Came from the iPhone 3G to the storm. Took me a while to get used to the typing but wow... Its actually fantastic!! I can type pretty dang fast now with no errors. One of the tricks was to loosen the screws to make the screen more responsive. Since then... wow.

Love this phone!! Only going to get better with more software updates also
    12-11-08 07:57 AM
    I second that. Once the screws in the back were loosened, I am flying.
    12-11-08 08:05 AM
    bad! i cant get the concept of keeping my right hand on the keys to the right of the keyboard and my left to the left side of the keyboard! portrait mode its pretty easy though.
    12-11-08 08:09 AM
    I know what you mean. My typing is virtually error free. Now its interesting that you loosened the screen, every complaint I've heard was that it was too loose. I find I still over type what it will process...hopefully this will be memory with the next update. I do wish you could customize the kb layout...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 08:12 AM
    Typing's great. Way better than the Omnia I had, way better than my iPod Touch, and although the hardware keyboard on my Touch Dual was great, there was no Qwerty keyboard (only on screen).

The click is a huge hit here and helps me knock out e-mails and texts quickly and with ease.
    12-11-08 08:12 AM
    after playing with custom dictionary everything is so much smoother...
    12-11-08 08:14 AM
    yeah typing isnt too bad for me anymore.
    12-11-08 08:17 AM
    I'm good now. I just had to teach my fingers how to press the right keys (using only the tips of my thumbs) and i'm getting faster each day
    12-11-08 08:19 AM
    I'm still getting the hang of it. I do much better using suretype than I do on the qwerty layout. My thumbs are too big I think, haha. I'm almost always one letter off. Not sure if the software is making it inaccurate or if's it's me. I can't see the blue hightlight most of the time in qwerty mode.

But I still love it. I'm sure I'll get better as time goes on. I don't do a whole lot of texting, so maybe I just haven't had a lot of practice.
    12-11-08 08:31 AM
    I am typing fine. I think the phone works awesome. The first time I lookoed at it in the store, I thought it would be impossible, but patience pays off. I love the phone and it works great.
    12-11-08 08:33 AM
    Same here, love the phone. I feel like i'm pretty much as fast as i'm gonna get. I type in portrait mode with multi tap enabled.
    12-11-08 08:40 AM
    I seem to type faster using suretype jsut because the buttons are bigger. However, yesterday (after I yelled at someone and insisted you couldn't do this...) we (well he) figured out that if you like to use multi-tap you can make it so that it types in T9 format (autocompletes the word).
    12-11-08 08:43 AM
    Coming from a Pearl, I can use the suretype just as well. Full QWERTY is a completely different story.... I suck, LOL.
    12-11-08 08:58 AM
    Into my 1rst week with my Storm and doing very well. A little frustrating the first 2 or 3 days but as soon as I learned how Suretype worked and that I could keep typing even though the word ST selected wasn't it made it much faster. 3x as fast as using WORD or T9. So overall very happy with the Storm.
    12-11-08 09:10 AM
    Agreed with most of the crowd here, I think progression and time is the key....

I remember first being embarrassed, not even being able to figure out clicking "OK" for the very first time on the phone, as the cute cs girl at the verizon store helped me set up my VMM.

My typing skills were deplorable at first, but with adherence to some of the tips gained on the forums along w plenty of practice with that unlimited texting plan, I too have noticed my ability to pound out a quick text or respond to an email in under 20 seconds.... the true bb lifestyle am I right?

haha one thing though, for college students and true multitaskers, there is truly no replacement for having physical keys to feel, leaving no need to look at the phone for half-seconds at a time. I have lost my ability to text/dial without looking. Have you guys?

Furthermore, I, like most other college students, just lovelovelove to text in class. Since the arrival of the Storm though, I am definitely getting caught texting/making akward eye contact as my profs turn around.... and I distractedly look up MUCH more often from when I could simply "feel" my way around my old berry's keyboard... maintaining my look of innocence to the prof. as I make plans for after class.

The storm has since killed me in that aspect and now has me doing extra credit!

One more thing... try texting in a library. The darned click is so loud, more people will clear their throats at you than if you were having a full on phone conversation! Not cool!!! Any fixes out there?

So Hey, RIM! Time to Include some of us lazy-yet-resourceful, social networking, class-crashing college students to test out your next batch of phones. After all, we are a large customer base of the BB market!

For those of you that like to text and drive... well.. I wont even go there.

I hope there will be more threads like this months from now as our brains subconsciously map out the contours of our new favorite phone ever! Dont get me wrong by the criticizms in this post... I believe, with some development and the release of third party apps... that this phone will truly "Take the world by storm"....
    12-11-08 09:31 AM
    I'm definitely okay. Not as fast I could on my Pearl or Curve, but I can definitely type fast enough to keep me happy. I do wish I could just type slightly faster, but the screen won't pop "up" in time for me to press the next key. I haven't tried to use any of the screen click fixes yet though.
    12-11-08 09:33 AM
    Not really any more or less mistakes than I made on the smaller KB of my 8703e.
    12-11-08 09:43 AM
    Typing is going well for me. I am absolutely flying in SureType and getting faster and faster in landscape!
    12-11-08 09:44 AM
    Suretype is for me, I am kind of slow on the QWERTY, but I haven't really tried much with it...
    12-11-08 09:51 AM
    I am doing pretty good with it, I like the full keyboard then the suretype.

When in portrait mode, I usually enable multi tap as I am used to that from working with a plain phone.

However as someone has said before, arrow keys would be nice on the keyboard. When I make a mistake and realize it later, I have some trouble getting the cursor to the correct place.
    12-11-08 10:02 AM
    I wish I was doing as well as some of you guys. Yes, the custom dictionary HAS helped, but I make SO many mistakes, it can take 2 mins just to get the cursor back to the words to correct them in a simple 2 line text message. Typing is starting to feel like a chore, which is not good on a messenging powerhouse like the BB. I was thinking this morning that I may go back to the BOLD. I want to stick it out with the Storm though

BTW, I've had it since launch day.
    12-11-08 10:05 AM
    I love typing now ! I came from a Samsung r410 and type faster with SureType than with qwerty that was on that phone!
    Good job rim!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 10:10 AM

For those of you that like to text and drive... well.. I wont even go there.
    yep this is true and might make me get a niagara when it comes
    12-11-08 10:11 AM
    haha one thing though, for college students and true multitaskers, there is truly no replacement for having physical keys to feel, leaving no need to look at the phone for half-seconds at a time. I have lost my ability to text/dial without looking. Have you guys?

Furthermore, I, like most other college students, just lovelovelove to text in class. Since the arrival of the Storm though, I am definitely getting caught texting/making akward eye contact as my profs turn around.... and I distractedly look up MUCH more often from when I could simply "feel" my way around my old berry's keyboard... maintaining my look of innocence to the prof. as I make plans for after class.

Haha... as a college student myself I had to laugh at this. I have no problem texting in class (sitting in the back helps a lot). HOWEVER... try texting when you're driving! Nearly impossible, unless you type at turtle speed. This is a good thing though... Just don't do it. Word is texting causes more accidents than drunk driving!
    12-11-08 10:12 AM
    For quick stuff I use SureType and do great but when I need to do a long response I'm using QWERTY and I'm still slow with it. I have also had to get in the habit of not looking at what is actually being typed. I found that I type faster when I don't watch whats being entered because I'm waiting for it to catch up. I figured that if it wasn't on the screen that it wasn't catching it. Now I just watch the letters to make sure I'm hitting the right ones and I go much faster.
    12-11-08 10:13 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD