I am in the unique position of not owning a cell. I am actually one of the few relics who has never owned a cell. Yes, that's right the 40 year old virgin! (well not quite 40 but getting there)

I just never really needed a cell. Always someone else had a cell or I am at my house or desk at work etc. However with some need from work, social stuff, advance in technology, convenience of it and me liking cool gadgets... well i have decided to jump in all the way with a smartphone. Being Canadian it was an easy choice for me to go with Blackberry and the fact that the 8900 is just slipping out the Rogers door now and the Storm probably within a week.

Because I have never had a phone I am not sure what parts of it and which features i will use most. Probably be used more for browsing and media over phone and texting with some email(but not a power user). So if you were in my shoes and you could choose Rogers(8900 or bold), Telus or Bell(storm) for a new 3yr of any phone which one and why? (Price is not a factor as they are each within 50$)

Thanks
    12-06-08 04:28 PM
    id go with the bold

3g internet is amazing!
    12-06-08 04:31 PM
    It depends on what your looking for. Personally I go with a bold because Im not keen on touch screen phones and prefer a real full qwerty keyboard
    12-06-08 04:34 PM
    I've noticed that.. Reading all the reviews and such are always great, but I would recommend you go in the store and have a hands-on experience w/ the phone.. Just because everyone is different and has different ideas..
    Good luck choosing one! Sounds quite difficult lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 04:44 PM
    your best bet is to go to the store and check both out. I've had the curve and the storm. The storm has a much nicer display but the curve was easier to type on.
    12-06-08 04:47 PM
    I would choose the carrier first. I am on VZW and like the service alot. Heard horror stories about AT&T but that is all second hand. Never used them.

After you have selected which one then choose the phone. I have the Storm now and used a Pearl before that. I probably would have traded my Pearl for a Curve if the Storm had not come out.

If you decided on AT&T then its a choice between Bold and Curve. Heard good things on both. Curve is an all around solid choice no matter what the carrier. I tend to like messing around with the newer stuff so I would probably go with the Bold if I was on AT&T.

Happy BlackBerry'ing.
    12-06-08 04:49 PM
    Yeah the difficulty with this is you actualy need to hold each one and interact with it a little bit so you get a feel for it. You will not be disappointed by either the Bold or the 8900, I am not into touch screen phones so I will reserve judgement on the Storm. But between the Bold and 8900 you just need to get a feel for them.

Size may be an issue for you as well since you are not used to carrying around a phone you may want to consider size and carrying ability. I personally have a Bold which I like but I find it a little bit big so I have a Pearl which I switch to if space is a concern or if I think my Bold may get damaged.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer or guidance on this one. Go forth and play!
    12-06-08 04:53 PM
    I agree...nothing beats an up close inspection. Get a feel for all three and "your" BB will speak to you.
    12-06-08 05:27 PM
    Such a personal choice. I prefer the physical keyboard. I have the ipod touch and hate the typing on it. Try them out. Most places give you that 30 day option
    12-06-08 05:30 PM
    I have no idea what coverage is like in Canada...all I know is it's where cold air comes from. However, that being said, I would do some research as to the networks associated with each of these devices and not let the phone itself dictate your decision. As an example...in Lincoln Nebraska, someone with an Iphone doesn't look cool, they look stupid because the data connectivity stinks on hot ice and their voice network is only slightly better. Consider if the phone will actually work before you jump in. All that said, if I had my druthers at this point I'd say Bold.
    12-06-08 05:32 PM
    my opinion is that in the US, verizon is the ONLY network worth using. AT&T is absolutely dreadful. I have lived in many parts of the country using an AT&T phone for work and VZW for my personal one. There is no comparison. It is for that reason that i have a Storm.

HOWEVER... if i had an option of a Bold for VZW, i would probably go for it. The Bold is a sweeeeeet device.

:::Talks to his Storm::: "i'm sorry, i really do love you too little guy."
    12-06-08 09:53 PM
    i have a curve, and i can't wait until my carrier gets the bold!!
    12-06-08 10:05 PM
    3G!!!!!!!!!
    12-06-08 10:44 PM
    The storm and bold are in a different league compared to the curve IMO. I was already on Verizon so I was leaning heavily towards the Storm, but the Bold is a really nice phone and the Speed Racer trailer on the Bold blew me away, it has a really nice screen for its size. Personally, I could never leave a reliable carrier like Verizon just for a phone, since something new comes out every year. Since this is your 1st phone, I would pick the best network 1st and then the best phone.
    Last edited by armedtank; 12-06-08 at 11:46 PM.
    12-06-08 11:44 PM
    I think you need to look at what extra features (aside from regular calling) you value most and intend on using most. For example if you plan on surfing the web a lot then I think the Bold would be better for you over the new Curve. If you like a really good camera on your phone then perhaps the Curve. Too the feel of the device may sway you. The Curve 8900 feels better in the hands and in the pocket compared to the Bold.

Side note, I think the Pearl Flip makes an excellent entry into the BB world. It's compact, has a number of advanced features, runs the new 4.6 OS, etc. For $49 I think it's a smart choice if you wanna have a BB on the budget, **** you get a $50 Canadian Tire credit with it if you order online. Also note that the old Curve is now $49 at Telus and it's 3G too.

As for the Storm, I'd give it a pass.
    12-07-08 12:31 AM
    I gotta be completely honest with you.. your best bet would be to grab a bold. I love my phone but the storm isn't something a completely new cellphone user should jump into.. it can sometimes be frustrating to learn something new when the software itself isn't up to par yet.. The bold is now well rounded and is a great device..

In the end it comes down to what you want. The screen on the storm is amazing but the bold screen is nothing to spit on.

There is also another major thing. Do you like or dislike touch screen's it really is a hate or love relationship.

I wish I could own both

the 8900 is very awesome looking and may be a great device I have not had my hands on one so I can't give you a solid opinion as of yet.
    12-07-08 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD