So let's say I'm using Google maps or whatever application, does it make a difference if I hit the back button a couple times, hit the end call button once or hit the menu key and scroll down to "close" or "exit". Just wondering if any of those methods actually leaves the app running in the background versus truly closing it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-29-17 12:36 PM
    Oh, and this is assuming I really do want to close the app completely and not go back to the spot I was at when I switch back over.

04-29-17 12:38 PM
    Oh, and this is assuming I really do want to close the app completely and not go back to the spot I was at when I switch back over.

I don't willingly use anything G so can't help with that specifically but pressing "back" in BBMaps, for example, seems to kill it. Pressing "End" in most apps minimizes to background. Press and hold the BB (menu) button will pop up things running in the background.

Virtually all BBOS apps have a "close" or "exit" at the bottom of the menu. For BBMaps, I quick press BB button to pop up menu. Then swipe trackpad down to quick scroll to "close" and click trackpad to close. Alternatively, once the menu is visible, pressing the first letter of the menu command you want will move focus to each command starting with that letter. Just click on the one you want, when it's selected. In the case of BBMaps, pressing "C" once will highlight "close" since it's typically the next menu item starting with "C". Just click to positively close.

Pressing "C" again, tho, will highlight "copy location". Requiring another press of "C" to get back to "close". If all that makes sense. Much much easier to do than to describe.

Since some apps vary in the way they treat "back", I generally use the menu to "absolutely positively" shut down an app. At least until I've grown to trust a given app's response. Fwiw.
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-29-17 at 04:16 PM.
    04-29-17 04:04 PM
    Steve is right, some apps react or close differently.

For example the CB app, it completely closes just by hitting the back button a few times BUT for most apps I close them fully by holding the dotted Blackberry button, clicking the app again, then BB button again, scrolling down to "Close" and clicking that.

Sounds like a lot of work but it takes less than a second or 2 if you have done it enough.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    04-30-17 03:41 AM
    I have to admit that IMHO this (exiting and/or closing apps) is one of the things that BB OS7 doesn't do as efficiently as it could. For some apps it can be necessary to 'close' through several layers before an app actually shuts down. Ideally, there would always be a global Exit, which did just that, wherever you were in the menu system of a specific app.
    It would also be useful to have a Kill app option on the app switcher pane. Just occasionally, I want to kill a rouge app but then have to wait for Application Resource Manager to pick up on a stuck app, that or do a reset, battery pull etc.
    All that said, I still remain a loyal advocate of the 9900 and BB OS7, there just could have been a few improvements if we'd had a version beyond 7.1
    04-30-17 12:15 PM
    BBOS' Core apps behave pretty predictably. Third party apps can be a "wild west show" of "creative anarchy", tho. Opera Mini being a great example of stepping thru multiple layers to get it truly shut down. Lol.

On the flip side, tho, "end" key does, usually, minimize an app out of the way pretty quickly. Still occupying ram but unless you wind up needing the ram for something else, you'd never notice. My 99's are all set to auto reboot daily which shuts down anything left in ram from the previous day. Routine battery swaps do that also. Most of the time, Opera Mini, etc, just lives loaded without issues. But, long press BB key or battery swap will permit reliably clearing it all out.

BB10 Classic does a better job of shutting things down, to a point. Multiple presses of "back" ultimately shuts things down. Sometimes prematurely, before truly tracking back all the way, tho. BBOS "back" will mostly trace completely back even thru previous browser tabs. BB10 shuts it down before tracing to previous tab. Loosing what ever was going on in those tabs.

I really like how BBOS coordinates switching back and forth between Messages and Contacts, for example. Using BB key to switch results in side by side icons in subsequent switches. Very nice for copy/paste between apps. Imo.

Also, one must understand how "end" key works during a call... "End" means END the call in BBOS. Regardless of where you've migrated to during a call. Somewhat disconcerting when you press "end" to minimize an app during a call and it disconnects the call!! Lol.

I personally prefer this professional grade privacy prioritized behavior of BBOS, tho, as it helps assure the caller isn't still listening. A privacy issue with other, consumer oriented, platforms that has not received adequate attention among the "privacy critical" professions, imo. Fwiw.
    04-30-17 01:47 PM

I really like how BBOS coordinates switching back and forth between Messages and Contacts, for example. Using BB key to switch results in side by side icons in subsequent switches. Very nice for copy/paste between apps..
    Completely agree. Multi tasking and app switching is highly effective and efficient on BB OS7
    04-30-17 04:14 PM
    ...I personally prefer this professional grade privacy prioritized behavior of BBOS, tho, as it helps assure the caller isn't still listening. A privacy issue with other, consumer oriented, platforms that has not received adequate attention among the "privacy critical" professions, imo. Fwiw.
    That's what I despise about Blandroid. Security and privacy are two different things, and all the "secure root of trust" nonsense doesn't change the fact that the OS is designed by a company whose business model hinges on pilfering information from your phone.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    05-02-17 08:51 AM