OK, don't ask where I got this info, but you'll just have to trust that it's valid.

Verizon has gotten so many orders and returns on the Storm that they currently cannot process orders for new Storms due to lack of inventory being pulled for replacements. It seems that so many people have called in with problems that all warehouses have had their normal inventory changed over to replacement inventory to try and keep customers happy. Basically, Storm fullfilment will be as follows.

1) Warranty Replacements
    2) New Contract Orders
    3) Renewal Orders

So, because a lot of people have wanted their phones replaced, that's shortchanged Verizon on having enough handsets to send out on normal orders. They orginally intended to fill those orders, but instead changed their warehouse policy to be as the above until inventory coming from RIM buffers everything back to normal, which isn't expected until mid January at the earliest.

This is good and bad. Good for people that want their replacement, but bad for people that are placing orders. Most importantly, items 2 and 3. They should fill both of those on a "first come first serve" order, but because they want new accounts, reps have been informed by corporate to fill new contracts first before renewals. Also, phone orders are being processed before online orders are as well.

I don't know about you, but this is not cool for Verizon to be pulling this with this new Blackberry. Seems they're going to be pissing off a lot of people with this phone.
    12-11-08 11:52 AM
    Wow that's brutal. This is really the first phone release I've followed so I can't compare it to anything else, but it really seems like Verizon and/or RIM really dropped the ball on this release.

And consequently, they're losing money.
    12-11-08 11:55 AM
    Not really surprising. Its not necessarily Verizon "pulling" anything either. The phone is in high demand and they have problems. Not surprisingly there is inventory issues.

Shocking. I know.
    12-11-08 11:59 AM
    I'm really sorry to see so many going for their 3rd and fourth replacements. I think most of the issues will be fixed with software upgrades once they free up some time..
    12-11-08 11:59 AM
    Makes sense... Also Seems VZ has changed the date on the website as well..

"Due to high demand orders placed now will ship by 12/17"
    12-11-08 12:00 PM
    On top of that, another bad thing is they are locking everyone into the order because they are processing payment for the item before they have it in inventory. Because of this, their order systems are unable to cancel the order once processed this way. Normally, you would be able to cancel your order as long as it didn't ship. Not so with these orders.

I really don't know what's gotten into Verizon with this phone. This is not like them. They usually have plenty of stock and don't hose people of their money.

I'd hate to say it, but it's almost as if they are using your money to buy their inventory from RIM, lol. (Obviously this is not happening, but it sure looks like that. HA!)
    12-11-08 12:00 PM
    I still don't see the big deal about going to the VZW stores to pre order, order, whatever a Storm when you have Best Buy's around the country with them in stock. Just go to Best Buy to get your Storm. Better service, cheaper, and better offers IMO. And not just saying this because I work at one.
    12-11-08 12:02 PM
    If memory serves they had a similar problem at verizon with the voyager

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 12:04 PM
    I still don't see the big deal about going to the VZW stores to pre order, order, whatever a Storm when you have Best Buy's around the country with them in stock. Just go to Best Buy to get your Storm. Better service, cheaper, and better offers IMO. And not just saying this because I work at one.
    I'm surprised you work at one and don't know this then.

BestBuy does not honor VIP or NE2 discounts. THAT'S WHY PEOPLE DON'T BUY IT FROM YOU!!!!!!!!

I wish people would get that, I keep saying it over and over.
    12-11-08 12:05 PM
    interesting info JR,
    I heard almost the same things from my Rep........

freaking weird how things are going...

BestBuy does not honor VIP or NE2 discounts. THAT'S WHY PEOPLE DON'T BUY IT FROM YOU!!!!!!!!

Burn!
    I just hope the answer for Verizon/Rim ISN'T to go to China for manufacturing.
    Last edited by GpCaptMandrake; 12-11-08 at 12:17 PM.
    12-11-08 12:06 PM
    I figured they were going to do that since people were getting replacements so quickly. But it kind of makes sense that they send out replacements asap to keep vzw storm owners happy, so they don't spread the word about the issues with the storm. Bad news does travel fast. But I know people who fall under category 2 & 3 and received their's within a week & half.

I'm not saying it's right though...
    12-11-08 12:08 PM
    my 3rd replacement still has problems...

im tempted to call in to get my fourth but im worried it will be worse than the one i currently have. I hope they acutally improve the product instead of just sending out new units made with the same flaws.
    12-11-08 12:11 PM

If "VIP" and/or "NE2" will help you get your order quicker. I'm both and placed my order on the 5th. No word yet, but it is supposed to ship the 15th.
    Although, it sounds as if "new" customers get better service than existing aside from the fact that I'm paying just $50 for my phone.
    12-11-08 12:14 PM
    If "VIP" and/or "NE2" will help you get your order quicker. I'm both and placed my order on the 5th. No word yet, but it is supposed to ship the 15th.
    Although, it sounds as if "new" customers get better service than existing aside from the fact that I'm paying just $50 for my phone.
    Yep, I guess it boils down to if you want to pay more for the phone or spend a few more days waiting on it.
    12-11-08 12:18 PM
    So who takes the loss? Does RIM absorb the cost of replacing all these units or does VZW?
    12-11-08 12:20 PM
    So who takes the loss? Does RIM absorb the cost of replacing all these units or does VZW?
    i am pretty sure it is RIM which is too bad considering how much crap they have had to deal with. It is a manufacturing issue (ie screens not clicking) and their responsibility
    12-11-08 12:30 PM
    I think you are right if there is actually a problem with unit. But if people just think the phone should work better but there is no real HW issue would RIM still be liable?
    12-11-08 12:37 PM
    Ordered mine on the night of the 3rd. Was told it would ship out by the 15th. Called today to check the status because of the "new ship by the 17th date" listed on the web site. Both were shipped yesterday. Received a tracking # from the rep. They will be here tomorrow and are coming out of PA. In addition, my credit card was not charged until today. So whoever said they were charging people before they shipped either got screwed or confused. I was told I would not be billed until it shipped. Which according to my credit card statement via the web, is correct. Charge was not processed until yesterday-cleared today.

Now comes the waiting to see if the dammmmmn thing will work correctly.. LOL
    12-11-08 12:38 PM
    I may get flamed for saying this, but judging from what I've red on this site, my opinion is a lot of people are abusing the return policy. In one thread , someone fixed his screen with a the Torx method, but still wants a new one (so he can send it back) to spite verizon. When the screen functions but there is one small spot that works but "feels a little different", then the replacement comes, is the same and now there is the "which one do i send back" dilemma, I's say you're getting close to abusing the policy.

Also i see a lot of CB newbs changing the OS because it's .01 higher, not because they are having any problems. Then not being able to resolve installation errors they created, and are demanding a replacement.

Sure there are a lot of phones that warrant replacement, and yes, they need to be taken care of first, but i feel a lot would be fine if the owners loosened a screw or waited for "official" OS upgrades.

It's just a phone. One that was released too early, and will improve..be patient
    12-11-08 12:39 PM

True story, but this is also something that each store has discretion over. My store, for example, honors NE2. So, potentially you could come in to a Mobile store, get a Storm for 100.00 instantly if you are eligible to upgrade with a 100.00 NE2. Not to mention a free Plantronics 360.
    12-11-08 12:40 PM
    Brutal how renewing contracts are last priority and thats definately wrong but then Verizon is a business trying to add new clients and make more money so they will please them new people first.
    12-11-08 12:42 PM
    My boss ordered his online Monday night and got a "is being processed" email today. Seems I remember that means in a few days he'll get a tracking number. We'll see how our orders go and I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW - had a chance to play with a Pearl last night. Not a bad little phone. The screen is a bit small for me but all in all, I liked it. So, if my Storm should turn into just a sprinkle I will stay with BB of some kind - they are just too cool!
    12-11-08 12:43 PM
    I may get flamed for saying this, but judging from what I've red on this site, my opinion is a lot of people are abusing the return policy. In one thread , someone fixed his screen with a the Torx method, but still wants a new one (so he can send it back) to spite verizon. When the screen functions but there is one small spot that works but "feels a little different", then the replacement comes, is the same and now there is the "which one do i send back" dilemma, I's say you're getting close to abusing the policy.

Also i see a lot of CB newbs changing the OS because it's .01 higher, not because they are having any problems. Then not being able to resolve installation errors they created, and are demanding a replacement.

Sure there are a lot of phones that warrant replacement, and yes, they need to be taken care of first, but i feel a lot would be fine if the owners loosened a screw or waited for "official" OS upgrades.

It's just a phone. One that was released too early, and will improve..be patient

I could not have said it any better!
    12-11-08 12:45 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD