Hi all....
    I'm a BB newbie. The storm is my first BB phone and I'm sooo addicted it's not even funny.
    I have tried to follow all the tips on the forum here to improve battery life but I still only get about 20 hrs despite not using the phone much at all. I'd say I spend 15 min max on phone calls. Probably an hour total on the web. No game playing. And about 40-50 txts a day.
    I changed phone setting from global to 1xev. I got rid of vz navigator and visual voice mail. And I'm running the .75 version which DID speed it up alot and fix some of my lag.

I had a question or two for the bb pro's out there.
    1. How is the best way to determine what all is running in background?
    2. Is there a quick way to shut down all programs that are not core programs?
    3. Do you have any other recommendations on how to help battery life improve?
    And one other unrelated question while I'm here...
    Is there a way to completely hide a folder? When I hide them they just gray out but are still visible. Does that stop in time? Like for instance if I have a folder with my kids christmas list in it and I don't want them to be able to see it. (yeah i could lock the phone, but aside from that...is there something else?)

TIA for any advice given!
    J.
    12-08-08 10:49 AM
    Sounds like you are getting good battery life to me......Whats so hard about putting it on the charger every night??????????????
    12-08-08 11:15 AM
    You can hold down the menu button to see what running, and when you hide a floder be sure show all isnt checked in order to remove the gray ones.
    12-08-08 11:22 AM
    Why do people complain about charging the phone at night....get a life....
    12-08-08 11:25 AM
    make sure all of your GPS settings are turned to the 911 setting, and disable the assistance. My battery life is sick. Ive been using my phone since around 8am this morning, and it still reads 100% .
    12-08-08 11:39 AM
    make sure all of your GPS settings are turned to the 911 setting, and disable the assistance. My battery life is sick. Ive been using my phone since around 8am this morning, and it still reads 100% .
    Disable location aiding? will this affect battery life? what effect will this have on the devices operation?
    12-08-08 11:46 AM
    Oddly, after I installed the .75 update my battery seemed worse. I charged it all night, then in the morning watched a few videos on youtube (about 5 mins) and sent a few sms. Around 11:00 AM it was at 10% and no calls were made.

I'm not sure if the screen was staying lit in my pocket? Eventhough I have the screed locked, it still lights up when the screen clicks in.

Anyway, I did a battery pull and charged again and now it's awesome. I didn't charge it last night at all, and actually checked Fantasy football scores all day and as of now it's at 70%.
    12-08-08 11:56 AM
    Disable location aiding? will this affect battery life? what effect will this have on the devices operation?
    Its a process that is running in the background. Why have it enabled unless you are using GPS? iPhone had this problem also... would KILL the battery.
    12-08-08 11:57 AM
    My battery will last me throughout the entire day, and that is with A LOT of texting, and what not, I make a good amount of calls too, I just charge it nightly, and I am good to go the next day.
    12-08-08 12:09 PM
    Ok..I had a similar question and somebody told me that is the battery...If you have the 1380 a/h (which is the one that does not last) go to your retailer and ask them to give you the 1400 a/h battery (btw it is advertised with it so they should give it to you for free) the 1400a/h is the one with the awesome battery life..my friend has that battery and after heavy talking( like 3 hours) and two days standby..it still had more than a quarter left...
    12-08-08 02:15 PM
    Sounds like you are getting good battery life to me......Whats so hard about putting it on the charger every night??????????????

This is addressed to both you and E3M5
    --Who said anything about it being hard to put on a charger??????? Is this a help forum or not? I asked a simple question about battery life and how to determine what apps are running which you and another esteemed colleague (e3m5) decided to be all snippy about. Do you really think that it helps a forum's reputation to be a **** to people asking questions??
    NO it is NOT difficult to put it on the charger every night. I do it every night and have had no adverse reactions, no sprained ligaments or tendons in my hand from plugging it in...nothing at all. In fact the only adverse reaction I've had at all was making the mistake of using the forum for what it was intended and instead getting a bunch of smart mouth replies from you people who have nothing better to do than flame newbies asking questions.
    I was merely asking for tips which I thought this forum was for. But thanks very much for making me feel not only angered but very hesitant to ever ask a question again.
    Congrats to you and e3m5 for running a newbie out of the forum thanks to your unfriendly nature.
    That being said, I was only asking about battery life for anyone who gives a flip, because I came from a lil "phone" phone that only had to be charged every fourth day despite talking often and txting constantly and I'm not accustomed to having to charge nightly. So I was merely asking, since I have used it so infrequently so far and STILL had to charge nightly, if it was going to be such a batt hog because I work far from my home and I wanted to know if I need to purchase a car charger and carry the one from my bedside for my job.
    Thanks to the people who actually answered my question. I appreciate your willingness to help a newb instead of just flame them.
    12-09-08 03:26 AM
    This is addressed to both you and E3M5
    --Who said anything about it being hard to put on a charger??????? Is this a help forum or not? I asked a simple question about battery life and how to determine what apps are running which you and another esteemed colleague (e3m5) decided to be all snippy about. Do you really think that it helps a forum's reputation to be a **** to people asking questions??
    NO it is NOT difficult to put it on the charger every night. I do it every night and have had no adverse reactions, no sprained ligaments or tendons in my hand from plugging it in...nothing at all. In fact the only adverse reaction I've had at all was making the mistake of using the forum for what it was intended and instead getting a bunch of smart mouth replies from you people who have nothing better to do than flame newbies asking questions.
    I was merely asking for tips which I thought this forum was for. But thanks very much for making me feel not only angered but very hesitant to ever ask a question again.
    Congrats to you and e3m5 for running a newbie out of the forum thanks to your unfriendly nature.
    That being said, I was only asking about battery life for anyone who gives a flip, because I came from a lil "phone" phone that only had to be charged every fourth day despite talking often and txting constantly and I'm not accustomed to having to charge nightly. So I was merely asking, since I have used it so infrequently so far and STILL had to charge nightly, if it was going to be such a batt hog because I work far from my home and I wanted to know if I need to purchase a car charger and carry the one from my bedside for my job.
    Thanks to the people who actually answered my question. I appreciate your willingness to help a newb instead of just flame them.

well said ^^ maybe this will help people being a little bit to jumpy to people asking questions..

the problem is that these people joined a support forum helped support for a while and now believe this is a chat room instead of a support forum =) and some of them recently joined and think that they rule the roost ahaha. There is a ton of people on this board that stay in a good community type setting while others make everyone look bad.

anyway to answer your question.

Coming from a regular everyday phone the biggest thing you will notice first and for most is that the dang battery life is a quarter of what those things get. However you get like 100 billion times more functions. So its kind of a good trade off. Typically speaking if you get a full day out of a battery on a smartphone your sitting pretty good.

you can try disabling the gps radio and such to e911. I didn't really notice a difference in doing this. With everyday use of surfing the internet texting and sending emails.. I grab a nice 12-13 hours of battery life so I charge every night. This is farely normal of a smartphone. Down the road there will probably be a couple extended battery options which may help you out if your interested in spending a little cash on a bigger battery.

The best way to see whats running on the device is by holding the BB button in for about 3-4 seconds. This brings up the app switcher. There is a few apps that will never close down and will always stay running. After a fresh battery pull/reboot you can see what applications have started on your phone and compare them as you go along to see what apps you leave open most commonly.

Its good practice that when switching out of a app that your not going to use that you hit the menu key and hit close or exit.

This can help.

Hope this helps
    12-09-08 04:19 AM

2. Is there a quick way to shut down all programs that are not core programs?

THAT!!!!!!^^^^^ I'll be first to admit I dont normally exit my apps. and when I notice my storm laggy I open the running application list, and I have to individually exit the programs kind of time consuming. would be great if we could just say exit all (except mandatory apps that have to run)

extended battery the seidio name is highly recommended on this forum:
    they say about 15% better battery life
    Seidioonline - Your Leading Manufacturer of Smartphone Accessories

also I believe they are working on a (for the lack of words) super extended battery, it will most likely add bulk to device.
    12-09-08 04:59 AM
    I would say that it would be nice to just have a task manager... on top of what we already have because I love the app switcher and all that. but a simple task manager would be nice

I will never disagree with that.
    12-09-08 05:08 AM
    Oddly, after I installed the .75 update my battery seemed worse. I charged it all night, then in the morning watched a few videos on youtube (about 5 mins) and sent a few sms. Around 11:00 AM it was at 10% and no calls were made.

I'm not sure if the screen was staying lit in my pocket? Eventhough I have the screed locked, it still lights up when the screen clicks in.

Anyway, I did a battery pull and charged again and now it's awesome. I didn't charge it last night at all, and actually checked Fantasy football scores all day and as of now it's at 70%.
    Actually because it must have the static from your skin it wont light up in your pocket, your pocket has enough material to resist the charge. I have done some sort of a test of this to be sure.
    12-09-08 06:10 AM
    oh and something else you can try is to turn the backlight down. (somewhere between 10 and 50) It is quite unnoticeable once it is done. This works very well for me. I get home after a full day of use and am only missing one bar of power!
    12-09-08 06:15 AM

YouTube is a HUGE battery drainer if you don't EXIT the program after you're done. I get good battery life out of my phone, and it took me a day to figure out why all of a sudden I had to charge my phone 3 times during the day. YouTube... ugh... Don't know what it's doing in the background, but it sucks the battery dry... I've got a thread about it on here somewhere..
    12-09-08 07:48 AM
    I was using youtube tonight for a while at work and even after several attempts to exit it was still running. I just did a battery pull and hope that will help. Like a ghost in the machine.
    I think I will just stay the heck away from youtube.
    12-10-08 05:38 AM
    I have been tinkering with the new toy a lot so end up with 2 bars at end of day. I now charge in the car. Never had to with the 8830we.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 06:31 AM
    1 other helpful hint use the auto on and off. Mine is set to shut off at 11pm and back on at 7am, 8am on weekends.
    Great feature to save the battery if you forget to hook up to the charger
    12-10-08 06:33 AM
    two days in a row mine was pretty bad (low battery after 14 hrs), but yesterday it was fine (30% after 15 hours). I changed GPS settings by disabling location aiding. I previously set services to 911 only.
    12-10-08 07:00 AM
    Actually because it must have the static from your skin it wont light up in your pocket, your pocket has enough material to resist the charge. I have done some sort of a test of this to be sure.
    Good call. I just assumed that everytime I felt the screen click in my pocket that it was turning on but I just tested by pressing against the outside of my pants and the screen does not light up. Good thing!
    12-10-08 07:25 AM
    A couple of items to add-
    it seems that there might be two different OEM batteries being used by blackberry from what i have seen - there could be a difference. It seems to me to be a pretty small sized battery for such a large phone. lets see if some more powerful batteries come out.

Overall the battery does not cut my daily usage when i am traveling and going in and out of meetings. that is why i carry a spare battery with me to fill in when i cant charge.

applications runnig in the background probably cause some drain but i dont think its the biggie especially when they are mostly idle.

The big items are: Transmitter (cellular radio), Bluetooth, GPS , screen and also items that require constant data transfer (radio active)- such as ESPN summary page set to update every 30 seconds .
    12-10-08 08:32 AM
    And one other unrelated question while I'm here...
    Is there a way to completely hide a folder? When I hide them they just gray out but are still visible. Does that stop in time? Like for instance if I have a folder with my kids christmas list in it and I don't want them to be able to see it. (yeah i could lock the phone, but aside from that...is there something else?)

TIA for any advice given!
    J.

Simple. While on your home screen, click the menu button, and de-select "Show All". It will hide all of your hidden icons.
    12-10-08 10:29 AM
    Anyone have an update on the effect of turning the GPS off as mentioned at the top of this post? I just made the change and I'm curious what kind of savings to expect.

Thanks.
    12-10-08 10:47 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD