My aunt told me that 1 of the sprint reps told her that sprint will be getting the iphone in a year or so because google dropped a lot of money into sprint because they have the fastest network and that att plans on transferring over the iphone. Its just what my aunt told me that a rep told her so don't flame me. Anyone hear anything like this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 09:42 AM
    Might be a little tough because the iPhone is a GSM phone, and I don't think they are going to be making a CDMA version. Now if you were talking about the G1 (Google phone) I am pretty sure they have plans to drop a phone on Sprints network running Android.

As for Sprint reps, everyone should take what they say with a grain of salt, as they would also tell you that the sky is purple and tastes like cherries.
    12-15-08 11:30 AM
    I'm actually kind of curious about Android phones. They seem to have a lot of interesting features about them. Time will tell.

A BB using Android might be worth its weight in gold.

12-15-08 12:08 PM
    I'm actually kind of curious about Android phones. They seem to have a lot of interesting features about them. Time will tell.

I agree with you on that!! I would love to have Linux running on my Curve.
    12-15-08 01:19 PM
    Very true about reps. They will do what they can to make a sale. I work as a CSR for verizon wireless and store reps are a pain. Such as they'll call up requesting that I credit back an account when they could very well to it themselves. They just need manager approvial in the store. Everything a store rep promisses, get it in wrighting with they're name and date.

12-15-08 01:55 PM
    Moreover, while Sprint offers nice phones and very competitive rates compared to AT&T and Verizon there is no way they would be considered as having the "fastest" network. There is no way google or apple would go to them for the speed of their network. Verizon and AT&T have way better 3G coverage (EVDO REv. A for Verizon) imho.
    12-15-08 02:42 PM
    apple did hire (is hiring ) CDMA developers. I cant put a link up yet but its a easy find just google it.
    12-15-08 03:14 PM
    at&t has exclusivity right to the iPhone for 2 more years though. I dont see Apple manufacturing a CDMA version of the iPhone for Sprint. Every country that has the iPhone uses them on a GSM network, which is way more popular than CDMA. It would just be silly of Apple to manufacture a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, which is a small demographic compared to the rest of the world, or even the US for that matter. I don't believe that rumor at all.
    12-15-08 03:14 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk of all cell phones becoming GSM?

12-15-08 03:20 PM
    An iPhone on sprint would be interesting. What would they call it though? I'm guessing it would have a name change because sprint would want the title iPhone for their company.

12-15-08 04:22 PM
    Samsung Instinct, Meet the Apple Reflex!

LOLOL
    12-15-08 04:47 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk of all cell phones becoming GSM?

I heard that VZW will be going GSM pretty soon-

How soon? I don't know.

But Soon.

Supposedly when they go 4G.
    12-15-08 04:48 PM
    I hope if we ever do ge the iPhone it isn't a POS

12-15-08 05:46 PM
    at&t has exclusivity right to the iPhone for 2 more years though. I dont see Apple manufacturing a CDMA version of the iPhone for Sprint. Every country that has the iPhone uses them on a GSM network, which is way more popular than CDMA. It would just be silly of Apple to manufacture a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, which is a small demographic compared to the rest of the world, or even the US for that matter. I don't believe that rumor at all.
    I second that motion. Besides, Sprint just lost a sh!tload of subscribers last quarter and the quarter before that. Don't expect anything cool coming out for Sprint. Also, as a former inventory manager at a Sprint retail location, the people that work in the store have absolutely no clue whats going to be on the shelves in 6 months. They may get a heads up a month before a phone hits but thats about it.
    12-15-08 05:49 PM

Here is as close as you get for now.... looks a lot like a BB with Android.. unlocked cheap & available in January.. Kogan Agora

Buy LCD TVs, HD TV, Plasma, GPS and Digital Photoframes online now. Cheapest LCD TVs in Australia.
    12-16-08 01:16 AM
    Nothing like a knock-off! Lol

12-16-08 05:37 AM
    ok so i was mistaken. I spoke with my Retail Account Exec. at&t has exclusivity for 5 years. Not 2. my bad. no iPhone for Sprint. Sorry.
    12-16-08 07:21 AM
    Moreover, while Sprint offers nice phones and very competitive rates compared to AT&T and Verizon there is no way they would be considered as having the "fastest" network. There is no way google or apple would go to them for the speed of their network. Verizon and AT&T have way better 3G coverage (EVDO REv. A for Verizon) imho.

Sprint and Verizon run on the same 3G network. And Sprint has always had faster data speeds and more reliability.

Product Spotlight: EV-DO Showdown - Verizon vs. Sprint - Who is King of EV-DO? - dslreports.com
    12-16-08 09:27 AM
    I'll give you this one study from 2007, but you can't honestly say that Sprint is the superior network? When it comes to service and coverage they are behind both Verizon and AT&T. I know that these issues are certainly area dependent, but check consumer reports. The people across the country have spoken.

Sprint in last place the last 2 years. this rates coverage, service and overall consumer satisfaction. I am all for competition and especially for competition in the CDMA arena, however, I am not sure Sprint will be around in the next 5 years based on the current state of affairs.
    12-16-08 10:40 AM
    I see Sprint pulling something outta their @sses to give them enough boost to make it.

12-16-08 12:07 PM
    I see Sprint pulling something outta their @sses to give them enough boost to make it.

......maybe a sick android handset. That could really drive sales.
    12-16-08 02:36 PM
    Regardless-

I Doubt Apple would be okay with using either VZW or Sprint.

VZW and Sprint want to push VCast and Raphsody down their customers throats, whereas Apple seeks to profit off of iTunes.

It would be a conflict of interest on both sides.

Either way, Apple won't allow Vcast/Raphsody as the default Music Provider-

Nor Will VZW/Sprint Allow Apple to get fat off of iTunes Purchases while neglecting VCast/Raphsody.
    12-16-08 02:49 PM
    ......maybe a sick android handset. That could really drive sales.
    I know what "android" is in this context, but that post still gave me this image of a "personal assistant 'bot" asking, "Now, whom would you like to call today, sir?"
    12-16-08 03:23 PM
    I know what "android" is in this context, but that post still gave me this image of a "personal assistant 'bot" asking, "Now, whom would you like to call today, sir?"
    That Would Be Cool!

But Hard to Fit in a Purse!

12-16-08 03:27 PM
    I heard that VZW will be going GSM pretty soon-

How soon? I don't know.

But Soon.

Supposedly when they go 4G.
    It's not GSM persay....

3GPP Long Term Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a "kinda GSM, kinda Not" sorta deal.
    12-16-08 04:02 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD