12-11-07 02:31 PM
    Booya!!!!!
    12-11-07 03:54 PM
    Bout time!!!!!!!!
    12-11-07 10:06 PM
    Finally.
    I personally don't like Verizon just because everything is locked, that's I am not their customer for years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-07 10:34 PM
    Yeay! Early X-mas present.
    12-12-07 12:41 AM
    I think its great. Verizon will lose in a big way it seems. My hope is that the other carriers will take notice and re-evaluate there practices as well. I wonder if RIM itself could be dragged in to court next for collusion.

I've showed this to a couple of federal prosecutors I work with. They said on the surface RIM is in partnership with the different carriers. They are marketing there BB's indicating that they have certain features. They currently make no mention that they disable some features for select carriers. Since they are responsible for disabling the features on behalf of the carriers they are implicit in the deception to the public.

I think everyone should pay close attention to how this all turns out. Maybe we will all win in the end.
    12-12-07 03:40 AM
    I don't think RIM could be dragged into this. Unlike the iPhone, RIM isn't going to carriers and telling them what they should do, simply they just select carriers and provide/sell them phones and how the carrier wants to sell them is completely on the carrier and not RIM. the iPhone on the other hand, Steve Jobs actually lays out his demands to the carrier, if they accept they get, if not, well on to the next carrier. RIM isn't doing what Steve is doing for the iPhone
    12-12-07 06:48 AM
    I doubt they will unlock the GPS, they will probably settle the suit by giving VZN users a 3 month credit or something like that. The linked story even says Verizon has the right to lock the hardware. . . .
    12-12-07 08:57 AM
    Verizon has the right to do pretty well whatever they want. But I think the question here is whether the consumer was made aware that certain built in features of the phone we're disabled - prior to purchasing the phone.

Its the v710 Bluetooth issue all over again.
    12-12-07 11:54 AM
    Im happy to see this, Im on sprint and would be pissed if they disabled my GPS/blue tooth functionality for no good reason.
    12-12-07 12:22 PM
    Agree with Mx... i doubt we'll ever see a GPS-enabled 8830 from VZ. Perhaps users who subscibed to the VZ Navigator will get some type of credit, and then go right back to getting billed $9.99 a month.
    12-12-07 01:56 PM
    I don't know. Considering that VZ has announced that it has gone from being a closed provider to 'we'll let any device on our network' - I think we might be in for a surprise. Might force them to put their money where their mouth.

And what would be more cost effective for them? To simply release a firmware update to turn on GPS? Or to refund everyone the purchase price of the phone, allow everyone to purchase a new phone at discount (v710 lawsuit result), and all the bad press they are going to receive, and hope to still come out on top by charging 9.99 a month for gps?

I'm just waiting for all the Pearl owners to jump on board.
    12-12-07 05:11 PM
    They will NEVER agree to refunding the purchase price of the phone!!! That would be crazy!! thats what VZ has lawyers for. The open network thing has nothing to do with helping its subscribers, its ALL about the 700mhz auction next year. They have to look like an open network to be in the running, but that does not mean they will not continue to take their current customers for all we are willing to give them! Do not be fooled by a little Public relations stunt, its all smoke and mirrors with VZ right now because of the 700mhz auction and all the telco's for that matter.
    12-13-07 11:41 AM
    I don't care about getting money back, it's already spent. I just want my GPS enabled for FREE for LIFE. Otherwise, how can we get involved with this class action suit? I would like to know how, and if what, can get partake in this action, or will VZW personally notify all of it's 8830 users?
    12-13-07 12:17 PM
    I would like to know how, and if what, can get partake in this action, or will VZW personally notify all of it's 8830 users?
    HA! Now why would they do something like that?
    12-13-07 09:28 PM
    If VZW apparently notified users via mail about the software upgrade primarily for their terrible VZN, then why wouldn't they notify us all about their mistake (if the courts claim there to be one)? they have the obligation to do that, or they can kiss my arse till it tastes like sugar.
    12-13-07 10:29 PM
    They could just release an update and state what the update is fixing. That would be the most pratical solution if ya ask me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-07 10:30 PM
    The word that comes to mind is fat chance. To quote a big bully.. This is my house.. These are my house rules. If yo dont like it too bad. Honestly I would LOVE for this suit to go all the way through and the little guy/US to win. I am hoping that once my contract is up and im not dependant on VZW's evdo data anymore I'll go to a blackberry that has true world-phone capabilities. I mean cmon'! "World-phone" who are we kidding here... I keep swearing left and right.. If you dont like it get out. If you really want GPS on the blackberry go get a Bluetooth GPS puck... One time charge and you will sleep better at night.

People.. just do it!

Not wanting to overslam verizon but again.. it would be FABULOUS if the suit goes through and we win.. time will tell :/
    12-13-07 11:20 PM
    Well now I might turn my 8830 back on, wait and see.
    12-14-07 07:16 AM
    Even if they lose the suit VZW is probably not going to enable GPS on all the 8830's. This is a class action suit in California state court not federal and any action by the court will be restricted to its jurisdiction.
    12-14-07 10:07 AM
    I'm thrilled!!

I'm not with Verizon but my son is. Not only are they the most expensive service but they charge to unlock each feature on a piece of hardware YOU BOUGHT.

I hope it's very painful for them.
    12-14-07 10:16 AM
    Even if they lose the suit VZW is probably not going to enable GPS on all the 8830's. This is a class action suit in California state court not federal and any action by the court will be restricted to its jurisdiction.
    Read the filling - it states that plaintiffs in other jurisdictions will be included as well.
    12-14-07 11:45 AM
    When a court of reasonable competency in another state has a finding then it can be applicable in any other competent court in the country.
    12-14-07 01:10 PM
    I would love to see Verizon lose this one and make it right with us, however I suspect we will all get a voucher for $25 and move on. Lawyers seem to always make out best in these class action suits.
    12-15-07 01:49 AM
    Either way, it's costing Verizon money. They will eventually learn from that and bad publicity alone. Things like these don't go unnoticed by the FCC/FTC and when it comes to bidding on the 700MHz spectrum there will be some that won't view Verizon as a "true player".

My money is on Google winning the bid and walking all over everyone once the gPhone is out. At least in the geek market anyway. Let the stupid lambs that get spoonfed pay for free services, as long as I don't have to do it. Only reason I'm still with these carrier nazis is because I can make reliable calls.... that's it, nothing more. It sure isn't price and it sure isn't products/services.
    12-15-07 10:49 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD