Hi Everyone!

I've been reading these forums for two years but just recently started posting. I consider myself an expert with PDA's after using for about 6 years. I've been tinkering with the Storm since the day it came out and I think I've discovered a way to significantly improve performance in most facets on the latest OS (.75 Official or .76 from Bell)

The main hardware limitation of the device is the lack of File Free Memory on board.(Application Memory). The way to minimize this limitation and speed up your Storm is to reduce the number of icons/applications on your Homescreen/desktop. You want to keep your "most used 8 applications" as icons on your home screen. Everything else (downloaded applications and set up apps) you want to move into folders included in the "8 most used applications".

I've downloaded multiple applications(Google Maps-Google Mobile-PeakaWho-Viigo-Myspace-Facebook-Storm Wiki- and others)and moved them into my *Applications Folder*. The rest of the "set up" apps(Manage Connections-Clock-Calendar-Power Off-Calculator-Set Up Wizard/Bluetooth-Email Settings-Search-Sounds-Lock-Voice Notes)I've moved into the *Setup Folder*.

My desktop looks like this from the homescreen in Landscape and Portrait.

Options-Contacts-BB Messenger-Messages
    Browser-Applications-Setup-Video Camera

My Convenience keys
    Left-Music......Right-Camera

One thing I've noticed with this device is as the day goes on no matter how many apps you move in and out of (remembering as so many here have said to close out upon leaving)the Application Memory gets reduced substantially. Once you fall below 20MB and less, your Storm will slow to a crawl in just about every conceivable way.

After moving to only 8 icons on the home screen and doing a daily mid day to late afternoon battery pull, my Storm has become a totally different machine. This regimen has also improved battery life. I know it sounds hard to believe, but I encourage all of you to give it a try. I'm quite sure you will be amazed at the difference. Typing speed, web browsing, app switching all move much faster and more efficiently as Application Memory returns above 44MBs.

A couple of other things to keep in mind. Many of the apps "working" for the storm like "PeakaWho-Viigo and many others" are still far from optimized on our device. Running them even though they will work, IMO noticeably decreases overall device performance. Viigo is my favorite BB app and PeakaWho a close second, but I have chosen to remove them and my Storm is running a lot better because of it. I will wait until they are better optimized to run on the Storm.

Lastly, I wanted to say the Storm's hardware is at least 6 months to a year in front of the OS. I'm not going to blame RIMM or Verizon or anybody for not having an OS ready and optimized to take advantage of this WONDROUS TECHNOLOGICALLY INNOVATIVE-REVOLUTIONARY DEVICE right out of the box. As with all new tech, patience is needed and required for Developers and App writers to build products that utilize the device's unique architecture-touchscreen and UI.

Obviously we all want our Storms to be perfect yesterday. Instead of writing how it sucks or how flawed it is, we're all best served by continuing to share tweaks, mods and user settings to collectively build and optimize a better Storm.

Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts.
    Happy Holidays to all!
    12-16-08 04:27 AM
    I have The vodafone storm from holland with the OS 4.7.0.78 and it works so good, everything what you explaind it does already! its fast , no lagg nothing! but for the people who dont have this version, this could be very good for your storm!
    Nice post
    12-16-08 05:05 AM
    I just went down to 8 apps and didn't notice anything really. Although the internet seems a little faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 05:15 AM
    This guy loves his storm as much as I do. You're correct the hardware is clearly ahead of the OS. As the OS matures, this thing is going to turn into much more desirable device than it already is.

Last I heard, Verizon has been seeing some incredible sales from the Storm.
    12-16-08 05:21 AM
    Thank you for your post. It's refreshing to find someone who can present not only problems, but solutions to those problems.
    12-16-08 05:32 AM
    Great detail and suggestions--I will try some of these, but my Storm is already running fine. I do notice that memory gradually works its way down to 20M.
    12-16-08 05:46 AM
    I have tried your suggests, if nothing else it has cleaned up the menu!

My memory would stay at around 30MB whatever I use, but after removing some unwanted apps and now sorting the menu area out I am seeing 35+MB consistently which is nice.
    12-16-08 05:56 AM
    Well said!
    12-16-08 06:12 AM
    Thanks so much for that UkJay43. I set up folders last night and got my icons on the home screen down to 8, I havent really had time to play enough yet to know if this has improved performance, but I will be sure to let you know.

As for the hardware being ahead of the OS, that makes me even more excited about the potential of this already amazing device!
    12-16-08 06:19 AM
    Thanks for the info.

12-16-08 06:30 AM
    Thanks for the info...I am down to 7 icons but the avail mem is only 41.1MB. How do you get it to above 44MB?
    12-16-08 07:06 AM
    I agree with every thing you say. However, why would you need a battery pull.

Sounds like the apps have tremendous memory leaks and don't clean up well after themselves. Furthermore, the OS should do a better job of this as well.

It's hard to imagine that RIM would not create efficient apps. Other third party apps I kinda of expect it.

I also only have 8 icons but more for practical reasons. I hardly ever use the rest.
    12-16-08 07:17 AM
    I will have to clean up my desktop and work on other memory optimizations. Speed is of the essence!
    12-16-08 07:21 AM
    Thanks for the info...I am down to 7 icons but the avail mem is only 41.1MB. How do you get it to above 44MB?
    I have 60MB free. =)
    12-16-08 08:09 AM
    Great thread, really.

I am running .76 but regardless of what OS (.65 or .75 in addition) my file free memory has yet to dip below 32-30 MB. Not sure why others are experiencing this but I too close out all apps after using them.

Will try to move some icons to folders though most of my unused icons I just hide and that seems to do the trick as well.
    12-16-08 08:09 AM
    how do you check your memory status that you guys are talking about?
    12-16-08 08:24 AM
    how do you check your memory status that you guys are talking about?
    Options>Memory

Scroll down and you will see "Application Memory". It tells you how much free space you have.

Or you can go to Option>Status and it tells you how much space you have in bytes.
    12-16-08 08:37 AM
    First off, I own a Mac and do not use DM or PocketMac. I just load files I want on the phone to the drive. I have been trying to go through my phone and get rid of things I dont use. Im having a **** of a time getting the Verizon-loaded IM apps (WindowsLive, Yahoo! Mess., Google Talk...) to permanently delete. They aren't in my apps list in advanced options. I delete the servie books and the icon goes away in the IM section, btu if I restart my phone it comes right back. Any help?

p.s. I got rid of FlyCast, Trapster, and MySpace. My app memory went from 28.6mb to 41.1mb just after a SoftReset (had to leave that one )
    12-16-08 08:40 AM
    This guy loves his storm as much as I do. You're correct the hardware is clearly ahead of the OS. As the OS matures, this thing is going to turn into much more desirable device than it already is.

Last I heard, Verizon has been seeing some incredible sales from the Storm.
    The storm has been selling so well, vzw is still -4000 units in the warehouse. Hence why the shipping is taking so long. At one point, they were selling at a rate of 100 per minute.

12-16-08 08:47 AM
    I just went down to 8 apps and didn't notice anything really. Although the internet seems a little faster.

Remember to pull your battery and make this a daily regimen for about a week. My improvememt has been continual.

12-16-08 08:50 AM
    Hi Everyone!

I've been reading these forums for two years but just recently started posting. I consider myself an expert with PDA's after using for about 6 years. I've been tinkering with the Storm since the day it came out and I think I've discovered a way to significantly improve performance in most facets on the latest OS (.75 Official or .76 from Bell)
    I'm not here trying to bash you but just becuase you are an expert with PDA's pretty much means nothing in the BB world. They are two seperate beasts.
    12-16-08 08:57 AM
    First off, I own a Mac and do not use DM or PocketMac. I just load files I want on the phone to the drive. I have been trying to go through my phone and get rid of things I dont use. Im having a **** of a time getting the Verizon-loaded IM apps (WindowsLive, Yahoo! Mess., Google Talk...) to permanently delete. They aren't in my apps list in advanced options. I delete the servie books and the icon goes away in the IM section, btu if I restart my phone it comes right back. Any help?

p.s. I got rid of FlyCast, Trapster, and MySpace. My app memory went from 28.6mb to 41.1mb just after a SoftReset (had to leave that one )
    Those are being pushed out to your phone. Not sure how you would go about removing them though.
    12-16-08 08:59 AM
    I'm not here trying to bash you but just becuase you are an expert with PDA's pretty much means nothing in the BB world. They are two seperate beasts.
    Agreed.

But other than "calling me out", do you have a comment that contributes to the thread or helps improve the performance of the Storm?

12-16-08 09:04 AM
    Those are being pushed out to your phone. Not sure how you would go about removing them though.
    Would I be able to STOP this push? If so, would it also be possible to remove the service books after stopping the push to completely remove them?
    12-16-08 09:07 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I went from 22 icons down to 9 so I'll keep an eye out on the amt of app memory available throughout the day to see if there's improvement.
    12-16-08 09:13 AM
397 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD