Do you have Priv's on your BES or UEM?

So let's simplify. Forget my long rambling post below. If you have an android device on BES or UEM I have a single question:

Does your visual voicemail app show only phone numbers or does it show the names of the voice mails matched to your company contacts? That's my question.

Here are my questions for you:

1. When you receive an incoming phone call, Does the drop down notification display the name from your work contacts or just phone number?

2. When you look in the phone app history does it show the name from your work contacts or just phone numbe?

3. When you receive an incoming text message, does the drop down notification display the name from your work contacts or just phone number?

4. When you look in the messenger app do the conversations use the names from your work contacts or just phone number?

5. When you look in your visual voicemail app, do the voice mails use the names from your work contacts or just phone number?

The reason I ask. I'm on UEM 12.6 and I've checked the setting in the IT profile called "allow searching work contacts from personal apps". I believe this is allowing me to see contact info in these apps. However the VOICE MAIL app is not working. It just shows the phone number. The only way I can get it to work is to add a google contact with a matching phone number then the name appears. This tells me that this app is looking at the google contacts not the work contacts. That's not going to work since there is not way to synchronize work contacts to google contacts. Unless you know something I don't.

Very interested in how your Priv's are displaying this information and possibly hearing from someone who knows this issue and can give me some info on how to deal with it.

Sadly I opened a support incident with BB and their response is that personal side apps can NOT see any data from the work side so the apps won't show any name information. I am in the process of educating them about their own product. Script readers.

Thanks,

Roveer
    Last edited by Roveer; 03-01-17 at 04:43 PM.
    02-26-17 08:40 PM
    If you hover your mouse over that policy you'll see that unfortunately it only applies to devices running Android 7.0
    02-27-17 08:27 AM
    I have BES 12.5.1 and see that policy setting as well. I just got my hands on a google pixel device (7.1.1), but contacts still dont appear in the personal contacts app when running afw activation. I do see that caller id is working with work contact names and the call history shows the names as well.

So frustrating...
    02-27-17 08:46 AM
    If you hover your mouse over that policy you'll see that unfortunately it only applies to devices running Android 7.0
    So my response back from BB today about needing Nougat is in line with what you are saying. But this is ridiculous. We have no idea when we will see Nougat. The product is basically broken and has been broken since launch on our current hardware (provided by BlackBerry). I just fired up a classic and the work contacts appear in all the important areas, notifications, call history, text conversations AND voicemail.

Did they really expect this to be acceptable on all?
    02-27-17 10:59 AM
    I have BES 12.5.1 and see that policy setting as well. I just got my hands on a google pixel device (7.1.1), but contacts still dont appear in the personal contacts app when running afw activation. I do see that caller id is working with work contact names and the call history shows the names as well.

So frustrating...
    I was figuring it will never appear in the personal side contacts, that was just a bit too much to ask for. I put the work contacts app on my home screen and resigned myself that I would have to use the work side contact app to initiate phone calls and text messages.

On the pixel, can you configure visual voicemail and see what appears in there when you receive an actual voicemail. That's the part that's not working for me unless I have a contact defined in my google contacts.

I now have 2 issues BB is telling me need 7.x Nougat. First is the BSCP VPN will not stay connected because Doze kicks in and shuts it down. That means I don't get any emails from work unless I keep the phone connected to a charger or keep waking it up. Completely ridiculous. I'm getting around that on the Priv by using an app called "disable doze". It keeps the BSCP connection live all the time (like it should). But that app is not working on a Samsung S6A. Now we have this issue all to be solved (maybe) with Nougat. When will we see Nougat? Who knows. Maddening.

How can they release products that don't provide the same features as their previous products? I just fired up a classic on UEM and all areas display the work contact name including voicemail. BB just thought that wasn't important for Android devices? It's a huge miss. Then saying it will be fixed in Nougat (which was released in August, but still unavailable on Both hardware platforms I use), Brilliant!
    Last edited by Roveer; 02-27-17 at 12:13 PM.
    02-27-17 11:04 AM
    So I just got off the phone with BB support. In UEM 12.6 MR1 the issue still exists. Personal apps cannot access work contacts. They said its a "known issue" and "should" be resolved in 12.6 MR2. No ETA on that release according to the BB rep.
    We are moving to 12.6 UEM within the next week or two. I've been hearing the promise that this will be fixed for a very long time now.
    I was just told last week to disable SCP (their suggested fix) on my ECC profile as we are running into other issues with BB updates crippling nearly 40-50 of our devices..
    Yeah, we have seen the same issue with Visual Voicemail.. and had to disable it for users moving to Android Devices. No notice would be given if the user received a voicemail. Id like to test this for you, but would require an update call to our carrier. I'll let you know if i get a chance to test this.
    02-27-17 11:22 AM
    So I just got off the phone with BB support. In UEM 12.6 MR1 the issue still exists. Personal apps cannot access work contacts. They said its a "known issue" and "should" be resolved in 12.6 MR2. No ETA on that release according to the BB rep.
    We are moving to 12.6 UEM within the next week or two. I've been hearing the promise that this will be fixed for a very long time now.
    I was just told last week to disable SCP (their suggested fix) on my ECC profile as we are running into other issues with BB updates crippling nearly 40-50 of our devices..
    Yeah, we have seen the same issue with Visual Voicemail.. and had to disable it for users moving to Android Devices. No notice would be given if the user received a voicemail. Id like to test this for you, but would require an update call to our carrier. I'll let you know if i get a chance to test this.
    Wow. I really thought I was doing something wrong here and it wasn't possible that these platforms have been in existence for close to a year or more without these basic functionalities. How do you give a user a product and tell them, your VM list will be phone number only and you have to figure out who it is? Did they really release a product missing these basic features? My kids VVM is better than that. At least you were able to confirm that this problem is not just in my environment.
    Last edited by Roveer; 02-27-17 at 12:11 PM.
    02-27-17 11:43 AM
    Yeah its been so frustrating. Been with them for 3 years now.

I have an update regarding contacts. They DO work on the google pixel. Let me explain: When I opened the personal contacts there were no work contacts listed, so i thought that meant they werent synced to my personal side. However, I did a search in my personal contacts and guess what.. All my work contacts are searchable.. From the personal phone!

So im not sure what the BB rep was referring to regarding the JIRA document, unless its the fact that the contacts dont appear in the personal contacts list, but I can now confirm on an AFW activated Google Pixel device, that corporate contacts are searchable from the personal phone app.
    02-27-17 12:16 PM
    Yeah its been so frustrating. Been with them for 3 years now.

I have an update regarding contacts. They DO work on the google pixel. Let me explain: When I opened the personal contacts there were no work contacts listed, so i thought that meant they werent synced to my personal side. However, I did a search in my personal contacts and guess what.. All my work contacts are searchable.. From the personal phone!

So im not sure what the BB rep was referring to regarding the JIRA document, unless its the fact that the contacts don't appear in the personal contacts list, but I can now confirm on an AFW activated Google Pixel device, that corporate contacts are searchable from the personal phone app.
    Well, that does follow what the IT Profile check box says. It says user can search work contacts.

So I'm really interested to know about the visual voicemail. Another poster says BB is telling them it won't be fixed till 12.6 MR2 (no eta). Are you seeing names or just numbers in your VVM box? if only numbers, how do you live with that? I'd be totally lost if I didn't have names. Even my old 9810 (torch) on BES 4.1.4 (yes, still running BB7) gives me names. I'm a very small shop and couldn't even consider handing out devices that lack functionality that they've had for 10 years and expecting not to get tarred and feathered.
    02-27-17 12:26 PM
    For our BB VVM, the name does appear, as long as you have a contact defined for that caller.
    VVM does not work for our Android devices.
    02-27-17 12:41 PM
    For our BB VVM, the name does appear, as long as you have a contact defined for that caller.
    VVM does not work for our Android devices.
    When you say BB VMM you are referring to BB10 devices? Yes, my Classic works as it should. I am completely stupefied that BB put out software that doesn't support the most basic features and that the end user community is accepting this. What do you tell your android users. Get over it? You can buy a 29 dollar prepaid and get named VVM feature. BB really screwed us on this and several other shortcomings.
    02-27-17 06:07 PM
    So let's simplify. Forget my long rambling post from above. If you have an android device on BES or UEM I have a single question:

Does your visual voicemail app show only phone numbers or does it show the names of the voice mails matched to your company contacts? That's my question.
    03-01-17 04:44 PM