Make sure you have all the right programs installed by running:

sudo apt-get install bluez-utils bluez-pin ppp

First set the phone to listen for pairing and then use your BT icon in the tray to setup a new device. You'll search and see your phone. Click on it and say you want to connect. Ubuntu will then generate a random 4 digit pin. Enter this pin into your phone. Now from the phone or the laptop connect to the phone and you'll see a message on the phone asking if that it ok. Say don't ask this question again and allow it.

Next you'll need the MAC of your phone. Go to Manage Connections Setup Bluetooth (then cancel), then BB button and options. Scroll down to Device Address and write that number down. Or just run this command:

sdptool browse your-phone-mac-address

You'll get to see all the services that are provided by your phone... You'll find that these services match the check boxes that you have enabled in your options window that you're in right now... Look for Service Name: Dial-up Networking. Under that section you'll see a channel. Write this number down.

Edit the file /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf (you'll need root permissions). Press Alt+F2 and run "gksudo gedit /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf" If you prefer use Vi (my personal favorite) or whatever editor. If you have a personal favorite though you're on your own as to how to edit that file...

Make the file read like this: (replace with your phone's mac and channel)
    Code:
    rfcomm0 {
            bind yes;
            device your-phone-mac-address;
            channel your-phone-rfcomm-channel;
            comment "Bluetooth PPP Connection";
    }
    Next run this command:
    sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart

Next we setup the PPP scripts... If you're on Verizon you want to go to here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bl...Dialup/Verizon

there are 4 files that you'll need to create. Then simply from the console run.

sudo pon verizon

and poof you're online. If you've not paid for tethering service you'll find that the first page you pull up takes you to a Verizon page telling you you have to pay the evil empire. Just click subscribe and they add the 15 or 30 dollars to your account monthly based on if you're on a BIS or BES plan. Once you're done tethering you can simply call them and tell them you no longer need the service and they take it off and you only have to pay for the days that you were subscribed to the services.

Here are a few other PPP scripts:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bl...Dialup/TMobile
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bl...ialup/Cingular
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bl...ialup/Vodafone

I used this configuration over bluetooth and received an 800kbit download rate and I'm not in an EVDO Rev. A part of town. Just straight up EVDO. I was able to download firefox from a local server at about 65kB/sec. Not too shabby... I'd have never considered BT DUN with my last phone but it didn't have BT2.0 so USB was my only option.
    12-12-08 03:20 AM
    Can this be done by connecting via usb instead of bluetooth? How do the instructions change?
    12-17-08 10:32 AM
    Can it be done... Yes... I've made it work. But you're going to be downloading source code for several products, you're going to be compiling them yourself and having to do quite a good bit of configuring. Its not worth covering here since BT2.0 works fast enough to handle the bandwidth of the cell connection.

It does seem to add a bit of latency though...
    12-17-08 10:11 PM
    When I check to see if I have all the right programs installed, I get :

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    bluez-utils is already the newest version.
    E: Couldn't find package bluez-pin
    When I try to connect with my Storm, I enter the PIN but it fails after that. Any ideas? Just FYI, I'm running XP/Ubuntu 8.10 on an MSI Wind U100 and am able to connect to my headset in Ubuntu. Also, I have no problem connecting to my phone via bluetooth in XP.
    01-14-09 12:06 AM
    What pin are you entering? Are you actually matching things up on both ends or are you putting in 0000 or something silly?
    01-14-09 12:09 AM
    Bluez-pin wasn't available when I installed either (8.10 as well). I believe this is because its packages have been rolled up into the bluetooth packages that are automatically installed in the OS.

As for the connection issues...I had this problem as well I believe. Is the behavior that you enter your pin, it says you are connected, but then you can't actually "test" that you are connected? I remember I had to try about 5 times before the connection worked, and I found it helped to give both sides a chance to "think" before doing stuff, i.e. don't rush commands.

One thing I would try is to go ahead and complete the rest of the tutorial (move on to MAC step) if possible. Once I got the rest of that setup connection was always automatic and very speed. Problem seemed to be for me it "appeared" things weren't working when they really were.

Hope this helps.
    01-14-09 08:10 AM
    Device: Sprint BB Curve 8330
    BB OS: 4.3
    Desktop OS: Ubuntu 8.04.1
    Attempting to Tether Via Bluetooth

I followed your instructions as well as those found in the ubuntu documentation for BluetoothDialup/Verizon. I created the /etc/chatscripts/verizon file but changed the name to /etc/chatscripts/sprint being that is my current provider no big deal. I created /etc/ppp/peers/sprint leaving user blank. I have used other programs to tether other phones successfully for example Palms and Sanyos and Sprint does not require a user my /etc/ppp/peers/sprint file looks as such:

hide-password
    /dev/rfcomm0
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/sprint"
    noauth
    defaultroute
    usepeerdns
    connect-delay 10000
    user
    lock
    lcp-echo-failure 4
    lcp-echo-interval 65535

I run the command sudo pon sprint and my heart skips a beat. I get "modem mode enabled" on the blackberry. Never have received this message before. I have tried BARRY and XmBlackberry with absolutely no luck. But, even with this message on the BB I still have no network connection. Any Ideas? Anymore info I can provide let me know.
    01-22-09 10:36 AM
    I had a similar issue. I got connected and then didn't have network access as I checked from the terminal. But when I finally tried to load a web page I was taken to a VZW page that stated I wasn't provisioned for tethering. I clicked a single button and poof I was provisioned. They said to give it some time and I'd then be good to go. I waited about 2 minutes (it said it would take more but I'm impatient) and poof all was working for me.

Beyond that and checking that passwords are correct and what not thats the best advice I have at the moment. You may try turning on logging and looking at the pppd output.
    01-22-09 11:11 AM
    Do you think it doesn't work because I don't pay for a PAM plan with sprint. With my treo I used USBModem by Mobile-Stream. This bypassed the PAM plan by installing a modem enabling app directly on the phone. I got the modem enabled on the BB but there just didn't seem to be a connection to the network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 12:05 PM
    I "sudo'd" all the scritps needed and my BB9530 is almost good to go, but have one slight problem being new to Ubuntu and using it to connect with my BB9530.

Got a message saying:

/usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/verizon: unrecognized option '/dev/rfcomm0'

I could guess at what that means, but how to fix it...hmm, need help on this.

Note: this is the last item for me to completely drop windows.

Thanks in advance for any help you can spare.

Avery,
    01-24-09 03:27 PM
    This is telling you that rfcomm0 has not been created. I am not in front of my PC right now. Sorry I can't offer more help. Try troubleshooting that and make sure rfcomm is assigned to the right channel.

01-24-09 03:56 PM
    That leads to the obvious question, how do I make an rfcomm file? Basically I am a newbie, who's over their head here.

I did look this up on the internet, but am now more confused than before.

I know how to type sudo gedit /etc/ and so on, then copy, paste, and follow instuctions.

However, I did change my channel to 3 and corrected a phone number typo and got the same

/usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/verizon: unrecognized option '/dev/rfcomm0'

Also need to know if I should have typed in a password, and if the rfcomm should read something different than rfcomm0.

Avery,
    01-25-09 06:23 PM
    For anyone interested see the thread below:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f42/spr...8-04-a-147514/

It explains how I was able to get my Sprint 8330 tethered via bluetooth. It works using Sprint's latest 4.5.0.131 OS as well. I want to give some props to bthoward in this thread for helping me out. If the instructions in the thread below work or does not work for you leave me some feedback either way. Thanks.

Last edited by Nlagazzi; 02-08-09 at 12:58 AM.
    02-08-09 12:54 AM
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has tethered BB 8130 with Ubuntu 9.04 with data cable. I am subscribed to GrameenPhone EDGE Network in Bangladesh and would like to use my BB as a modem.
    Any help will be highly appreciated .
    Thanks.
    06-02-09 03:31 AM
    Got a message saying:

I had to create /dev/rfcomm0 manually. First, check to see if it exists yet:

ls /dev/rfcomm0

If it doesn't, create it and restart bluetooth again:

cd /dev && sudo mknod --mode 666 /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
    06-20-09 12:25 PM
    I am stuck on this part: "Look for Service Name: Dial-up Networking. Under that section you'll see a channel." I have found Dial-up Networking but there is no channel listed. I am on the Storm with .148 installed.
    07-09-09 11:15 AM
    I had to create /dev/rfcomm0 manually. First, check to see if it exists yet:

ls /dev/rfcomm0

If it doesn't, create it and restart bluetooth again:

cd /dev && sudo mknod --mode 666 /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
    I had to do this as well - Ubuntu does not create this device. It also appears that one *must* have the tethering plan. I don't yet and get an error in pppd:

Aug 25 20:45:42 aslan pppd[10954]: Serial connection established.
    Aug 25 20:45:42 aslan pppd[10954]: using channel 2
    Aug 25 20:45:42 aslan pppd[10954]: Using interface ppp0
    Aug 25 20:45:42 aslan pppd[10954]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
    Aug 25 20:45:43 aslan pppd[10954]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9dd46751> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    Aug 25 20:45:43 aslan pppd[10954]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap>]
    Aug 25 20:45:43 aslan pppd[10954]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap>]
    Aug 25 20:45:43 aslan pppd[10954]: rcvd [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 <magic 0x9dd46751> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    Aug 25 20:45:43 aslan pppd[10954]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0>]
    Aug 25 20:45:44 aslan pppd[10954]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0>]
    Aug 25 20:45:44 aslan pppd[10954]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    Aug 25 20:45:44 aslan pppd[10954]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="aslan" password=<hidden>]
    Aug 25 20:45:44 aslan pppd[10954]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    Aug 25 20:45:45 aslan pppd[10954]: rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x1]
    Aug 25 20:45:45 aslan pppd[10954]: LCP terminated by peer
    Aug 25 20:45:45 aslan pppd[10954]: sent [LCP TermAck id=0x1]
    Aug 25 20:45:45 aslan pppd[10954]: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x1]
    Aug 25 20:45:45 aslan pppd[10954]: Connection terminated.
    Aug 25 20:45:46 aslan pppd[10954]: Exit.

I'm not sure why it's saying:
    Aug 25 20:45:42 aslan pppd[10954]: using channel 2

when I configured for channel 1. I also am not sure why it's using a username of aslan:
    Aug 25 20:45:44 aslan pppd[10954]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="aslan" password=<hidden>]

that's the hostname... not sure why it's picking that up.

Obviously I have to turn on tethering first and test it again... but in the meantime, comments?
    08-25-09 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD