Dear All,
    Re: December Update on PRIV: SD Card not recognised, Files "missing" on SD Card, Internal Phone Memory "missing"
    I've been having major issues with my beloved PRIV since the update in December 2017 that took place shortly before Christmas.
    To explain what's happening, my phone autoupdated the firmware for my PRIV overnight and when I woke up and saw my phone, NONE of the Apps and photos and other data that was saved onto a 128GB Samsung Micro SD Card that I had formatted to be used for "internal" storage since day one, appeared. Equally, when I went to the File Manager app to see where the data might be, nothing was showing in internal memory for the phone (despite there being at least 1GB of space as far as I was aware) and nothing was showing in terms of an internal SD card drive, or even an external one in case it had switched somehow. Needless to say, my phone has not worked properly since December and no update has been released to fix what I believe to be an update issue due to the sudden change in my phone's memory literally overnight. To continue, panicking and worrying that I had lost all of my photos and files and precious memories, I ejected the SD and checked via my PC but the SD Card was showing as empty. Now really sweating, I searched all of the forums here, and Google in general for anyone suffering the same bizarre problem but I can't seem to find anyone who's been through this or has any hint at a solution to such problems. I've not come across anyone else complaining about a) the SD card not showing at all when inserted in the phone, and b) the phone memory not showing any indication of data either. On top of that, I tried to take a photo to see if new data could be added, but a message tells me that the phone's internal memory is full (even though File Manager cannot detect any memory whatsoever).
    I should add that I've downloaded some "paid for" software in the form of EaseUS Data Recovery and iCare Data Recovery, and used both to "find" files on my SD Card. They both found varying amounts of data BUT worryingly I cannot see any photos or documents, but this might be because the data is in an unrecognisable file format due to being formatted as internal phone memory I hypothesise. Finally, I've tried inserting another functioning SD Card into the phone but that cannot be detected either, so the slot may not be working or cards are no longer being recognised. That's my problem in a nutshell.
    Can anyone help and is anyone else suffering from this issue and does anyone know of a solution???
    Please help. I'm absolutely desperate and at my wit's end and do not want to go for any other brand of phone after over a decade of BB loyalty...
    02-15-18 08:43 PM
    I'm confused. The final update for the Priv was the Oct 2017 release AAQ28x.

Adoptable storage is never a good idea. Your situation is unresolvable.

You should always have everything synced to the cloud.
    Last edited by conite; 02-16-18 at 06:35 AM.
    Wezard likes this.
    02-15-18 10:06 PM
    Dear All,
    Re: December Update on PRIV: SD Card not recognised, Files "missing" on SD Card, Internal Phone Memory "missing"
    I've been having major issues with my beloved PRIV since the update in December 2017 that took place shortly before Christmas.
    To explain what's happening, my phone autoupdated the firmware for my PRIV overnight and when I woke up and saw my phone, NONE of the Apps and photos and other data that was saved onto a 128GB Samsung Micro SD Card that I had formatted to be used for "internal" storage since day one, appeared. Equally, when I went to the File Manager app to see where the data might be, nothing was showing in internal memory for the phone (despite there being at least 1GB of space as far as I was aware) and nothing was showing in terms of an internal SD card drive, or even an external one in case it had switched somehow. Needless to say, my phone has not worked properly since December and no update has been released to fix what I believe to be an update issue due to the sudden change in my phone's memory literally overnight. To continue, panicking and worrying that I had lost all of my photos and files and precious memories, I ejected the SD and checked via my PC but the SD Card was showing as empty. Now really sweating, I searched all of the forums here, and Google in general for anyone suffering the same bizarre problem but I can't seem to find anyone who's been through this or has any hint at a solution to such problems. I've not come across anyone else complaining about a) the SD card not showing at all when inserted in the phone, and b) the phone memory not showing any indication of data either. On top of that, I tried to take a photo to see if new data could be added, but a message tells me that the phone's internal memory is full (even though File Manager cannot detect any memory whatsoever).
    I should add that I've downloaded some "paid for" software in the form of EaseUS Data Recovery and iCare Data Recovery, and used both to "find" files on my SD Card. They both found varying amounts of data BUT worryingly I cannot see any photos or documents, but this might be because the data is in an unrecognisable file format due to being formatted as internal phone memory I hypothesise. Finally, I've tried inserting another functioning SD Card into the phone but that cannot be detected either, so the slot may not be working or cards are no longer being recognised. That's my problem in a nutshell.
    Can anyone help and is anyone else suffering from this issue and does anyone know of a solution???
    Please help. I'm absolutely desperate and at my wit's end and do not want to go for any other brand of phone after over a decade of BB loyalty...
    Hi, so that was a bad idea to format the Sd card as Internal. That was happen to me too when i did like you did. I had to learn that when the Sd is formated as Internal and something goes wrong, you will never get your Data out of your Sd card because of encryption. Nothing i have tried worked for me. Even my Priv could not get my Data back again. I could throw my Sd Card in the trash, because you can' t read it out with PC or whatever. Sorry for my bad English, i'm German.
    02-16-18 04:31 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if it was a Priv-specific update, but it was a Blackberry system update of sorts (perhaps it was the Hub, but I can't quite recall) that occurred about 3 days before Xmas 2017.
    I now know that adoptable storage is a bad idea having read other negative experiences.

Are you certain the situation is unresolvable? What makes you say that with such conviction? Sorry for asking, it's just that I'm not sure if I should cling to hope and the chance that someone reading these forums will have a solution...
    02-17-18 08:12 AM
    Hi Fed66, thanks for your reply also. I'm sorry you've been through the same mess. You're right that the encrypted software cannot be identified by my PC. Would it not work if I internalise a brand new SD Card and then copy the old data back onto the new SD card as it is???

Does anyone have any thoughts on that possibly working?
    02-17-18 08:14 AM
    Hi Fed66, thanks for your reply also. I'm sorry you've been through the same mess. You're right that the encrypted software cannot be identified by my PC. Would it not work if I internalise a brand new SD Card and then copy the old data back onto the new SD card as it is???

Does anyone have any thoughts on that possibly working?
    Hi, ppssaini. I am not Sure what you mean, with copy the Content as is. What i did, was after days of trying everything i can think of, to buy a new Sd card, formated it to external Memory and restored all i could from Google Drive, Superbackup and for Music, ITunes. So now it is saver i hope.
    02-17-18 12:57 PM
    If an SD set up as internal has any issues, or if the phone 'forgets' the encryption key, (updates do this sometimes, almost guaranteed if you update without card installed) then you are just screwed. Your only option is to insert into PC and erase then reformat. Even this requires a command line input, you cannot simply click and select.
    FBI, CIA or NSA might be able to recover the data, good luck with that. Or maybe try the Russians.
    In theory, you could do a disk image, or otherwise copy. But that just gets you a 2nd set of unusable and unrecoverable data.
    02-18-18 07:03 AM