Ok, this is something highly speculative but I think it's not unlikely that John Chen did something really awesome. I had these thoughts after hearing Steve Cistulli in the CrackBerry Postcast saying that they work "very closely" with BlackBerry to design hardware. Well, I've seen no news that BlackBerry laid off hundreds of people in their own hardware department, so they might still be there and working on devices like they've always did.

But why should John Chen do this? The reason is simple: Shareholders and analysts have always jugded BlackBerry by their devices and their sales numbers. As we know, those numbers were pretty bad the last few years. So John Chen might have thought: OK, let's pretend we "outsourced" our hardware department and focus on software.

Analysts and shareholders then think: "Awesome, BlackBerry kicked their unprofitable hardware department and focusses on software now. We have no clue about software but EoT / IoT is a great buzzword everyone is talking about these days. Great that BlackBerry focusses on these things now."

This way BlackBerry can continue making smartphones but won't fail if their sales numbers aren't as good as everyone expects.

Problem solved.

Software is the new BlackBerry.

Please let me know what you think!
    02-23-17 10:34 AM
    I think that would be a very quick way to get ousted as ceo and drive the share price down even more. This information would leak.

I honestly don't see that being an agreement that would be favourable to either company.

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 and andy957 like this.
    02-23-17 10:40 AM
    blackberry is a software company....that is all.
    02-23-17 11:01 AM
    Yah, we all want some big conspiracy worthy of a straight-to-DVD movie, but unfortunately life isn't that exciting...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-23-17 11:07 AM
    Ehm... no. I think that would be a criminal act, although I'm not a lawyer.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 11:11 AM
    And no. They're out of hardware.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 11:11 AM
    Like Apple and Google.
    02-23-17 11:15 AM
    Where is my popcorn? When will this new movie come out? Hopefully this time BlackBerry comes back bigger than Apple.
    mundo472 likes this.
    02-23-17 12:29 PM
    Like Apple and Google.
    Apple is hardware mostly
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-23-17 01:04 PM
    What what would be the benefit for TCL then?
    Why would they made this? Just to please BB's shareholders ?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 01:08 PM
    BlackBerry no longer has a hardware department and the Mercury was designed some time ago now.

Steve Cistulli said that BlackBerry device customer support people now come under TCL's BlackBerry Mobile.
    02-23-17 01:38 PM
    Ok, this is something highly speculative but I think it's not unlikely that John Chen did something really awesome. I had these thoughts after hearing Steve Cistulli in the CrackBerry Postcast saying that they work "very closely" with BlackBerry to design hardware. Well, I've seen no news that BlackBerry laid off hundreds of people in their own hardware department, so they might still be there and working on devices like they've always did.

But why should John Chen do this? The reason is simple: Shareholders and analysts have always jugded BlackBerry by their devices and their sales numbers. As we know, those numbers were pretty bad the last few years. So John Chen might have thought: OK, let's pretend we "outsourced" our hardware department and focus on software.

Analysts and shareholders then think: "Awesome, BlackBerry kicked their unprofitable hardware department and focusses on software now. We have no clue about software but EoT / IoT is a great buzzword everyone is talking about these days. Great that BlackBerry focusses on these things now."

This way BlackBerry can continue making smartphones but won't fail if their sales numbers aren't as good as everyone expects.

Problem solved.

Really?? You're such a kidder.....had everyone going there for a minute...
    02-23-17 01:44 PM
    Now we're talkin'! Let's crank this crazy up to 11
    02-23-17 02:58 PM
    What what would be the benefit for TCL then?
    Why would they made this? Just to please BB's shareholders ?

Posted via CB10
    Well, TCL would be the manufacturer like Foxconn was before. So that's a benefit. But what if TCL doesn't design the devices but only build them?

Thanks so far everyone
    mundo472 likes this.
    02-23-17 03:09 PM

Problem solved.

Wow................I just have no comment.................next up black choppers dropping passports from the sky
    02-23-17 04:09 PM
    Hmm, don't think so. What about Dtek 50 and 60. They are basically rebranded Alcatels. This has been in the works long before it was announced, way before. The Priv is the last blackberry device truly made by BlackBerry
    02-23-17 04:24 PM
    Wow................I just have no comment.................next up black choppers dropping passports from the sky
    Where, where...where...lol

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 04:26 PM
    Now we're talkin'! Let's crank this crazy up to 11
    Lol

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-23-17 05:11 PM
    Hmm, don't think so. What about Dtek 50 and 60. They are basically rebranded Alcatels. This has been in the works long before it was announced, way before. The Priv is the last blackberry device truly made by BlackBerry
    Although made from their standard parts inventory, the DTEK60 is a completely unique device - with a combination of components not mirrored by TCL-branded, or Alcatel-branded devices.
    02-23-17 05:24 PM
    Wait, so you're saying Elvis designed the Mercury? Cool!
    02-23-17 05:25 PM
    Where, where...where...lol

Posted via CB10
    Shocking!.........that gets a woof!
    02-23-17 05:42 PM
    Does this count as "Fake News"? LOL

Posted via CB10
    nbaliga likes this.
    02-23-17 06:20 PM
    Does this count as "Fake News"? LOL
    Either that or alternative "facts".
    nbaliga and jakie55 like this.
    02-23-17 06:29 PM
    Interesting thought.......... but............no.

The closest thing to that would be that in the partner ship created, BlackBerry hardware Division became a part of TCL. So no layoffs ( bad press, stock price impact, etc...). Everyone is still working on BlackBerry just not for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 06:41 PM
    John Legere, maybe, John Chen, hell no!
    JC is a straight laced guy.
    Your point about not laying off hardware division is interesting, but I think they already did a lot of that last couple of years in bits and chunks.
    02-23-17 06:56 PM
44 12