I need to know pretty much what are the most important things I need to do once get it out of the box? Was really trying to wait on the KEYone but was forced to use my insurance and replace my beloved Q10 with an unlocked PRIV STV1001. For $100 I really could not pass it up, but really need some direction with what I need to do to make sure a bunch of junk I don't want doesn't start loading up when I plug in and turn on. What's the best way to get all of the BB updates (battery saver, marshmellow updates, etc...) without getting "junk" to start loading? Need my "hub" so van get my emails etc running. Been without a phone for 4 days now, never realized how much I used it till its gone! And that Q10 was my favorite phone, bought 1st day they went on sale and thing ran like a tank until last Tuesday! Appreciate anyones help with this....
    04-14-17 07:19 PM
    For extra $100, great deal. You can buy Keyone and I'll take your priv for $125
    04-14-17 07:36 PM
    When you turn it on for the first time it will load marshmallow, so you won't have to worry about that. Most/all of the BlackBerry apps will be preloaded and installed. You will need to set up a google account if you haven't already. It's fine if you don't use gmail, just disable the gmail app. Get your accounts set up in the hub and set up your notifications. From there it is happy surfing on the play store and you can customize as you see fit (launchers, icon packs, etc).

Normally I would recommend to do all this and then play with it over wifi for a couple days as you get settled with the device and then put in your sim and go. But you don't have that luxury.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-14-17 07:48 PM
    I need to know pretty much what are the most important things I need to do once get it out of the box? Was really trying to wait on the KEYone but was forced to use my insurance and replace my beloved Q10 with an unlocked PRIV STV1001. For $100 I really could not pass it up, but really need some direction with what I need to do to make sure a bunch of junk I don't want doesn't start loading up when I plug in and turn on. What's the best way to get all of the BB updates (battery saver, marshmellow updates, etc...) without getting "junk" to start loading? Need my "hub" so van get my emails etc running. Been without a phone for 4 days now, never realized how much I used it till its gone! And that Q10 was my favorite phone, bought 1st day they went on sale and thing ran like a tank until last Tuesday! Appreciate anyones help with this....
    I was going to suggest Content Transfer but if your Q10 is defunct you won't be able to use it.

If you had a Gmail or Google ID, when you set up the Priv, it will grab your account and email info and things like Contacts and Calendar.

The Priv really does not have a File Manager or actually a music player or video player. It has a Google photo app.

So you will want those apps from the Google Play store. I and others use Asus File manager. There are tons of music and video players. Some like Rocket or Black Player for music. Piktures for photos.

It will take some adjustment. The Hub is pretty similar (although there are some who would not agree).

Check out the Stickie threads for some ideas.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    04-14-17 07:58 PM
    If you want a nice File Manager and Music Player in the subdued style of BB10, the file manager and music player from cyanogenmod both fit the bill.

File Manager: https://f-droid.org/repo/com.cyanoge...r.ics_1015.apk

Apollo Music Player: https://f-droid.org/repo/com.andrew.apollo_2.apk

You might also be interested in installing the F-Droid open source app store: https://f-droid.org/FDroid.apk

If you're going Android, you might as well get the benefits of open source.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-14-17 08:14 PM
    I'm having a similar problem. My beloved Classic passed away and I've been sent a Priv. But I can't get my backup file from my Classic onto my Priv. I need my passwords more than anything, but my missing contacts sure would be helpful too.
    04-15-17 12:21 AM
    I'm having a similar problem. My beloved Classic passed away and I've been sent a Priv. But I can't get my backup file from my Classic onto my Priv. I need my passwords more than anything, but my missing contacts sure would be helpful too.
    I've replied to you in your QandA thread re trying an autoloader, and provided the links.
    04-15-17 01:35 AM
    Post back as you need help or have questions 😀
    04-15-17 01:36 AM
    Thanks, I use Slacker now and love it!
    04-15-17 09:28 AM
    After the OS is updated and etc, don't load any apps for a day. Then be very careful with what you do load. I'd load 1 app, run it for at least a day, if it does OK, then load another, and run it for a day, etc, etc. Plenty of Android apps should have a 'cr' in front of app. If apps come highly recommended by multiple people here, they are prob OK to load a few at a time.
    Do Not load any antivirus or battery saver apps, some people here will tell you they are great, do your own research before believing them.

Go into settings > location > 3 dot menu, (upper right corner) > scanning > turn OFF bluetooth and wifi scanning.
    -This will help with battery and prevent some tracking, it won't affect your use of BT or wifi.

Go into settings > Data usage > scroll through all your apps, anything that doesn't need to connect to the cellular network and send/receive data while closed and not being used, tap on it. Then turn 'restrict app background data' ON.
    - This will help with battery and data usage, prevent a lot of tracking, and keep the app from using system resources while closed and not in use. It will not effect the use of the app when YOU choose to use it, but will keep it from doing a lot of stuff behind your back.

A lot of people will tell you that adaptive brightness will use a lot of battery, I believe that may have been true at one time. Turn Adapt bright OFF, set the screen to what you want in your most common lighting scenario, then turn it back ON.
    04-15-17 10:22 AM
    Good reminder to backup your password keeper to an sd card every once in a while. Do you have any old Link backup files that you might be able to dig through to see if there is a PK backup file in there?

As for contacts, get rid of all local contacts if you are on bb10 and getting ready to switch. Having all contacts on an internet email source will greatly help you. I moved all mine to my msn account. Then when I moved to priv they all came in when I added my msn account and selected to sync contacts.
    04-15-17 11:24 AM
    That is probably a problem that is not very often or effectively addressed. Backups of data from one OS cannot generally be used to help restore that data in some fashion to a device with another OS. Content Transfer is intended to help between a WORKING device (not a broken or lost/stolen device) and a new Priv.

I guess one oddball suggestion is to find a very cheap used BB10 device and try restoring to that and then use Content Transfer.

Good luck.
    Wezard likes this.
    04-15-17 03:03 PM
    HELP! My Q10 just passed away and have new PRIV on the way! - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    I have tons of backup files, just cannot open them since my BB Bold 9900 and my BB Classic are not working. The Priv is the only working phone.

HELP! My Q10 just passed away and have new PRIV on the way! - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Thanks, the next step is def to find a phone.
    04-16-17 07:39 AM
    I have tons of backup files, just cannot open them since my BB Bold 9900 and my BB Classic are not working. The Priv is the only working phone.

Thanks, the next step is def to find a phone.
    Just yesterday someone posted that Q10 were going for about 30 Euros. Might be worth the investment to move stuff over (if it works).
    04-16-17 06:05 PM