Right now the battery's health is marked as good, but on closer inspection, I noticed that the health is at 83% after being at 84% for many months. Is there a "recondition" method that can be used or something? Worried. Thanks.
    01-27-17 10:49 AM
    How often have you ever let the battery die completely? Perhaps praticing complete drain and fill could do it. I know it's a pain but worth a try.
    I do this all the time and still good after 2.5 yrs. Other wise it's not hard to disassemble if you order a new battery.
    Tim-ANC and coffee-turtle like this.
    01-27-17 10:59 AM
    How often have you ever let the battery die completely? Perhaps praticing complete drain and fill could do it. I know it's a pain but worth a try.
    I do this all the time and still good after 2.5 yrs. Other wise it's not hard to disassemble if you order a new battery.
    NEVER, NEVER do this. draining Lithium ion batteries completely damages cells each time you do it thus shortening the life span and lessening the charging ability of your battery. This is common knowledge. Ideal practices are stated as charge at 45% and charge to 95%. Basically lithium ion likes having juice flowing though it. I will plug it in when I go to bed at anything less than 60% and take it off charge in the morning. Reconditioning batteries by draining them is a myth and a harmful practice
    coffee-turtle and dmlis like this.
    01-27-17 02:41 PM
    Is there a way to completely stop the passport from draining any juice at all? I ask because some of us have noticed that even turning the passport off doesn't stop the battery drain. Odd...

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-27-17 03:11 PM
    NEVER let your battery drain completely. Also, avoid leaving the phone plugged to the charger all night, regardless what the 'experts' may say, I've proved this does affect all batteries. If you need to wake up at 100% get a timer. They are very cheap, mine cost $3.50. Mine is set to let current flow from 5:30am to 7:00am. Lastly, get a multimeter, they are also fairly cheap, at around $15. This gadget will allow you to test your chargers, and make sure they provide maximum and stable current.

Bonus: the BlackBerry branded battery pack works amazingly well on the Passport. It seems to me it was designed for this specific phone.

Posted via CB10
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    01-27-17 03:52 PM
    Health never gets better. A car type battery takes some permanent damage without seeing new charging voltage after two weeks. Not sure about today's phone battery's . I have seen a lot of electronics sit for many months and not act like they have a compromised battery. Even a ten year old PALM TX I use for diagnostics on a vehicle.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    01-27-17 04:12 PM
    Try an update the software. It generally helps.
    01-27-17 04:24 PM
    I have left mine on charger overnight since my Bold 9700 (Battery is still good I made add) The phone will basically go into a form of 'trickle charge' mode once it hits 100%, thus protecting the battery and device. If it didn't do this your phone would be very hot in the morning and it isn't. Also take care to not leave your device in a hot vehicle for any length of time. Just remember that heat and letting your battery die is the enemy. I would love to see the "proof" that leaving it on a charger affects all batteries as well. If this is your personal experience than I can save I've Proved this doesn't affect all batteries at all.
    01-27-17 05:18 PM
    To the original question...

No, there's is nothing you can do to "revive" or replenish a battery's condition. As it gets used, it's condition, or "health" gets ever so slowly worse.

It's like using a pencil. You can sharpen it, you can use it less to extend the time between sharpenings, but it's always getting shorter. Eventually there's no pencil left to sharpen. You can't magically re-grow the wood and graphite in the pencil to make it longer again.

It's only a matter of time. There are ways to slow down a battery's diminishing health. Not letting it drain completely on a regular basis is one way. And, keeping it on a charger overnight does not hurt it. But, any and all batteries eventually completely die.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 05:44 PM
    NEVER, NEVER do this. draining Lithium ion batteries completely damages cells each time you do it thus shortening the life span and lessening the charging ability of your battery. This is common knowledge. Ideal practices are stated as charge at 45% and charge to 95%. Basically lithium ion likes having juice flowing though it. I will plug it in when I go to bed at anything less than 60% and take it off charge in the morning. Reconditioning batteries by draining them is a myth and a harmful practice
    Wow. Well I'm glad I answered with the wrong answer lol. Now I learned something new
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 11:31 PM
    Wow. Well I'm glad I answered with the wrong answer lol. Now I learned something new
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    You didn't answer with the wrong answer. Your thought could be right on depending on the software side of things. Plus the Passport shuts down before complete drain happens. Preventing any damage that may occur.

What the OP should do is run the battery down until the phone shuts off on its own. Than plug it in and charge it to 100 % and during the charging period do not unplug it until it reads 100%.

That will calibrate the software and give you the most true reading of your battery health.
    Tim-ANC and coffee-turtle like this.
    01-27-17 11:54 PM
    You didn't answer with the wrong answer. Your thought could be right on depending on the software side of things. Plus the Passport shuts down before complete drain happens. Preventing any damage that may occur.

What the OP should do is run the battery down until the phone shuts off on its own. Than plug it in and charge it to 100 % and during the charging period do not unplug it until it reads 100%.

That will calibrate the software and give you the most true reading of your battery health.
    Hmm....thought that's what I said in a different language....... like English.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-17 11:49 PM

I use this method every 6 months or so and when the device is new. Had ATT Passport almost 2 years and use it all day, every day. Battery life has always been excellent.

I know this subject is debatable. But I have never seen any definitive test data about it.
    01-29-17 02:07 AM
    I use this method every 6 months or so and when the device is new. Had ATT Passport almost 2 years and use it all day, every day. Battery life has always been excellent.

I know this subject is debatable. But I have never seen any definitive test data about it.
    You just need to google Lithium ion battery best charging practice there is plenty of research available which suggests that the method you use and recommend is in fact not good for the battery.

Here is a link you may find interesting but it by no means the only page on the internet which agrees that full discharge to full charge cycles are not good for this chemistry:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    kbalaz, dmlis and Tim-ANC like this.
    01-29-17 04:07 AM
    You just need to google Lithium ion battery best charging practice there is plenty of research available which suggests that the method you use and recommend is in fact not good for the battery.

Here is a link you may find interesting but it by no means the only page on the internet which agrees that full discharge to full charge cycles are not good for this chemistry:

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

Good stuff. Pasting some of it because its worth knowing. Passport battery is a lith ion polymer. I have made the error of charging below freezing.

From the article:

Charging lithium-ion batteries is simpler than nickel-based systems. The charge circuit is straight forward; voltage and current limitations are easier to accommodate than analyzing complex voltage signatures, which change as the battery ages. The charge process can be intermittent, and Li-ion does not need saturation as is the case with lead acid. This offers a major advantage for renewable energy storage such as a solar panel and wind turbine, which cannot always fully charge the battery. The absence of trickle charge further simplifies the charger. Equalizing charger, as is required with lead acid, is not necessary with Li-ion.

Consumer and most industrial Li-ion chargers charge the battery fully. They do not offer adjustable end-of-charge voltages that would prolong the service life of Li-ion by lowering the end charge voltage and accepting a shorter runtime. Device manufacturers fear that such an option would complicate the charger. Exceptions are electric vehicles and satellites that avoid full charge to achieve long service life.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

• Turn off the device or disconnect the load on charge to allow the current to drop unhindered during saturation. A parasitic load confuses the charger.
    • Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge at freezing temperature. (See BU-410: Charging at High and Low Temperatures)
    • Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.
    • Not all chargers apply a full topping charge and the battery may not be fully charged when the “ready” signal appears; a 100 percent charge on a fuel gauge may be a lie.
    • Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.
    • Apply some charge to an empty battery before storing (40–50 percent SoC is ideal). (See BU-702: How to Store Batteries.)
    m3ach and kbalaz like this.
    01-29-17 05:43 AM
    Clearly it is not always practical to follow the charging method every time, as long as you can stick to it more often than not, you should be able to extend the battery life beyond what would normally be expected.

Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-29-17 09:35 AM

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

This is the link that I have also read a few years ago. Very good article
    m3ach and Tim-ANC like this.
    01-29-17 09:40 AM
    Hmm....thought that's what I said in a different language....... like English.

Posted via CB10
    I understood....... Just sounded like others didn't based on responses.
    01-29-17 10:44 AM
    If you find a way, let us know!
    01-29-17 10:58 AM
    Clearly it is not always practical to follow the charging method every time, as long as you can stick to it more often than not, you should be able to extend the battery life beyond what would normally be expected.

Bit about charging while device is off is not going to happen regarding my laptop. On it 10-12 hours a day. I suppose the spare battery with charge pod is the way to do it. Had one of those for my Z10. Not so with Passport.
    m3ach likes this.
    01-29-17 12:25 PM
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    The upside to talking out your *** is if you do it in front of the right people, you learn something.

Seriously, I was with ya,
    01-29-17 12:29 PM
    Assuming that leaving the device connected to wall charger when it is fully charged is harmful for battery life, I bought a programmable timer that disconnects electricity automatically.

I programmed the timer to let charging the device for only 2 hours overnight. Thus, the device won't be charged more than 2 hours a day.

I hope that helps the battery life.

Does anyone know how (or if it is possible) to improve the health of your device's battery?-img_20170129_221336.jpg

 BB10 can't die. It is healthy and young!
    Tim-ANC and m3ach like this.
    01-29-17 12:44 PM
    Assuming that leaving the device connected to wall charger when it is fully charged is harmful for battery life, I bought a programmable timer that disconnects electricity automatically.

I programmed the timer to let charging the device for only 2 hours overnight. Thus, the device won't be charged more than 2 hours a day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170129_221336.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	416660

This sounds like a good way to ensure the battery gets the correct charge, you could reduce the time so it only charges to an approximete level of say 90%.

A great tip thanks.

Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-29-17 02:13 PM

Great idea dude, but those euro slide switch programmers are chappy. Watch it and make sure it clocks current time correctly.
    01-29-17 02:29 PM
  25. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170129_221336.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	416660

nice way, I always do it,but morning or afternoon. but for night I don't do it

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2206
    01-29-17 11:29 PM
47 12