Yesterday my Storm's screen started to flicker. It flickered for about 5 minutes and then just stopped. This was the first time that this happened since I bought the device on December 21. Should I replace the phone while I can under the 30-day guarantee? I just don't want to end up with a refurbished unit later on if the screen starts to flicker again.
    12-09-08 02:04 PM
    did you upgrade the software yet?

if you have and the problem persists, talk with a verizon tech.... do it before your 30 days is up.

the lower part of my screen stopped, "clicking," and i called vzw cs and they are sending me a new phone on friday. they'll charge me $160.00 until they receive my old phone.
    12-09-08 02:10 PM
    Yes, I upgraded to the official .75 OS. Can lighting conditions cause the screen to flicker such as office lighting? I just don't like exchanging phones because sometimes it is just trading one issue for another. Quality control at RIM has to improve, especially since this device retails for more than 500 hundred dollars.
    Last edited by Keynote; 12-09-08 at 02:15 PM.
    12-09-08 02:12 PM
    i don't think so. i'm in my office all day, and my phone has never flickered. call vzw cs right now so they have a record of you calling in. talk with a tech support representative and explain your situation. they'll probably going to have you do a battery pull...

hurry up and call... good luck.
    12-09-08 02:15 PM
    Mine did the same thing yesterday, I held my finger over the light sensor for about 2 minutes and it quit doing it.. I was in the car and the sun was in between clouds.
    12-09-08 02:16 PM
    *they're...
    12-09-08 02:16 PM
    Mine did the same thing yesterday, I held my finger over the light sensor for about 2 minutes and it quit doing it.. I was in the car and the sun was in between clouds.
    has it done it since then?
    12-09-08 02:17 PM
    mine has done this periodically in really bright light since I got it, its not the autodimming feature, I turned it off, fearing a software flaw. I'm running .75 now, and it's still done it a couple of times when I have been in the car and the sun has been out. Good to know that I'm not the only one, I'm considering taking it in to the store that I bought it from sometime this week.
    12-09-08 02:21 PM
    Yep, same here. Did it with .66 with almost direct sunlight the day I bought it. Since then, I am now at .76 and have changed the "Backlight Brightness" down to 40 and it hasn't happened again. On another note, I did find out that the backlight brightness only works at lower light levels as the screen will always go to maximum brightness in very bright, ambient lighting conditions.
    12-09-08 02:35 PM
    mine has done this periodically in really bright light since I got it, its not the autodimming feature, I turned it off, fearing a software flaw. I'm running .75 now, and it's still done it a couple of times when I have been in the car and the sun has been out. Good to know that I'm not the only one, I'm considering taking it in to the store that I bought it from sometime this week.
    I think that it is a software flaw rather than a hardware issue, software mismanaging the hardware. If it is the software, many people should be experiencing similar problems.
    12-09-08 02:36 PM
    mine has done this a couple times too, it was actually just doing it about ten minutes ago. I figured it was because my battery is low, and kind of ignored it.
    12-09-08 02:40 PM
    maybe...its the LIGHTNING feature of the STORM! hardy har har. but yeah, try makign sure its charged all the way and your updated i suppose
    12-09-08 02:44 PM
    My battery was half charged when the screen flickered. So I am not sure it had anything to do with the battery.
    12-09-08 02:47 PM
    I have had this happen a few times as well, but not recently. I don't think it's happened since I updated to .75 leak, set brightness to 80, and autodim on.
    12-09-08 02:50 PM
    Is anyone going to exchange their phone because of this issue?
    12-09-08 02:53 PM
    Is anyone going to exchange their phone because of this issue?
    I had to put some paper behind my battery to fix my screen, so I am likely going to return it just prior to my 30days being up. I want to make sure the newest revision has come out so I don't have to do it again.
    12-09-08 02:55 PM
    A little late to this party but I just joined crackberry.

I just today, December 29th, brought in my storm to a verizon storm and explained my screen was flickering from time to time. I wasn't sure if it was a software or hardware issue. They exchanged it for me. Good thing too, there were a couple other "quirks" with my phone that this new phone doesn't have. I have yet to see any screen flicker.
    12-29-08 05:30 PM
    Just got my Storm last night and i love it so far. I was toying around with playing some music last night (dark room) and the bottom pause/stop/play buttons flickered on and off several times. If i guessed the corrrect spot and clicked they would function. Powered down, went to sleep and no issues this morning. I really don't want to swap phones and set everything up again but I guess I have a few weeks to keep an eye on things.
    01-08-09 07:44 AM
    I had a similar problem with my curve back in the day.....seemed like a hardware issue to me bc it happened everytime i used the phone for an extended period of time, thus allowing it to get a little warm. Once it got warm, it flickered away. VZW replaced it no prob
    01-08-09 08:59 AM
    When I play music the play bar at the bottom is missing. When I hold my finger over where it is SUPPOSED to be it flickers. Weird but surely software issue. Not worried. Hoping .85 clears some of these things up. Currently on .75.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 09:33 AM
    Just got my Storm last night and i love it so far. I was toying around with playing some music last night (dark room) and the bottom pause/stop/play buttons flickered on and off several times. If i guessed the corrrect spot and clicked they would function. Powered down, went to sleep and no issues this morning. I really don't want to swap phones and set everything up again but I guess I have a few weeks to keep an eye on things.
    That's exactly what happened with mine.

01-08-09 09:35 AM
    I get the same thing sometimes with the camera. Usually a battery pull does the trick. I assume that it is a software issue

01-08-09 10:16 AM
    I had the screen flicker every few days, mostly in brighter light.... didn't think much of it... after reading here I felt it was an issue... got a new one today and I'm glad I did... no more light visible out the sides of the screen, my hard buttons are more recessed (thus will not be pulled off by a pocket getting caught) and screen doesn't wiggle as much.
    01-16-09 08:43 PM
    I noticed the flickering for the first time waiting for a flight in Paris. It was the first time I'd used my Storm overseas and was wondering if it was coincidental.

It's otherwise working just fine . . . wish I could tether on 3G though.
    01-17-09 09:58 AM
    My storm also does this in all lighting conditions, but so does my Macbook so I just let it go and try not to pay attention to either.
    01-17-09 10:26 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD