I don't think this is possible but here is what I am looking to do...
    I have two different phones on two different plans from Verizon. One is a family share plan with a regular phone and the other is my BlackBerry from a plan that I have through my work. The plan I have through my work is unlimited data but 0 included minutes for talk (40 cents a minute or something). That plan is paid for by my employer.
    What I would like to do is to use my BB as a "phone" and have the minutes I use come from my personal family share plan.

Is that possible? Has anyone tried that?

Thanks
    12-13-07 09:56 AM
    It is possible. The problem may be in getting verizon to allow you. If you look at your settings you'll see NAM 1&2 possibly even more than that. I have done it on tmobile before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-07 10:18 AM
    The Qualcomm radio on the 8830 does not have a programming tab for NAM2. It only has 1 NAM location.
    12-13-07 07:56 PM
    it will only work if you can get them on a family share plan that uses "aggregate" minutes... being a work phone they probably wont let you (work that is...) unless YOU pay for it..

-db

good luck though. I have two phones on my own little "family" share plan (one is my pearl) and I simply forward one to the other as necessary,..

the trick though is not to forward them to each other and get a busy signal for both...no voicemail or anything it just cancels out (or so I've been TOLD. its not like I ever DID that or anything...)
    12-13-07 08:47 PM
    If I forward my phone to ring on my BlackBerry then the minutes I use will be charged to the BlackBerry's plan, right?
    That won't work for me. I don't have any minutes on the plan that my BB is on so every mnute will get charged to my company and they won't like that.

I guess i could call Verizon and ask if they can do it for me some how but I might be out of luck.

Thanks for the replies.
    12-14-07 07:55 AM
    Yes you can have 2 numbers on 1 cellphone using a service call Proxycomm.

It works with your existing phone service... at&t, verizon, t-mobile. Check out the information further at their website.

Features includes:

- have 2 or more numbers on your existing cell phone or landline, each with its own voicemail. get 1-800 numbers or numbers with any area code you want, regardless of where you live.
    - get new features like call screening and call recording, have calls ring on multiple phones at once, advanced voicemail.
    - unlimited national calling, wholesale international rates, no new contracts, no special equipment, and no credit checks required.
    - use your existing cell phones and service, your landlines - even your computer for this service.
    - Transfer a live call from one phone to another.

I currently have the service, it is really great. I decided to become a distributor with this Proxycomm because there is great demand for the service and I feel the service has a great future.

People have been coming up with great creative ways of using this service and maximizing this service everyday. Some examples are:

- include Proxycomm as 1 of your 'Favorite 5" (t-mobile), 'Friends & Family' (Verizon). By doing this you extend your fave-5 and your F&F service through Proxycomm to endless numbers.
    - in the near future Proxycomm services will expand into other countries, you can get a local number in any country you call often so friends and family can call you on YOUR local number in any country of your choice.

As time progress.... there are new services, new countries being added to the service... this technology has endless possibilities. If you get the service and come up with new ways of utilizing the service be sure to let us know...!
    If you need any further info, please feel free to contact me, I am aawhyte1 on the goproxycomm website.
    02-28-09 07:23 PM
    this technology has endless possibilities.
    Yes it does have endless possibilities...

• Loss of privacy
    • Identity theft
    • TOS violations
    • Loss of service
    • Theft of service
    • Hacking

Need I continue?
    02-28-09 11:11 PM
    to have 2 #s on a phone you have to have a device that has dual NAM capability.

IF you have a device like this you may have 2 #s. BUT you cannot have more than ONE # active at one time.

You MUST force the phone between each #.

There are only a couple phones that have this ability. NO current phones have it.
    03-01-09 07:14 AM
    IF you call VZW and ask for two numbers, even if the phone can do it. They will not do it.
    03-01-09 07:58 AM
    That's not true. We don't mind if you use Dual NAM. You have to pay for two lines though. We will walk you through how to program the dual nam phone.
    03-01-09 06:51 PM
    SO can we have DUAL NAM in curve 8330 ?
    06-30-09 03:22 AM
    i think it will depend on the rep you get if they will set up the dual nam. i will set it up but only after i know the customer is fully aware of what they can and can not do. most ppl that ask decide not to do it once they find they can only have 1 active line. Also with dual nam you may not get the greatest service because you cant ever update your towers.
    06-30-09 04:17 AM
    i think it will depend on the rep you get if they will set up the dual nam. i will set it up but only after i know the customer is fully aware of what they can and can not do. most ppl that ask decide not to do it once they find they can only have 1 active line. Also with dual nam you may not get the greatest service because you cant ever update your towers.
    So it is possible manually I set my 8330 to have dual NAM ?
    06-30-09 05:59 AM
    Exactly - it isn't like a two-line phone. You can only place & receive calls on the NAM that is active at the time. You have to manually switch between the two numbers. Yet you pay for two full lines of service.

I don't believe the 8330 is Dual/Multi-NAM capable.

06-30-09 08:31 AM
    For anyone interested, out of curiosity I searched to find any currently available phones which are dual-NAM capable.
    I only found one, although there may be others.
    It is not a BB, and it is not CDMA.
    Amazon.com: HTC Touch Dual P5520 Unlocked Slider Smartphone with Windows Mobile 6.0, 2 MP Camera, International 3G, MP3/Video Player, MicroSD Slot--International Version with No Warranty: Cell Phones & Service
    06-30-09 09:32 AM
    Well, I checked - OS 4.5 is the culprit. No Dual/Multi NAM capabilities in the software. It is an obsolete feature.

The feature has been quietly vanishing from phone software on all carriers for some time now. Some older OS versions have it - specific builds within some OS versions may or may not have it.

Keep your smartphone & pick up a basic, small dumbphone for a second line. For carrying a small extra device, you get a lot more functionality, not to mention a backup device.

For me, I use hunting - several lines that can reach me wherever.

06-30-09 12:19 PM
    Exactly - it isn't like a two-line phone. You can only place & receive calls on the NAM that is active at the time. You have to manually switch between the two numbers. Yet you pay for two full lines of service.

I don't believe the 8330 is Dual/Multi-NAM capable.

I am using motorola V3c, I have two NAM in it and YES only one could active, so I have to switch it manually and both work like a charm.
    So that I am asking whether 8330 also have DUAL NAM and where is the setting, if I find it then positively I can put two numbers in it
    07-02-09 06:22 AM
    So that I am asking whether 8330 also have DUAL NAM and where is the setting, if I find it then positively I can put two numbers in it
    Well, I checked - OS 4.5 is the culprit. No Dual/Multi NAM capabilities in the software. It is an obsolete feature.
    Question already answered, being confirmed by RIM.

07-02-09 08:33 AM
    try googleVoice... sound like it does the same thing. I juse my gV as my fave 5 with Vzw.
    07-02-09 09:46 AM
    Never mind the caveats with GV. Is it even open to public signups yet?

There are many things missing from BBs. Multi-nam is just one of them. So forget it, it isn't happening.
    07-02-09 10:56 AM
    your best bet is to ask your employer if they will simply pay for the data plan on your phone and dump the other one all together..

However this will cause issues with using your personal number as a business number...

but that may just be the only safe/true method thats reliable..
    07-02-09 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD