&_T. exe
    * File size: 96.68MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download HERE

1. Back up data on Desktop Manager under Back up/restore option
    2. Back up your 3rd party apps. Instructions here--> http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/
    3. Disconnect your BB from Desktop Manager
    4. Download desired OS to your PC
    5. Install/run OS to PC
    6. Delete vendor.xml file. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    7. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should prompt the upgrade. If not click app loader and that should initialize it.
    8. Do not unplug BB during the process. It will take around 30-60 minutes to complete upgrade.

***Steps 2 is optional but recommended
    12-16-08 01:19 PM
    thread stickied
    12-16-08 02:02 PM
    Thanks CX. I've used a lot of phones as of late but I still love my 8120.
    12-16-08 02:53 PM
    Wicked excited! How is the new os running?
    I still have to figure out why my desktop isn't recognizing my pin.
    Ugh. !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 04:30 PM
    I had a lil trouble installing. Ended up having to manually initialize "loader" in the same directory as "vendor.xml". Just thought I'd post this in the hopes of saving someone else pulling their hair out Running Vista (surprised anyone?), DM 4.7. Have updated the handheld software successfully with prior releases.
    Now, I want my hair back, dammit.
    Last edited by deathwiz; 12-16-08 at 06:46 PM.
    12-16-08 06:15 PM
    Please excuse me if I'm missing something here, but why not just go directly to the Blackberry link below, click UPDATE NOW, and let it do everything for you automatically? No need to delete vendor.xml file or anything. No need to even open up your Device Manager.

You just connect your phone to the computer via the USB cord, it will automatically recognize your PIN/model/carrier and then download the appropriate updated OS right to your phone. You just wait about 40 minutes for it to back everything up, wipe the old OS, install the new OS, and then restore all your third party apps. Voila...for non-techies like me, it could not be simpler.

I did this the other day, and it worked perfectly, and no bugs to report.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software
    Last edited by dknyberry; 12-17-08 at 06:37 AM.
    12-17-08 06:20 AM
    IF you are on At&t, dkny. Gotta go the other route if you are not.
    12-17-08 06:44 AM
    IF you are on At&t, dkny. Gotta go the other route if you are not.
    Oops...didn't realize it was carrier specific, since I saw nothing there mentioning carriers. I thought it just automatically updated according to the PIN it recognized. Thanks for the clarification.

12-17-08 07:12 AM
    Any huge noticeable stuff.?
    12-20-08 08:16 PM
    Hi - Well I just did it and thought I was seeing things - memory is hovering at around 20284194 which is really good for me. We'll see if it lasts. The other upgrade messed up my UMA when handing off from UMA to cell so we'll see what this one does. Also, my phone is not mysteriously booting...yet. So, so far so good.
    12-22-08 02:23 AM
    Does anyone know if this contains media manager? I couldn't find a version with media manager? Thanks for your time. Charles.
    12-22-08 03:56 PM
    I can't open .DOC attachments after "upgrading" to this version. Anyone else experience this or know how to fix?
    12-23-08 05:42 PM
    I can't use * or # in the home screen anymore. This is a real bother because I like to check my minutes(#646#), my texts(#674#) and my monthly payment (#225#).
    12-25-08 09:08 AM
    ive tried to upgrade to 4-5 on my tmo 8120, but every time i install 4.5, then i delete the vendor.xml file, then connect my bb to desktop manager it says that i can upgrade to 4.3 and nothing about upgrading to 4.5 can anyone help?
    12-25-08 12:33 PM
    I'm not able to upgrade to 4.5 from 4.3. I followed the steps, but it isn't happening. It doesn't mention the OS when it is installing, just the desktop manager.

Does it have anything to do with me using a TMobile 8120 with AT&T as my carrier? I don't have Blackberry Messenger and some of the other stock applications, and can't download them either.

<edit>
    problem solved... i uninstalled DM 4.7 and installed 4.6. Everything worked fine after that.
    Last edited by deathreborn13; 12-27-08 at 06:23 PM.
    12-27-08 01:46 PM
    i've recently recieved my new replacement phone.
    i had on my last blackberry the lastest OS, being this one.
    but shortly after i downloaded it my desktop manager didn't recognize my blackberry.
    i followed the steps, & thought that i had done everything properly, it wasn't any of my equiptment because this one works just fine with all of the same equiptment that used on the other one.
    So i'm wondering if maybe i did something wrong & i'm looking to avoid it before i upload the OS to this replacement phone.
    thanks.!
    12-29-08 03:34 PM
    Hi

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've just downloaded the newest OS for my 8120, as per the OP. I have desktop manager 4.7, and am currently running 4.5.0.55.

So everything downloads, installs and I delete the Vendor XML file, but all the files in the AppLoader folder seem to be from October 2008, which I think is when I last upgraded.

I've followed the 101 on upgrading to the letter, and have uninstalled everything from my laptop, rebooted and tried again but DM still tells me all I have is .55.

I'm truly stumped, is anyone able to help?

Thanks
    01-04-09 04:32 PM
    did you try a battery pull?
    01-05-09 08:42 PM
    Hi

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've just downloaded the newest OS for my 8120, as per the OP. I have desktop manager 4.7, and am currently running 4.5.0.55.

So everything downloads, installs and I delete the Vendor XML file, but all the files in the AppLoader folder seem to be from October 2008, which I think is when I last upgraded.

I've followed the 101 on upgrading to the letter, and have uninstalled everything from my laptop, rebooted and tried again but DM still tells me all I have is .55.

I'm truly stumped, is anyone able to help?

Thanks
    Try DM 4.6 or under, people have been having problems with DM 4.7
    01-05-09 09:04 PM
    Thanks zerohour, I'll have a look at that later tonight.

01-06-09 02:58 AM
    Try DM 4.6 or under, people have been having problems with DM 4.7
    I'm still having the same issue, it's really confusing me. Has anyone else had the same problem, or is it my stupid laptop?
    01-07-09 02:06 PM
    Anyone having any issues with T-Mobile's UMA? Just curious before I upgrade.
    01-08-09 04:45 PM
    I have UMA and ever since I upgraded from the 4.3 or whatever it originally came with, the main problem is UMA cuts off if I leave my house which is UMA - once I get to the end of the driveway, it is supposed to "seamlessly" switch over to cell...but it cuts me off. It's not huge for me but it is annoying. I look at it as the price I pay for the unauthorized upgrade.

On the latest upgrade, I've had a few instances of uma being in lower case and then I turn off and back on the connection and all is OK. So ....... a few problems but not too too major.

Maybe if tmo ever officially updates, the hand off issues will be corrected.
    01-08-09 05:33 PM
    Ok, confession first, I did post in the sticky about the newest 8120 os but it hasn't been resolved. Mods please feel free to tell me off if I'm not supposed to post here.

Right, the main issue. I'm currently running .55 and am trying to update to .110. I follow the instructions in the 101 on upgrading to the letter, but when I go to delete the Vendor XML file all the files in the Apploader folder say they were last modified in October 2008 (which is when I upgraded last I think). Nevertheless I delete the vendor xml and then start DM (4.6 on the recommendation of a CB member) and plug my BB in. I then get told there is no new software for my BB.

I've uninstalled DM, the OS, deleted every trace of RIM, shut down the computer, restarted and downloaded and installed again. I still have the same problem.

Can someone cleverer than me suggest anything?

Thanks
    01-09-09 04:49 PM
    You installed the new OS on your computer with your BB disconnected right?
    01-09-09 05:47 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD