So for the first time tonight I wanted to record a video. I opened the app and started a record with the flash on. It went a little over a minute then it froze up...I thought maybe I hit the max time (as I never used it before, so I didn't know). The I looked at the recorded time and it would jump every few seconds but the image was frozen. Then it completely froze. I had to do a batt pull to fix it.

Tried again, shorter video. Recorded what I wanted, hit pause. After a few seconds it gave me some error about how it cannot be saved.

Gave up.

Checked in my Media App --> Videos. I see both listed. I try to play each one at it says "The media being played is of an unsupported format."

And just now while typing this post I tried again and noticed something. Both the videos before were recorded with the phone portrait. When I did it landscape this time...it worked. Tried another video portrait (under 10 sec)...got the same error. WTF?

Anyone else? Thoughts? Recording video is cool....if I could actually do it.
    12-15-08 12:57 AM
    works like a charm for me .
    12-15-08 12:58 AM
    works like a charm for me .
    in portrait too?
    12-15-08 01:03 AM
    I took 15 videos at a concert I went to. Each one is about 4 or more minutes long.

For one song though, the screen went distorted and now it gives me the unsupported format nonsense.

It has only happened to me that one time though.

You might want to look into getting a replacement.
    12-15-08 01:03 AM
    in portrait too?
    I took some of my videos in both portrait and landscape.
    12-15-08 01:04 AM
    portrait is working like 50/50 right now for me doing tests.

do me a favor? record a 10+ second video in normal quality with flash on. hit pause. count to ten and then hit stop. does it save with no error?
    12-15-08 01:07 AM
    do me a favor? record a 10+ second video. hit pause. count to ten and then hit stop. does it save with no error?
    Mine saved fine and plays back fine.
    12-15-08 01:09 AM
    This is a known problem and I can only guess RIM will include a fix for it in one of the upcoming updates. Untill then they've posted a workaround ;although it only seems to help with the unsupported format error, not the freezing up while recording.
    Playing a video on the BlackBerry Storm smartphone results in the error message media being played is an unsupported format
    12-15-08 01:25 AM
    This happens to me as well in portrait. So far its been fine in landscape. However several times I've forgotton & started recording from portrait.
    12-15-08 01:47 AM
    I just got a new Storm, had problems with the "cannot save" error. Then I ordered a replacement and right out of the box had the exact same problem. Clearly a software issue.

-Crow
    01-22-09 07:18 PM
    Ya Im having the same issue. tried to shoot some veido for work today and no luck.
    01-22-09 10:59 PM
    I tested this on my Storm. I stopped the video at 15m 31s, the file just over 56 mb. I never really use the camcorder tho.
    01-22-09 11:17 PM
    Which version are you on? I had similar issues on .75 and .83, .90 is working great for me so far, Ive only take 2 videos but no probs yet.
    01-22-09 11:29 PM
    Which version are you on? I had similar issues on .75 and .83, .90 is working great for me so far, Ive only take 2 videos but no probs yet.
    Actually it's a repeat of a test. I did 10m on .75 (to test vid I recorded a guy's 5m youtube of his Storm locking up, twice). The 15m is on .90.
    01-22-09 11:37 PM
    i recorded clips of a styles p concert i was at ... some from 2-5 minutes long with no problems
    01-23-09 12:14 AM
    I've had two out of five recordings fail to save. Thankfully they were just test recordings, and not definitive proof of ET living in the White House
    01-23-09 12:33 AM
    I have yet to get a video to work.
    01-23-09 02:00 AM
    This is a known problem and I can only guess RIM will include a fix for it in one of the upcoming updates. Untill then they've posted a workaround ;although it only seems to help with the unsupported format error, not the freezing up while recording.
    Wow, very cool. The workaround worked for me. Only issue I was having was the unsupported thing (at least so far).

Thanks!
    03-13-09 12:35 PM
    I am on .75, mine works fine in both modes, no time limit, no lockups , but I have never found I needed to use the flash, maybe it is just too much of a drain on the battery at one time
    03-14-09 10:05 PM
    I tried to record my son last night and got this error. I was actually more pissed but thats why I kept my Dare as a camera.
    03-15-09 11:51 AM
    I had this issue too with .75... I know I had it again after upgrading the OS, but don't remember what version.

I'm currently running .114 and did some tests with the flash on and off, in landscape and portrait views and they all saved fine.

Its most likely a bug in the OS. See if upgrading will fix it.
    03-15-09 01:06 PM
    so am i.
    i wanted to take a video wit the .75 didnt work same problems as all of you
    upgrade the OS to .103 and still same problem..
    now i have .113 and so far is working hopefully is a OS issue and no a hardware problem, wont be nice to replace the phone after all i have add in it even tough can back it up......i just make a 70 sec video...
    03-15-09 02:23 PM
    ok i just did another test......
    here are some thing
    it seems that OS .113/p.114 made the VC work with or with out flash..
    but when you set the video *** MMS it only record 22 exactly seconds..
    so make sure if you want long videos its set as a normal no MMS...
    03-15-09 02:35 PM
    I just got my Storm last Thursday and I cannot take video. But if it's a software issue, nothing I can do about it but wait for an update or update to a beta at my own risk right? Battery pull didn't work.

Oh, and I have a light pixel on my screen anyhow, so when I go back to exchange husband's holster, I'll ask about both. I'd hate to get a new one and have same problems and more pixels or something else wrong.
    03-16-09 04:58 PM
    Nope, though I haven't tried it since I upgraded to the hybrid os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 06:34 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD