Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was at before I upgraded to .75, but after I upgraded, I noticed that even after a hard reset, the memory is at 29mb. Is this how it's supposed to be? Note that this is the official .75, not the leaked.

I'm trying to figure out if I have a hardware defect in my phone... anyone else's memory only at 29mb after hard reset?
    12-06-08 04:12 AM
    I doubt its a hardware defect. I have 40.9 right now with the official version but thats with the funambol client, Ascendo Money, and google maps installed so far.
    12-06-08 04:14 AM
    I have no extra apps installed, and I had uninstalled VZ nav etc... why would my memory be only at 29mb? I tried the hard reset a few times, and its always at 29mb afterwards.
    12-06-08 04:17 AM
    hmm... I got 45MB right now running .76. Are you closing/exiting out of programs? Or are you just hiting the escape/back key?
    12-06-08 04:23 AM
    hes at 40 because he tweaked it with a fresh install..

there is extra things on your bb that take up some room like the locked wallpapers and such I sit at around 29-32 with a bunch of things installed.. and it runs awesome

keep in mind the application memory is more like ram in a sense..

media and things get stored elsewhere.
    12-06-08 04:24 AM
    I'm not opening any apps. I pull the battery out after I switch off the phone. Then I put the battery back in, wait for it to all restart, and go check my memory and it says 29mb. This is IMMEDIATELY after the phone has reset, without any apps opened...

whhhyyy?

EDIT: I realize that the memory is like RAM, which is why I'm concerned... more free memory = more available RAM right? When my friend restarts his Storm on the leaked .75, he has 49mb memory free. When I restart mine on the official .75, I have 29mb...wth? Maybe I should try wiping this OS and installing the leaked one to see if I get the same results? If I don't, it must mean for some reason my storm is losing 18mbs somewhere, which can only be caused by a hardware issue right (since we would be running the same OS)...
    Last edited by fatal1ty44; 12-06-08 at 04:31 AM.
    12-06-08 04:25 AM
    hes at 40 because he tweaked it with a fresh install..

there is extra things on your bb that take up some room like the locked wallpapers and such I sit at around 29-32 with a bunch of things installed.. and it runs awesome

keep in mind the application memory is more like ram in a sense..

media and things get stored elsewhere.
    Actually I've not tweaked things to get here as of yet at all. I did a bone stock rip everything out and put in .65 then did a handheld wipe then dropped VZW's .75 in directly off their site via DM. Essentially exactly what the developers would expecting of a good little soldier that only installs their updates.

I have found that installing apps DOES affect the application memory. Doing a reset and writing down the value then installing (or uninstalling) an app then doing a reset and comparing the values tends to yield a difference. However I've not had a BB long enough (nor cared to sit down and do the experiment) to track how well the size of said application relates to the delta in the application memory.
    12-06-08 05:14 AM
    I'll do an experiment with VZNavigator right now.. At the moment its not installed I'll do a reset and report application memory. then install and reset and state the delta. I'll edit this post and place it in here.

EDIT: After soft reset so far at 40.6
    Simply installed VZ Navigator and exited now at 39.9. Doing soft reset now.
    After booting from soft reset I actually went down even further to 39.7

So installing VZ Navigator results in a difference of about .9 Megs.

After installing Visual Voice Mail I'm at 38.2 MB (VVM is a 1MB download so says the browser)

That gives a delta of 1.5 MB (but I've not soft reset yet)

After soft reset I'm at 38.5 which provides a delta of 1.2 MB.

This seems to me that the application memory really IS where these thigns is getting installed. However the fact that there is a gig in the device and that we can only see 800 something megs of storage space on the device leads me to believe that there is one flash device and that the OS is simply partitioning it as they see fit. I think if we were to complain/beg that we can get more application memory via software changes.

Now someone else should do this with the Piggy Vcast Music application... (is there any way to install apps to the storage card like one can do in Windows Mobile?)
    Last edited by bthoward; 12-06-08 at 05:44 AM.
    12-06-08 05:18 AM
    wow. i don't think i've ever seen mine at more than 39. even after a battery pull or soft reset.
    and it keeps going down and down.
    12-06-08 05:22 AM
    Actually I've not tweaked things to get here as of yet at all. I did a bone stock rip everything out and put in .65 then did a handheld wipe then dropped VZW's .75 in directly off their site via DM. Essentially exactly what the developers would expecting of a good little soldier that only installs their updates.

I have found that installing apps DOES affect the application memory. Doing a reset and writing down the value then installing (or uninstalling) an app then doing a reset and comparing the values tends to yield a difference. However I've not had a BB long enough (nor cared to sit down and do the experiment) to track how well the size of said application relates to the delta in the application memory.

exactly you tweaked it reguardless of how you look at it you installed non carrier driven os.. Thats tweaked..

The os from verizon has extra things on it that come stock all the time..

correct?

also you have not installed some of the other useful apps on a bb ?
    12-06-08 05:22 AM
    and yes application installs effect the application memory the only place on a bb you can install applications is in that memory.. but the memory in that slot is also similiar to ram in that the more free the smoother it runs..

when you install media it goes to either the interal 800+ bit ot the media card your choice the media does not effect application memory

However this is things placed on the application memory that take up room that are considered media in my book..

Such as the locked wallpapers they sit on the application memory bit
    12-06-08 05:24 AM
    exactly you tweaked it reguardless of how you look at it you installed non carrier driven os.. Thats tweaked..

The os from verizon has extra things on it that come stock all the time..

correct?

also you have not installed some of the other useful apps on a bb ?
    No I am running the .75 Verizon update. I HAD installed the .75 leaked version. But today I downgraded and reinstalled the latest Verizon .65 and then upgraded that to the VZW .75 today. So essentially I'm running exactly what your average joe frady cat would be if they didn't ever want to update to anything non Verizon.
    12-06-08 06:11 AM
    and yes application installs effect the application memory the only place on a bb you can install applications is in that memory.. but the memory in that slot is also similiar to ram in that the more free the smoother it runs..

when you install media it goes to either the interal 800+ bit ot the media card your choice the media does not effect application memory

However this is things placed on the application memory that take up room that are considered media in my book..

Such as the locked wallpapers they sit on the application memory bit

Agreed that its similar to RAM in that the more you have available the smoother you run however it seems like if you're using it that it should state that its using it and remove that from what is available and with that theroy in place if there is any free than you should be ok. But it doesn't have a "disk" to page to even though it could page to the media area I'm certain that it doesn't. Its unlike ram in that usually people don't install their apps to ram. And this is NV which means that its probably well slower than if BB has thrown some DRAM out there for it to do its thrashing in. Would have probably shortened battery life by a good bit but it would run a good bit faster for memory intensive apps and would give you a more stable experience as you wouldn't be able to install your apps into the same space that you use as scratch execution ram. Probably not enough memory intensive apps to warrant the battery life/cost of putting some DDR in there.

I understand that one can select the location of media however on my Windows Mobile device I could have installed apps to the media card and installed apps into folders right along side my media. You'd usually take a speed hit as you were installing into a serial flash rather than the device's parallel flash but often that was a reasonable balance. One other problem was that depending on if the app was designed to work in that memory space or not some apps had major stability issues when installed in the memory card space.
    12-06-08 06:18 AM
    Shoot, I've got 21.1mb available with nothing running on VWZ .75 after a hard reset. Mine changes through out the day, I might see 40 during some parts and 21 during other parts. No idea why as I have no apps running.
    12-06-08 06:41 AM
    New to BB. Is there an app or utility that allows you to see what is on the phone and how much memory/space it is using?

I used to have a Treo and when you ran the app list it showed what it was using.
    12-06-08 06:43 AM
    I have 50.X after the update. But I don't have a lot of the applications installed like VZ Nav and Visual Voicemail.
    12-06-08 08:00 AM
    I'm running Verizon ver.75 with VZ Nav, Visual Voice Mail and Viigo installed.

FWIW, before battery pull, I had 29.0 mb with the 6 apps running in background. After pull, I'm at 39 mb. with same 6 apps running (phone, home, messages, BB Messenger and App Center).

Since I never use BB Messenger, can this be turned off permanently????

Note: Just dropped to 37.5 w/o opening any other programs....I guess it fluctuates.
    12-06-08 08:52 AM
    I've been thinking about getting rid of black berry messenger too but haven't done it yet since I never use it.

After installing .75 I had 51 mb. I've gotten rid of a lot of things the extra languages, BB maps, VZ nav, Visual voice mail, word mole, brick breaker (I just don't use the games), tasks or anything I don't use.

I've added Gmail, Google Maps, Gtalk, and thinking about adding Google Sync and Viigo.

I do want to figure out how to remove all the samples and voice dialing to free up a bit of space. I know it is explained in some of the threads and in the BB 101 area on this website.

I usually am in the mid to low 40s for memory and crack the high 30s at times. I make sure I'm not running any of my added applications in the background though.
    12-06-08 09:10 AM
    I did a wipe with JL_Cmder and then installed .75 and I have over 50mb free.
    12-06-08 09:12 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys... so what does this mean for me? Since I'm consistently at 29mb after hard reset, do I need get a replacement phone?
    12-06-08 01:42 PM
    I'm at even less memory at28.8. I don't know why this was right after the update. Thinking of doing a battery pull and seeing if that helps any. I have also deleted browser cache. It helped free up some space before. I think this phone would have been better with more memory. Hopefully the os gets smaller.
    12-06-08 02:22 PM
    I don't know but I have less than you running official .75
    12-06-08 02:32 PM
    I used to range around the 30s, either low or high. I just checked and it is at 29.2mb... and I have NOT updated to the new OS yet.
    12-06-08 02:43 PM
    I'm at 9.8mb right now....
    12-06-08 03:04 PM
    Mine was around 20 mb after a battery pull. I had the youtube app and deleted it. once I did that and a battery pull I'm back up to 40 mb
    12-06-08 03:17 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD