Someone else was saying that the swipe shortcuts on nova only work from the homescreen? Not sure if all of them or just the swipe up? If so, then for me it renders it useless. The whole point of me wanting the swipe shortcuts is because they work from within any app...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    That someone else was full of bs. No shortcuts (long or short and by shortcuts I mean pressing a key on the vkb via short/long press work). When pressing any key on the Priv, be it short/long press you will get the google search app. What works is the swipe options, like swipe back to delete, up to bring the symbol menu, down to close it, double tap to enable the cursor move or text select. This works in all APPS.
    05-05-17 04:57 PM
    What nova offers is basically logic and simple, I really don't understand why there is a discussion related to this topic. You have multiple options on nova for gestures via 1 finger or 2. This gestures can be triggered while you are on the main scree/home page not while in an app.
    It seems to me that, some of you want jet reactors while we are still @ the coal engine.
    05-05-17 05:02 PM
    OP did you get an OS update in the last couple days? Several reviewers says the update that dropped fixed the memory management issues. Unfortunately many of the reviews had already been wrote up by then and it affected their KeyOne perception.
    No I haven't received any update. I was just listening to the podcast by PocketNow and heard of it. Not sure if it's the same update I received on Monday when I got the device or not.

I have a feeling their handset didn't even have that one.
    05-05-17 05:08 PM
    I love Nova and am bummed to hear that it won't support PKB shortcuts. I emailed the developer to see if they would consider making the change and told them that I would gladly pay! Maybe if we all email the dev, they might actually consider! One can dream...
    I did the same
    Hope they listen
    05-05-17 05:08 PM
    I wish Nova launcher adds BB shortcuts and other BB launches features.

BlackBerry KEYᵒⁿᵉ Workhorse.
    The Dev of Nova is very responsive and helpful, if you message him asking for this somewhere public like Twitter,reddit or if there are forums specifically for Nova i think he might add it faster than you think
    05-05-17 05:14 PM
    I wish Nova launcher adds BB shortcuts and other BB launches features.

BlackBerry KEYᵒⁿᵉ Workhorse.
    And then come to find out they violated some BlackBerry Launcher patents and get sued! LOL!!

but really though.. i'm sure if they did have some patents, they'd totally sue.. LOL!
    05-05-17 05:20 PM
    When I had my PRIV I gave a try to several launchers, Nova among them... and I kept going back to the BlackBerry launcher for one reason only: the kb shortcuts... to me, having the shortcuts was at the same level as using the kb for typing, as the main reasons to have the physical keys... hopefully the dev looks into that and is able to make it work, that would be a great addition for BlackBerry fans...
    05-05-17 05:55 PM
    The Dev of Nova is very responsive and helpful, if you message him asking for this somewhere public like Twitter,reddit or if there are forums specifically for Nova i think he might add it faster than you think
    Let's ALL Message and Post to the Dev!!! Everyone!!! Flood their mailbox and their internet!!
    05-05-17 06:21 PM
    No I haven't received any update. I was just listening to the podcast by PocketNow and heard of it. Not sure if it's the same update I received on Monday when I got the device or not.

I have a feeling their handset didn't even have that one.
    Yeah it didn't drop Monday, it was the the day before the reviews hit so that would be Wednesday. Hope it comes to the retail devices so you can try the BB launcher again although Nova is great too.

Edit: from the AC review, the buggy build was Android 7.1.1 Nougat on Build AAK831 with the April 5, 2017 security patch. It received an update to Build AAL093 which fixed the memory issues.
    05-05-17 06:33 PM
    Let's ALL Message and Post to the Dev!!! Everyone!!! Flood their mailbox and their internet!!
    I wrote them earlier today and this was their response :

"Hello,

Right now we don't have API access to those things which is why we can't support it."

Looks like it's up to BlackBerry to make the APIs available to make it happen. Seems unlikely that they would do that. Guess we should flood their in box now!
    05-05-17 07:18 PM
    Nuisance? That's not really a good manner of handling an Android device. Well, I've been wondering why people want smartphones with 6 GB. Now I know. People don't know how to use a phone properly, so they want more RAM to make up for it.

Come on, my tablet has 2 GB RAM and has been used for 4 years every day. It's still very fast. Why? If I'm done with an app, I shut it down, not open a few others. And the home button is not meant to shut apps down. I can do 2-3 app multitasking, with standard apps like Messanger, Facebook, Flashscore, Aqua Mail working in background to notify me, and rarely get any issues on such an old device. I'm sure I won't have any issues on the KEYone.
    I'd prefer to not have to close anything if it could be helped.

If hardware is capable of keeping everything going, why bother closing it?
    05-05-17 07:42 PM
    And that works from within other apps as well? If so, definitely going to give it a try once I have the phone...
    There's an app (maybe the same one mentioned above) that I downloaded a long time ago when I got my Priv. It worked like the productivity tab for BlackBerry except you could place them anywhere (all sides, corners). Between that and Nova, I was able to get my Priv very close to BB10. After a few weeks though, I got so used to using Android that I just ended up getting rid of the app with the swipes and just stuck to Nova and the 3 swipe option from the bottom of the screen. Unfortunately, the K1 won't have the swipe function for any three actions, so I'll miss that. Otherwise though, not missing BB10 much after using Priv for 1.5 years now.
    05-05-17 07:56 PM

"Hello,

Right now we don't have API access to those things which is why we can't support it."

Looks like it's up to BlackBerry to make the APIs available to make it happen. Seems unlikely that they would do that. Guess we should flood their in box now!
    I was actually thinking the same. BlackBerry may not have exposed it fully. The short and long presses.
    mbirth likes this.
    05-05-17 08:03 PM
    Let's see who steps up first: action launcher 3/Nova launcher with keyboard shortcuts or BlackBerry with their Swipe gestures. It seems like it would be much easier for BlackBerry.
    05-05-17 08:56 PM
    The swipe shortcuts work on Nova from within any app. This includes the productivity tab. The Nova swipes only work on the home screen. For example, swiping down may be programmed to do a specific task like bringing down the notification shade but you don't want that within a game or even the hub because it would **** you off. I have swipe up set to bring up the app tray, if that happened in Chrome I would disable it immediately.
    You need to explain that better, lol. You just said swipe works within any app and then followed that by swipe only work on the home screen. I'm super confused, hahaha. Sorry :-P

05-06-17 01:17 AM
    You need to explain that better, lol. You just said swipe works within any app and then followed that by swipe only work on the home screen. I'm super confused, hahaha. Sorry :-P

Ok, I'll try. The swipe shortcuts (by which I mean the one from the back, home and recent keys at the bottom of the screen) work in any app. As does the productivity tab. (I'm most apps. ). The NOVA swipe gestures (by which I mean those that are endemic to the nova launcher and not the Ui) will only work on the home screen. This is a good thing because you don't want nova gestures buggering up other apps when you are trying to use them.
    05-06-17 02:06 AM

"Hello,

I'm not quite sure what APIs are they talking about... They could use simple Key events, that would actually work with any keyboard...
    e.g.:
    Code:
    public boolean onKeyDown(int keyCode, KeyEvent event) {
            TextView textView = (TextView) findViewById(R.id.textView);
            switch (keyCode) {
                case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_D:
                    textView.setText("d pressed");
                    return true;
                case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_F:
                    textView.setText("f pressed");
                    return true;
                default:
                    return super.onKeyDown(keyCode, event);
            }
        }
    Just tried running this on my Priv and, of course, it works. Obviously, this just changes a textView field, but it could be replaced with intents that launch apps and that's it, you've got keyboard shortcuts.

edit: Btw, if anyone's wondering, BB Launcher's shortcuts work with regular Bluetooth keyboards as well, not just with the built-in keyboard. I guess it would be safe to assume they aren't using a much more complicated approach to this either.
    Last edited by Mirko935; 05-06-17 at 09:56 AM.
    1122334455667788 and mbirth like this.
    05-06-17 09:42 AM
    I've switched back to BlackBerry Launcher but have disabled BlackBerry Hub, to see if there's anything else that was hogging the memory.

Huge improvement in performance. Looks like it's the Hub effecting the multitasking.
    05-10-17 04:48 PM
    Ok, I'll try. The swipe shortcuts (by which I mean the one from the back, home and recent keys at the bottom of the screen) work in any app. As does the productivity tab. (I'm most apps. ). The NOVA swipe gestures (by which I mean those that are endemic to the nova launcher and not the Ui) will only work on the home screen. This is a good thing because you don't want nova gestures buggering up other apps when you are trying to use them.
    Oh ok, yes, now I understand, thanks man. :-)
    05-10-17 07:44 PM
    My biggest gripe against the KeyOne is the multitasking lag and apps redraw over the period of time of using the device
    That is normal for Android. If you watch this video comparing the KEYone to the S8 you'll see that the the KEYone is refreshing apps less often than the S8.
    05-10-17 08:45 PM
    That is normal for Android. If you watch this video comparing the KEYone to the S8 you'll see that the the KEYone is refreshing apps less often than the S8.
    Yes and that showed me that without BlackBerry Hub, the phone is a beast. See my post above.

The guy wasn't using Hub. I disabled it and the multitasking is good.
    05-10-17 08:46 PM

"Hello,

https://www.google.com/amp/devblog.b...rd-part-1/amp/

This for priv though maybe not too different
    05-10-17 09:21 PM
    I used Nova with my PRIV and I currently use it on my DTEK60. I hated how I couldn't use the shortcuts on my PRIV it was very frustrating. Nova has so many features for productivity also, like swiping up on a certain app or folder for a specific action. This mixed with keyboard shortcuts would make shortcut possibilities virtually endless with the KEYone.
    05-10-17 09:24 PM
    I used Nova with my PRIV and I currently use it on my DTEK60. I hated how I couldn't use the shortcuts on my PRIV it was very frustrating. Nova has so many features for productivity also, like swiping up on a certain app or folder for a specific action. This mixed with keyboard shortcuts would make shortcut possibilities virtually endless with the KEYone.
    I actually am using Nova actions on BlackBerry Launcher now. N for notification tray. Works like a charm. 👍
    05-11-17 12:09 AM
    Does keyboard scrolling work in the main screen in Nova? Mine does not seem to work.
    05-11-17 01:39 AM
89 1234