i called att and requested a unlock code and i got the reply

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY AS THIS IS NOT A MONITORED MAILBOX

Your Device unlock code request for the RIM Blackberry 9000 BOLD device was received and has been rejected. The device was purchased at a discounted price and the contract has not been met. The new AT&T does not unlock handsets for the purpose of international travel, however if you are an AT&T subscriber and your service qualifies for the International Roaming feature, an exception may be granted. Please contact customer service at 1-800-331-0500 for assistance in adding the feature and to have Subsidy Unlock Code re-requested.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience this may have caused.

IMEI #: Blackberry 9000 BOLD
    Customer Contacted at:

The new at&t Subsidy unlock code team
    12-08-08 11:56 PM
    Yeah, you'll probably have to pay a hefty fee but they will do it for you...
    12-09-08 12:08 AM
    I don't have the link off hand, but search for the "free unlock" for blackberry, and it seems to have worked for everyone who has tried it. Not very involved either.

The files can also be found on torrent sites all zipped up and ready to go. As long as you have windows, you should be able to unlock it yourself.

Mario
    12-09-08 12:09 AM
    how long have you had att? you have to have them for like 6 months before they will do it
    worked like a charm for me by the way
    12-09-08 01:04 AM
    There is a link on the forums about how to unlock for free.

Also, do the chat support or call them. I did the chat support only a week after having my phone and they guy gave me the unlock code.

Tell them that you might be traveling overseas and would like to use prepaid sim cards.
    12-09-08 07:49 AM
    How about 'will be working overseas for my customer who will supply a local SIM for the duration of my visit' ?

You could even tell them you are going somewhere like Azerbaijan where AT&T doesn't have a roaming agreement. See GSM Coverage Maps | United States | AT&T Mobility | Roaming Partners for the list
    12-09-08 10:22 AM
    I was reading this post earlier today and just for the heck of it, I decided to follow VoltaicShock's advice and speak to a rep via chat. I have no plans on traveling until March, but I told the rep I would be traveling to Europe at the beginnning of the year and would like to use prepaid sim cards while I was away. A little history about myself...I transfered from Sprint to AT&T in November so I have only been a customer for a month...I have yet to pay my first bill...it's due Christmas Eve. The online rep was very happy to help me and she provided me with the unlock code without any sort of hassle. I followed her instructions for unlocking the phone. I then took my friends sim card out of her phone...she has T-Mobile and guess what, my phone was unlocked. I was on the T-Mobile network and phone calls to her number rang on my Bold. So I would definitely try the online chat method and see if you have the same luck as me. Good luck!
    12-09-08 02:45 PM
    what are the advantages of having a unlocked phone if you are in a 2 year contract? sorry for being dumb i just don't understand
    tia
    12-09-08 03:24 PM
    what are the advantages of having a unlocked phone if you are in a 2 year contract? sorry for being dumb i just don't understand
    tia
    For most users there is no advantage. You would only need a phone which is not locked to supplier's SIM if you want to use it with a different network provider. The common reason for this would be business travellers who are overseas for several weeks in one country and may use a locally sourced SIM to avoid extortionate roaming charges. (Often this will be pre-pay so they can only get voice calls, not Blackberry data)
    12-09-08 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD