Hi,

two months ago I bought an AT&T STV100-1. I updated to the then-latest using the autoloader. Now I'm stuck on the March 1st update and AT&T software update tells me that my software is up to date and I should check back in 24hrs.

I was very happy with the phone I had previously - I only bought the Priv because of the security updates (and the PKB). Now I'm really bothered to not get any updates. I tried:

• using VPN (not a commercial VPN, I have a sysadmin assignment in the US and I used the VPN there, all Geolocation tools told me I'm in Alabama)
    • bought an AT&T SIM card to see if it would change anything - nothing
    • tried the *#*#checkin#*#* method

None of this helped. That is really very frustrating. Any way to solve that?

Thanks,

Stefan
    05-22-17 01:53 AM
    What country are you in? I assume your Priv is locked to AT&T.
    05-22-17 04:18 AM
    There was a couple of updates offered several months ago regarding PRIVS have LTE connection problems. One update, makes the AT&T PRIVS basically factory unlocked because of losing carrier support for many updates.

I don't remember all the details. Perhaps someone that is more technically inclined can elaborate further...

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 04:27 AM
    Your geographic location has little to do with updates, the fact that it is an AT&T Priv has a lot of bearing. You didn't indicate where or how you got the Priv, if it was originally sold at retail by AT&T, you make be stuck with updates from AT&T, when and if AT&T decides to release them. And even this will require an active AT&T SIM in the phone.

Have you tried the the autoloader labeled 'rest of the world' or 'purchased from 'shop BB'? If that doesn't work, try an AT&T autoload from about a year ago, then the next 'rest of the world' autoload. If that works, you should be able to then use the latest.
    Or contact Blackberry, with details on how phone was purchased, including serial # and IMEI, hopefully they will add it to their update servers.
    And never purchase another US carrier branded device, they force BB to load special software that keeps you locked to them to updates even if the phone is carrier unlocked.
    Here's a link to the autoloader thread, it's massive, and will take a lot of searching, but everything you need to know should be here.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aders-1065667/

EDIT- the warning about special software in US carrier devices applies to all manufacturers, not just BB.
    05-22-17 05:09 AM
    Your geographic location has little to do with updates, the fact that it is an AT&T Priv has a lot of bearing. You didn't indicate where or how you got the Priv, if it was originally sold at retail by AT&T, you make be stuck with updates from AT&T, when and if AT&T decides to release them. And even this will require an active AT&T SIM in the phone.

Have you tried the the autoloader labeled 'rest of the world' or 'purchased from 'shop BB'? If that doesn't work, try an AT&T autoload from about a year ago, then the next 'rest of the world' autoload. If that works, you should be able to then use the latest.
    Or contact Blackberry, with details on how phone was purchased, including serial # and IMEI, hopefully they will add it to their update servers.
    And never purchase another US carrier branded device, they force BB to load special software that keeps you locked to them to updates even if the phone is carrier unlocked.
    Here's a link to the autoloader thread, it's massive, and will take a lot of searching, but everything you need to know should be here.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aders-1065667/

EDIT- the warning about special software in US carrier devices applies to all manufacturers, not just BB.
    The carrier locked issue becomes irrelevant once downloading from special links that BlackBerry sent out last year.

Posted via CB10
    mimmesmo likes this.
    05-22-17 05:55 AM
    Your geographic location has little to do with updates, the fact that it is an AT&T Priv has a lot of bearing.
    I've been using an unlocked AT&T Passport with AT&T SIM in europe for 2 years. I have not received any update by AT&T. I suspect the carrier networks they partner with do not allow device updates. Anyway, its BB10 and probably not pertinent to the subject.

I want to know what country the OP is in to offer the AT&T international help number if it works there. Regardless, here is the toll free number:

+1 (916) 843-4685

Been very helpful for me. Much more intelligent then the people I've talked to in the states.
    05-22-17 07:04 AM
    Well thanks for all your answers. Great community here!

So here are my answers: I bought this on eBay US, not knowing that it would be such an issue. I have bought the last keyboard slider phone (Samsung T699/Galaxy S Relay 4G) also through eBay US and did not have a problem - but that was also a T-Mobile device and the bootloader can be easily unlocked.

I myself am living in Germany.

Now just today I decided to google for this again and with the help of this post on xda I managed to at least update to the April update.

I downloaded the common and the AT&T autoloader files, replaced oem.img and system.img in the AT&T folder with the ones from the common folder, disabled the data wipe commands, and guess what, I have a "non-AT&T" system, the update checker no longer says AT&T update but shows the normal Android update screen. Whether or not this will actually work - I will see whenever I may or may not get the May update.

These special firmware links you mention - was this part of the beta program? Because that's what I remember from all the reading I did. Would be interesting to find those links.

Thanks,

Stefan
    FF22, Tim-ANC and mimmesmo like this.
    05-22-17 02:20 PM
    The carrier locked issue becomes irrelevant once downloading from special links that BlackBerry sent out last year.
    Apparently only if you get the correct download - and - the Priv wasn't purchased retail from AT&T. Although some of the Priv's purchased from AT&T retail are getting updates from BB, while some aren't. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Been very helpful for me. Much more intelligent then the people I've talked to in the states.
    It doesn't take a whole lot to make the Stateside BB techs look bad. There are some really good ones, but it's quite difficult to get to them.

These special firmware links you mention - was this part of the beta program? Because that's what I remember from all the reading I did. Would be interesting to find those links.
    Not part of the Beta, a whole bunch of AT&T branded phones started showing up on Ebay, Amazon, B&H Photo, and other places, even Walmart. They were sold as unlocked, and could be used on other carriers, but couldn't be updated without an active AT&T SIM. Sometime last year an update was released, I think most people got it OTA, that basically turned it into a factory unlocked phone. Then there was a major problem with the AT&T phones getting 'no signal' on the AT&T network. Part of 'the fix' involved a lot of phones that should technically have remained AT&T phones getting updated to factory. But not all of them.

I'm fairly confidant you will get updates from BB going forward.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    05-22-17 09:00 PM
    Apparently only if you get the correct download - and - the Priv wasn't purchased retail from AT&T. Although some of the Priv's purchased from AT&T retail are getting updates from BB, while some aren't. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

It doesn't take a whole lot to make the Stateside BB techs look bad. There are some really good ones, but it's quite difficult to get to them.

Not part of the Beta, a whole bunch of AT&T branded phones started showing up on Ebay, Amazon, B&H Photo, and other places, even Walmart. They were sold as unlocked, and could be used on other carriers, but couldn't be updated without an active AT&T SIM. Sometime last year an update was released, I think most people got it OTA, that basically turned it into a factory unlocked phone. Then there was a major problem with the AT&T phones getting 'no signal' on the AT&T network. Part of 'the fix' involved a lot of phones that should technically have remained AT&T phones getting updated to factory. But not all of them.

This is what I was trying hard to communicate. Thank you for clearly saying what I couldn't.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 09:08 PM
    ATT discontinued Priv so that is likely a dead end...
    05-22-17 11:27 PM

I appreciate your confidence And your help. Up until now I haven't but will keep trying.

I have found a way though to at least update using the autoloaders. I followed the instructions given here on XDA, so now I can combine the common and AT&T autoloaders, disable data wipe and update my system. I now have a fairly clean Android without any AT&T crapware. I keep hitting that check for updates button (still on April 1 udpate from the lastest autoloader).

Will keep you posted

Stefan
    05-29-17 01:42 AM
    I appreciate your confidence And your help. Up until now I haven't but will keep trying.

I have found a way though to at least update using the autoloaders. I followed the instructions given here on XDA, so now I can combine the common and AT&T autoloaders, disable data wipe and update my system. I now have a fairly clean Android without any AT&T crapware. I keep hitting that check for updates button (still on April 1 udpate from the lastest autoloader).

Will keep you posted

Stefan
    Sounds like you are making progress. I think others with same situation will find your posts helpful.
    05-30-17 02:18 AM
    I purchased an AT&T PRIV on Amazon and due to hardware issues BlackBerry reached it twice with AT&T branded unlocked models. Now that I had a working model, I was not getting updates without using the autoloader for AT&T's. I purchase a AT&T Go Sim activating it online. I used the Sim to boot to AT&T once only, replacing it with my Canadian Sim. To received OTA updates I use flight mode with WiFi on. I type the *#*#CHECKIN#*#* and then use the built in system update at least twice until it works. I probability did not need to do all of these steps but it worked for me.
    05-30-17 03:18 PM
    Still no luck for me. I chatted with BB support on Twitter and they referred me to the support site. The support site doesn't recognize my IMEI. I'll need to contact them by phone. I suppose I need to "free" my IMEI from AT&T.
    06-12-17 02:23 AM
    Progress!! I did actually get hold of BB phone support. At first they were reluctant to even accept my case, but after being persistent, and telling them that everything they would want me to do I *have* already done, they finally gave me a case number.

Talking with the actual tech support then was a real joy. They went through a couple of steps with me and THEN:

They added my IMEI number to their database!

So after a bit of "Google Services Framework" ForceStop-Clear-Data-Disable-Enable-Force Reboot of the device my holding the power button ...
    ... an update notification appeared!!

It did fail with a dead Android though, but I suspect that's because I have a modified version of the system with AT&T stuff removed. So I'm trying to revert back to the AT&T firmware and see if then I can still receive the update.
    07-04-17 01:23 PM
    There was a couple of updates offered several months ago regarding PRIVS have LTE connection problems. One update, makes the AT&T PRIVS basically factory unlocked because of losing carrier support for many updates.

I don't remember all the details. Perhaps someone that is more technically inclined can elaborate further...

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that is what I did on my ATT branded Priv. I have recently purchased a second Priv and I cannot remember the process I did to make the ATT Priv OS into a factory Priv OS. I did not do any autoloaders and remember receiving the update via OTA. I know I called blackberry support once because I was having these LTE problems and they told me a workaround was coming.
    07-04-17 01:31 PM
    My phone is now: AAL746 "June 2017 update (ROW)"

Yes. So really, adding the IMEI to BlackBerry's internal database will send an update (1.8GB) which will effectively convert the AT&T device into a ROW device.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at last :-D

Stefan
    07-05-17 11:47 AM