Hoping someone here can help me out! My mom has the DTEK50, which I assured her would be an awesome phone. Today as she was looking through her photos in Google photos on the device, they suddenly all disappeared. Took a look, sure enough the SD card was corrupted! She lost EVERYTHING!

I removed the SD card now, and went to the camera to take photos. However the small box in the bottom left hand corner where the previous photo appears, is a grey box! It is not saving photos to the device.

Seriously disappointed in BlackBerry.

Is anyone aware of a bug in the camera app since the recent update?! Is there a fix? The pictures are gone, but she'd like to be able to use the camera on her phone!
    03-19-17 09:51 PM
    Hoping someone here can help me out! My mom has the DTEK50, which I assured her would be an awesome phone. Today as she was looking through her photos in Google photos on the device, they suddenly all disappeared. Took a look, sure enough the SD card was corrupted! She lost EVERYTHING!

I removed the SD card now, and went to the camera to take photos. However the small box in the bottom left hand corner where the previous photo appears, is a grey box! It is not saving photos to the device.

Seriously disappointed in BlackBerry.

Is anyone aware of a bug in the camera app since the recent update?! Is there a fix? The pictures are gone, but she'd like to be able to use the camera on her phone!
    Any chance she had them backing up automatically to Google photos and can sync back?
    03-19-17 10:01 PM
    Unfortunately not. She doesn't want the photos in the cloud.

I had backed up the lot a while back, but she lost a lot of photos and video. You'd never expect your SD card to just become corrupted suddenly.

The camera app is not working either. It's not saving photos now that I removed the SD card.
    03-19-17 10:06 PM
    There are a few apps online that can sometimes be find deleted or lost photos off of SD cards and things. In remember using one a few years ago but you would have to Google it as I can't remember the actual name.
    03-19-17 10:23 PM
    When you open the camera app look in the settings and check if you have the media card option toggled to on ,if you have removed sd card you will need to switch it off.
    03-20-17 03:22 AM
    Don't format the SD card. It's typically the pointer file that is corrupted rather than the actual files. I've used a free program called Test Disk & PhotoRec and have recovered my files. As for the phone, you can try going to the Apps in settings and force stop, then go to storage and clear Data and the Cache.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    03-20-17 07:05 AM
    So now inserted another media card, it is taking photos and storing them now. But in the camera settings, the media card option is not on and cannot be toggled on!
    03-20-17 12:33 PM
    Try restarting the phone and see if it helps. If the card is inserted I can't think of any other reason why it won't toggle to store the photos on the card
    03-20-17 12:46 PM
    Have restarted it multiple times. I bought a different SD card. If that doesn't work, thinking factory reset is the next step? Really want to avoid that.
    03-20-17 04:40 PM
    So an update. I tried with a new SD card, and still the same issue of not being able to save to it. That toggle just won't work! The images started saving to the device itself now, so we gave up on the SD card thing. Just means less space to store pictures and video.
    03-21-17 08:36 AM
    She doesn't want the photos in the cloud
    I am beginning to suspect incorrect configuration of this DTEK50, based on the information that has been reported.

It might be that the SD card is not compatible with the DTEK50 for speed, and that the SD card may not have been mounted as an extension of the device memory.

Additionally, and perhaps most telling is the user's apprehension to use the amenities of cloud storage and interaction with a Google account.

It's not clear whether the user configured the DTEK50 with a Google account, and if a Google account was used, concerns about "the cloud" may have influenced some poor choices in settings in connection wit that Google account.

If I were to troubleshoot this issue, I would take a serious look at configurations and settings before considering hardware failure.
    Last edited by Ethynil; 03-21-17 at 11:10 AM. Reason: edit typo
    03-21-17 08:49 AM
    Actually i set up the device for her. It is linked to a google account, that doesn't mean its mandatory to sync to the cloud. Not everyone wants to do that, it's a personal choice.

Secondly, the SD was compatible with the device. It was mounted and formatted ON THE DEVICE. It was working FINE until the other day when a notification appeared "is an sd card inserted".

This IS either a hardware or software issue.
    03-21-17 09:12 AM
    Maybe you missed my comment. Try Force Stopping and clearing all data for the BlackBerry Camera app which effectively restarts the app from scratch. As for the SD card, run a recovery of the files. When you've safely copied your media, reformat it (as it was compatible and working before on the dtek) so it can be used again.
    Ethynil likes this.
    03-21-17 09:40 AM
    Did you have the device set up to use sd card as adoptable storage before it corrupted?
    03-21-17 06:08 PM
    Thanks BerrySpawn. I did try all this with no luck. Even tried some software on my PC to recover, but the data was all gone. I since bought another SD card, and formatted it in the phone, but still photos wouldn't save to it. It's like that feature was somehow disabled. It's impossible to enable that option in the camera settings menu.
    03-24-17 10:53 AM
    So you have installed BlackBerry ExFat app and formated with this, right?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ackberry.exfat
    03-29-17 11:50 PM
    Yep. The device just doesn't want to save to SD anymore. I gave up. Don't want to factory reset the phone, so just gonna save to the device now.
    03-30-17 04:22 PM
    Yeah can understand not wanting the troubles of an factory reset, but one more thing is not that time-consuming:

Try to deinstall/aka reset to factory state the camera app. Try to save pictures with this old version, if working try to update again to newest version.

On top have you looked into DTEK to check if you enabled all permissions for BlackBerry Camera?

And have you tried saving other files via filemanager onto the SD-Card?

And last one, have you tried a different free camera app that could save to SD (sadly have no name for you, anyone else)?

Sadly we have no more BlackBerry expert for camera here to give you more hints to test, as smcv left BlackBerry. And BB Virtual Expert testing tool has no option to test camera SD-Card saving.
    steph.iosso likes this.
    03-31-17 12:22 AM
    Had same issue on Dtek60 about same time. Card got corrupted and can't be read or written on device but I was able to use it on my desktop and recovered the pictures. Got a new card and working fine.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...upted-1103410/
    Here is that thread.
    Factory reset on Android is not a pain if you use a Google account so if it is up to it go for it or wait for a major update like Android N.
    Good luck.
    04-03-17 02:27 PM
    Thanks for the tips gizmo! I'll have to go through and try these. Will let you know how it goes.
    04-12-17 03:25 PM
    Try recuva a free recovery software. I have never tried with SD card but it might work with you.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=VtAUcgNZ

Posted from BlackBerry Passport.
    04-12-17 03:33 PM