Hey everyone,

I thought since there was so much curiosity about the pointer mode function on the PRIV I would post a video showing how to enable the feature.

Please note to enable this feature it requires using an autoloader, which will wipe the device of data. If you're on a Verizon variant of the PRIV the feature should be there already and does not need the use of an autoloader. This will NOT work on the AT&T and T-Mobile variants of the PRIV, all other devices it should work on. I am not sure how future updates will occur with this OS load on your device.

**DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK**

I recommend watching this video that demonstrates the function before proceeding:

1) Download and install the latest South Korean Priv OS (AAJ049, February 2017 patch): https://bbapps.download.blackberry.c...mon-AAJ049.zip

2) Go to "Settings", "About Phone" and then click on "Build Number" ten times to enable "Developer Mode"

3) Go back a screen and click on "Developer Options"

4) Under "Input" enable "Pointer Mode" and I recommend turning on "Use Mute key for pointer mode".

You now have pointer mode. Enjoy!

Link to @thurask thread asking for testers: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-mode-1100466/
    Last edited by mrfreeze; 02-21-17 at 01:31 PM.
    02-21-17 01:12 PM
    Thanks so much for doing this! Really want pointer mode on my Priv. Now just have to get brave enough to try.
    nonamenomore likes this.
    02-21-17 04:40 PM
    Thanks so much for doing this! Really want pointer mode on my Priv. Now just have to get brave enough to try.
    I'm hoping that this becomes a standard feature soon and people won't need to go through all of this trouble.

Good luck if you decide to do it!
    02-21-17 06:29 PM
    Does this autoloader wipe the phone? Or is it like an update patch?

Thanks for sharing!
    nonamenomore likes this.
    02-21-17 06:57 PM
    Does this autoloader wipe the phone? Or is it like an update patch?

Thanks for sharing!
    Wipes the phone.
    02-21-17 06:59 PM
    Wipes the phone.
    As much as I wanted to try this feature it never came on att privs.
    02-21-17 07:36 PM
    Wow this is awesome!! Nice to see it in action. Seems very smooth and functional.

Stuff like this is why I like BlackBerry.

Thanks for doing the video and really hope they bring it as an actual "feature" instead of having to go through Developer Settings.

Edit: I have a question Freeze, is there a way to scroll with Pointer Mode enabled? Maybe double tap and swipe? I'm interested to know if this is doable.
    02-21-17 10:42 PM
    Beauty. Does it help you select text for copy/pasting? Maybe hold shift and swipe right/left?
    02-21-17 11:21 PM
    I wonder how OTA updates work for this. We'll probably find out early next month.
    02-21-17 11:59 PM
    I wonder how OTA updates work for this. We'll probably find out early next month.
    Doubt it will coming to the other variant
    02-22-17 12:13 AM
    Wow this is awesome!! Nice to see it in action. Seems very smooth and functional.

Thanks for doing the video and really hope they bring it as an actual "feature" instead of having to go through Developer Settings.

Edit: I have a question Freeze, is there a way to scroll with Pointer Mode enabled? Maybe double tap and swipe? I'm interested to know if this is doable.
    Yes, Swipe with two fingers to scroll.

Whoops, I accidentally hit the RTL setting and the Back and Recent buttons were switched and the toggles all moved to the left side of the screen!!
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-22-17 12:57 AM
    Yes, Swipe with two fingers to scroll.

Whoops, I accidentally hit the RTL setting and the Back and Recent buttons were switched and the toggles all moved to the left side of the screen!!
    You can switch the 'back button and recent app button? I would love to do that!
    02-22-17 01:09 AM
    Thanks so so much for taking the time to put this together! The Pointer Mode looks fantastic and I imagine I would use it a lot!

I guess I will soon give autoloading a go on my STV100-4 Priv to get this feature. Pointer Mode should have been built in from the start
    02-22-17 05:27 AM

As F22 said you can still scroll with two fingers and it works very well.
    02-22-17 07:19 AM
    Beauty. Does it help you select text for copy/pasting? Maybe hold shift and swipe right/left?
    There is no shift hold or anything for selecting text. You can click on the text with the cursor as if you're using your finger and then you can select and hold the text selector piece. But I don't find this easier than using your fingers.
    pooyam likes this.
    02-22-17 07:22 AM
    That's what I have been wondering. Now that the PRIV is not my main device I'll be able to test it when the next update is released.

Edit: Maybe I should put the previous OS image from this branch on the device and then try to do an update?
    02-22-17 07:23 AM
    You can switch the 'back button and recent app button? I would love to do that!
    It also switched where all those slider toggles are from the right to left (therefore, the name RTL): In Developer Options, scroll down past the input to Drawing items and it is "force RTL layout direction" which I accidently hit while playing with Pointer Mode and screen scrolling. It took a while to find what I had done since Pointer mode and scrolling moved me all around, kind of blindly.
    02-22-17 09:04 AM
    It also switched where all those slider toggles are from the right to left (therefore, the name RTL): In Developer Options, scroll down past the input to Drawing items and it is "force RTL layout direction" which I accidently hit while playing with Pointer Mode and screen scrolling. It took a while to find what I had done since Pointer mode and scrolling moved me all around, kind of blindly.
    You are right but the screen 'moving' lol

I want like on the nexus can customize the navigation bar , I'm right handed prefer back button on the right side.
    Attached Thumbnails How to enable Pointer mode on the BlackBerry PRIV-223.jpg  
    02-22-17 09:15 AM
    This on Priv
    Attached Thumbnails How to enable Pointer mode on the BlackBerry PRIV-828.jpg  
    zephyr613 likes this.
    02-22-17 09:16 AM
    You are right but the screen 'moving' lol

I want like on the nexus can customize the navigation bar , I'm right handed prefer back button on the right side.
    Well, being Left handed, I've adapted in most things. I immediately hated the reverse navigation/control buttons. It was like "GET ME OUT OF HERE!" The abbreviation RTL did not immediately jump out at me but it was the only thing I could see. It was not quite as terrible as when I turned on the "screen reader" talking mode. That drove me crazy for about 5-10 minutes trying to find out how to turn that off.
    02-22-17 09:19 AM
    This on Priv
    Yup, all the buttons and controls were reversed. Hmm, I don't know if it switches the Hamburger and Three-dot menus in the various apps, too. Maybe it is designed for the Right-to-Left reading languages like Hebrew and others?
    02-22-17 09:21 AM
    Yup, all the buttons and controls were reversed. Hmm, I don't know if it switches the Hamburger and Three-dot menus in the various apps, too. Maybe it is designed for the Right-to-Left reading languages like Hebrew and others?
    Ah make sense
    02-22-17 09:29 AM
    I also really wish this was a built-in feature across all Privs. It makes so much sense to have pointer mode on a pkb device. Really wish the developers would let us know one way or the other if enabling this feature is planned in future updates, or not. I'm going to assume that it's not.
    02-22-17 09:34 AM
    That's what I have been wondering. Now that the PRIV is not my main device I'll be able to test it when the next update is released.

Edit: Maybe I should put the previous OS image from this branch on the device and then try to do an update?
    If you want. AAI451 (January patch): https://mega.nz/#!HBkT0SaS!7cJGboV7_...uPya3apFVy__tM
    02-22-17 10:05 AM
    If you want. AAI451 (January patch): https://mega.nz/#!HBkT0SaS!7cJGboV7_...uPya3apFVy__tM
    I'll do it tomorrow or possibly tonight.
    02-22-17 10:59 AM
93 123 ...