I just learned that facebook will no longer be supported o. BlackBerry smartphones. What's the point of having a dumb useless smartphone that doesn't have access to the most common sites??
    05-15-17 09:53 AM
    so upgrade to a phone that isnt 4.5 years old ....
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    05-15-17 09:59 AM
    I repeat, Facebook is no longer supported on any BlackBerry smartphones, not just older ones.
    05-15-17 10:10 AM
    I repeat, Facebook is no longer supported on any BlackBerry smartphones, not just older ones.
    That's incorrect.

BlackBerry Android devices are fully supported.

I might also add that the Facebook Lite Android app works very well on BB10.
    FrodBerry likes this.
    05-15-17 10:12 AM
    For me the native bb10 Facebook app works well.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876) LoveBB10Apps - LoveBB10
    05-15-17 11:04 AM
    It was never supported worth a damn, but still works.

What's your point?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    05-15-17 03:43 PM
    I just learned that facebook will no longer be supported o. BlackBerry smartphones. What's the point of having a dumb useless smartphone that doesn't have access to the most common sites??
    A few points:

1. Your assertion is inaccurate. The Facebook app, developed by BlackBerry, is deprecated on OS versions beyond 10.3.3. This includes the Messenger function. This due to Facebook - not BlackBerry - blocking access to new API's.

2. Facebook continues to be accessible through the browser. It's far from ideal, but it's incorrect to say a phone "doesn't have access to the most common sites." Words matter.

3. There are plenty of workarounds for those who are willing to go the effort. Most aren't, but those who are will many threads here about how to sideload and old version of the app that will still work with 10.3. There is a small host of apps in BlackBerry World, in addition to the many Android apps that work.

4. This was announced almost a year ago.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-15-17 04:24 PM
    Facebook lite works if you need Facebook. There are some good alternative app stores that have a list of older versions of apps that still work on BlackBerry 10. Including vibes and WhatsApp.
    05-17-17 08:46 PM
    05-17-17 11:20 PM
    If a web site is compliant to HTML5 standards, then it will still work. If you are building a web site that is not HTML compliant, then what's the point of building such a web site?

Chill out, not everyone "needs" Facebook. If you need it, go somewhere else.

What's the point in giving away my personal data so that some company can profit & manipulate me just so I can keep touch with my friends? How about pick up the phone & call? How about having dinner & <gasp>, actually having a conversation with someone IN REAL LIFE? There's still email, text & many other options for keeping in touch that rely on OPEN standards.
    News flash, your real friends really could care less to hear about when you're going to the washroom or the fact that you've had yet another cup from Starbucks for the 853th day in a row. So far all research seems to show the people who spend most time on social media are the least happy.

BTW, you might guess what phone I'm using today. And I'm still perfectly productive. Ironically, without what I'm working on right now, Facebook will have a hard time growing...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-19-17 12:51 AM
    That's really not the point of this thread. You can hate Facebook all you want, but that's not what OP is talking about.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-17 11:05 AM
    That's really not the point of this thread. You can hate Facebook all you want, but that's not what OP is talking about.

Posted via CB10
    Except the OP was incorrect.
    05-19-17 11:20 AM
    I just think this discussion is about the app/site itself, not the morality of using social media.

OP is wrong, that is true.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-17 01:04 PM
    I just think this discussion is about the app/site itself, not the morality of using social media.

OP is wrong, that is true.

Posted via CB10
    @EFats raises a valid point in relation to BlackBerry support.

"If a web site is compliant to HTML5 standards, then it will still work. If you are building a web site that is not HTML compliant, then what's the point of building such a web site?"

To serve the greatest number of people satisfactorily a standards compliant website with suitable usability changes for different media is a good solution. Apps can deliver advantages but the need to have a good website shouldn't be ignored. The BlackBerry 10 browser will be capable of rendering good websites for a long time to come.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-17 01:28 PM