Long story short. Have "used" many vkb phones. Never liked any, including my z10. I'm really considering the dtek60. How do you guys like this vkp compared to the PP, which I love?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    03-25-17 06:39 PM
    Myself I like the Dtek60 but miss my Passport for it's keyboard and track pad combo. I would recommend to wait for Key-One and try it out first before deciding.
    anon(7915689) likes this.
    03-25-17 06:54 PM
    I didn't go directly from the Passport to the DTEK60 (Priv in between), although even though I thought I'd use the Priv physical keyboard a lot I rarely did. Virtual keyboard reminded me of my old Z30.
    anon(7915689) likes this.
    03-26-17 01:39 AM
    If you don't like vkb then the DTEK isn't for you. If it helps it's similar to the Z30. I switched from the SE and really like the DTEK . I had the z30 and z10 and no issues for me with the vkb. If you prefer PKB then wait for the KEYone.
    03-26-17 10:42 AM
    The BlackBerry keyboard is one of the best vkb there is. It's a fairly easy transition but all depends on if you like the vkb or not.
    Roadie29 likes this.
    03-26-17 10:44 AM
    I have the Passport and Classic and before them (and in between) used the Z10 and Z30.

Personally, I don't know that I can ever go back to using a virtual keyboard on my primary device ever again. And, it has nothing to do with how 'good' one is compared to the other. For me, it is almost entirely a psychological thing. I know that I can be much faster on a virtual keyboard. I also know that I can probably get to a point where my accuracy is almost equal. However, there is still big difference to me that you either understand already or else it probably cannot be explained and that is that there is a certain 'flow' to having a physical keyboard that simply cannot be replicated on anything else.

On a VKB, sure I can fly along on those keys and get some great speed. However, I have always found that it comes in bursts and I will fly super fast for a string of words or perhaps even a couple of sentences but then I will notice something off and have to go back and change it (usually a pesky autocorrect mishap) and it will just throw everything I had going in my stream of thought out the window. And in no way am I saying that I don't make errors on a hardware keyboard - because I do all of the time - but I can 'feel' them as I make them rather than have them appear as an unsettling surprise after the fact. The flow stays in tact. This satisfying feeling is something I don't think I can compromise on again.

Not to mention the aesthetic of the device with its hardware keyboard. That's the secondary fact. To me, the difference in design is that a 'slab' style device is more for consumption. This form factor favors viewing and consuming content whereas a hardware keyboard is more for writing and creating content. It's all in what you use your device as primarily. Either way, it's form meets function. Once you decide on the main desired function, it should be obvious which form factor you prefer.
    03-26-17 11:32 AM
    Myself I like the Dtek60 but miss my Passport for it's keyboard and track pad combo. I would recommend to wait for Key-One and try it out first before deciding.
    I'd go with this. Wait for the keyone.
    03-26-17 11:59 AM
    I didn't love the z10 keyboard at all. Never tried the z30 kb but heard it was way better

Posted via CB10 Passport
    03-26-17 01:54 PM
    I didn't love the z10 keyboard at all. Never tried the z30 kb but heard it was way better

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Probably because of the larger screen.
    03-26-17 02:00 PM

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Aside from being bigger, it was identical. On a touchscreen keyboard, a larger screen allows for larger "keys," which usually translates into improved accuracy. Also, probably the main reason for the trend shifting to larger sized devices over the last couple of years.
    03-26-17 02:01 PM
    Ah interesting. Likely the reason I didn't like the z10 was the keys were too small indeed. LOVE my pp keyboard I just don't know if I'm willing to wait several Mos for the keyone and pay a lot more than the dtek60. Wondering if a local verizon store will have the dtek60 to play with

Posted via CB10 Passport
    03-26-17 02:28 PM
    Ah interesting. Likely the reason I didn't like the z10 was the keys were too small indeed. LOVE my pp keyboard I just don't know if I'm willing to wait several Mos for the keyone and pay a lot more than the dtek60. Wondering if a local verizon store will have the dtek60 to play with

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Surely, you will find much to enjoy about the DTEK60. It will be fun, and new and exciting... but, I'm fairly convinced that, if the reason you love the Passport is for the keyboard, you will not find real love with the DTEK60. It will be a fling, perhaps maybe with some strong passion, but it will fizzle out eventually. It just doesn't have that special "je-ne-sais-quoi" that the Passport has.

I think you will find the KEYone more your style, even if she's a bit skinnier than what you're used to.
    03-26-17 05:03 PM
    I didn't go directly from the Passport to the DTEK60 (Priv in between), although even though I thought I'd use the Priv physical keyboard a lot I rarely did. Virtual keyboard reminded me of my old Z30.
    Same here, in every thing you say I agree .
    03-27-17 01:08 PM
    I'm typing on my passport se and I have a dtek60 I use regularly. Still prefer typing on my Passport SE by far. But I get by on my DTEK60. It is a lot like my Z30 with a couple of minor differences in how it handles things (BB10 vs Android). I couldn't go full time with only that phone but since I share data and minutes etc, I get the apps and benefit of the 16:9 screen for video content. And I can type fast, but more errors, and maybe flick words too. I am looking towards the KEYone though too.

PP Silver Ed. and DTEK60 soon to add a KEYone!
    03-27-17 06:31 PM
    Ugg. Guessing maybe I should just hold on for the keyone it seems. No stores around here have the dtek60 for me to play with to test drive it

Posted via CB10 Passport
    03-27-17 08:43 PM
    I have had the Torch 2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, the PRIV, and the Dtek60, so I can compare:

I still love OS10, and I miss the virtual BlackBerry keyboard on both the Z30 and the PKB on the Passport. Multilingual typing with BlackBerry OS10 was unbeatable. The BlackBerry Android VKB, although very good, is not as excellent as the BlackBerry OS10 VKB or PKB, however. I don't so much miss the PKB, but I do miss the original OS10 BlackBerry keyboard.

That being said, I love the DTEK60, since it retains many BlackBerry features (like the HUB, keyboard, and security), but adds great front 21MP and rear 8MP cameras as well as access to all those great Android apps!

The DTEK60 is lighter and slimmer than the PRIV or Passport, and has a great solid metal and glass quality build.

The DTEK60 is also much faster, has the largest display, and the BlackBerry productivity tab that has been recently vastly improved with the last update.

The Dtek60 battery lasts a long time and the rapid recharger brings the device to full charge often in 30 to 60 minutes.

Also: The price is right!
    85_305 likes this.
    03-31-17 03:33 PM
    It appears the DTEK60 is the spiritual successor to the Z30, which I own and whose VKB I've loved, mainly because of its ability to let you flick up keys to get words. I'm now using a Passport SE, whose PKB I'm still getting used to. I think the OP would fly using a DTEK60 VKB. That said, I'm holding out for a KEYone.

Posted via CB10 | SQW100-4 Passport on T-Mobile. Hi Ho Silver Edition!
    04-01-17 12:29 AM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the DTEK60 doesn't work on CDMA /verizon.
    04-01-17 12:47 AM
    Long story short. Have "used" many vkb phones. Never liked any, including my z10. I'm really considering the dtek60. How do you guys like this vkp compared to the PP, which I love?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Keyboard on the DTEK60 is very close to the Passport SE. I moved from the SE and have not looked back.
    04-01-17 06:13 PM
    Wow great input in here guys thank you! I really wish local phone stores carried them, alas none of the providers have them available to play with before purchase. Though I must note, BlackBerry does offer a 30 day money back guarantee which is awesome. I'm super nervous to jump into android but I have no choice in the matter :/

Posted via CB10 Passport
    04-01-17 10:45 PM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the DTEK60 doesn't work on CDMA /verizon.
    Correct. The two DTEK devices are GSM only.

Posted via CB10 | SQW100-4 Passport on T-Mobile. Hi Ho Silver Edition!
    04-02-17 04:15 PM