Whats up everyone, new here --

curious, does anyone know if it's possible (and if so, how) to set up the 8130 as an external modem for a PC on the Telus network?

I've read a bit around about it, but most of the articles are old, and or don't include the 8130.

Thanks for any input.
    12-15-07 06:02 PM
    I don't know if it is possible on Telus but it is on Verizon and Sprint but try this:

BlackBerry Search Results

And is Phone as a Modem included in your plan? If not you will probably incur extra charges.
    12-15-07 06:39 PM
    Telus is very sneeky if you ask me.

When I got my plan, they gave me 3 months of unlimited web & email -- my current plan is 4 MB a month @ $12 per extra MB used.

They obviously gave me this promotion to get used to using the web so that I would either upgrade my current plan or incur ridiculous data charges on a monthly basis until I upgrade my plan.

Telus doesn't publicly state 'phone as modem' in any of it's PDA plans -- although they do mention it's an option on other pages on it's website.

The thing is, I don't think Telus believed I would be tethering when they gave me this promotion -- so when I called client services this afternoon, I got a pleasant surprise when a more than friendly Telus rep told me to, "go nuts" (I swear, her words).

And how tempting is it, when your living in a small rural town with only dial up as an internet option, connecting at 26.6 kbps -- you have your bloody cell phone that can connect you at 115.2 kbps!

So it got me thinking, does Telus have an "unlimited" data plan for tethering? Of course not -- the best option? It's $100 / month for a 1 GB of data transfer.

So I'm told to download the living **** out of the Telus network while I can, but this story truly doesn't help when I'm always thinking that cell phone companies are always out to get you, and they always have the last laugh.

http:// ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/071213/technology/technology_big_cellphone_charges_1
    Last edited by twerp00; 12-16-07 at 09:20 PM.
    12-16-07 09:17 PM
    I know there is an unlimited plan now for 100$/mth.. To match Rogers.. But I totally agree! 115 vs 26.. That's why I got the berry..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-07 08:38 PM
    Guys theres 2 ways to teather that i know of.
    Alltel has a handy site "software.alltel.com" that allows provides you to easily get the drivers you need for your blackberry and installs the teathering software automatically its a piece of cake. BUT... if you try you luck with that then there is another option.

1) make sure your blackberry drivers are current and that you have blackberry device manager open and connected

2)go to network connections "set up new network connection"

3)set up a new dial up connection **for this you will need your carriers dial to number (alltel is #777 for instance), your username (example [email protected]), and a password (for example "alltel")
    ***all of this your carrier should be able to provide you with (note: you may have to talk to tech or advanced tech, not just customer care)

4) once you have a connection set up you can access the web by clicking connect/dial. in most cases you have to go into the connection properties and make sure the blackberry is selected as the modem (most computers default to the computers internal modem)

to my knowledge you can do this with just about any carrier. just be careful some may bill you for usage, others may only see it as blackberry data and think your just using your phone browser
    05-22-08 11:19 PM
    Alltel in my area of the midwest charges extra to use the phone as a modem. We also had only dial up available where we were outside the city. I ended up using a sprint broadband card in a wireless router for our house. Did that for a couple years. Recently Qwest came through with internet so I switched to that. My friend uses his phone as a modem for his internet service at home. He told me it costs an extra $20 on his plan. Worth it for high speed if all you have is dial up.
    05-22-08 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD