Seems like Sailfish OS is a BB 10.4

If without jokes, SailfishOS looks like what future of BlackBerry 10 should be.

What do You think?
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    12-07-16 07:09 AM
    I've been waiting to try Sailfish properly for a couple of years now. I have a device with it already preloaded (I forget the name) but it doesn't have NA radios or antennas. I did enjoy mucking around with it though, it seems to be a very smooth, BB10-esq experience and Google services should be regularly updated through a stand-alone app.

The question I have is can it be installed on a Windows Phone device or is it just Android?
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-07-16 07:23 AM
    Future or Past? Not very impressive specs on that phone.

Sadly Sailfish has ran into many of the same problems that BB10 did, Takes too long to get to market, and lack of developer support. Coupled with they basically exist on 3rd party funding to keep them going.

But very interesting and different.... gesture based OS.
    12-07-16 07:24 AM
    The video makes me dizzy. Grrr......
    12-07-16 07:33 AM
    Sailfish can't get traction fast enough.
    12-07-16 08:07 AM
    Bring it to Russia. Much better support there.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/joll...cation-732850/
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-07-16 08:15 AM
    Bring it to Russia. Much better support there.
    Android competitor Sailfish becomes official OS of Russian Government
    I'll match your NIAP with USSRIAP, comrade.
    johnny_bravo72 and Kot Prada like this.
    12-07-16 09:37 AM
    That is a true statement, taken literally.
    12-07-16 09:38 AM
    IMHO, Sailfish (I am waiting on them) should forget making phones, license the OS, and concentrate on making easy portable routines to install Sailfish on other phones.
    ominaxe likes this.
    12-07-16 10:26 AM
    IMHO, Sailfish (I am waiting on them) should forget making phones, license the OS, and concentrate on making easy portable routines to install Sailfish on other phones.
    Yeah, they need to offer an option to install this on any android device... I would love to use that Os.. it's awesome it's just like powerful but I guess not as secure as BB10

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 11:45 AM
    Sailfish can't get traction, period.
    12-07-16 04:53 PM
    Sailfish OS can't get traction because Jolla is the only company in the smartphone business that does not absolutely care about building an app ecosystem. It's been 3 years now that they haven't done anything to finally add support for paid apps in their store. No paid apps = no serious developers interested, only a small group of geeks developing for fun.

It is amazing that they choose to rely so much on Android apps and don't do anything to stimulate the growth of their own native app ecosystem while their Android 4.1 runtime gets older and older, and won't ever get upgraded to any newer Android version for the same reasons as on BB10, so sooner or later it will reach its EOL.

I've ported all my apps to Sailfish OS already in early 2013. It's been nearly 4 years since then and there's still no place to sell them so they still catch dust on my hard disk. Users' request to add support for paid apps has been the 5th or 6th (out of tens of thousands) most voted for request on together.jolla.com for several years but Jolla doesn't even bother to comment on it.

They complain all the time about limited funds and financial difficulties but they don't even think about adding support for paid apps to their store so that every app sale would be bringing them 30% commission, so majority of Sailfish OS users spend their money in Google Play store instead.

AMAZING.
    rimshot 1 and arif b santoso like this.
    12-07-16 04:59 PM
    while their Android 4.1 runtime gets older and older
    Is it not 4.4?
    12-07-16 05:07 PM
    Is it not 4.4?
    Last time I bothered to check it on my "classic" Jolla phone (in mid 2016 or so) it was still 4.1.2 (API level 16). Even if they upgraded it since then to Kitkat (which is probably the farthest they can go), I'm afraid it won't change much in terms of longevity...
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 12-07-16 at 05:37 PM.
    12-07-16 05:25 PM
    I'm half thinking of buying an Alcatel, ZTE or some other cheap Android device and loading Sailfish. Say what you want about updates and such but the OS is smooth as silk and a joy to use.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    12-07-16 06:14 PM
    Say what you want about updates and such but the OS is smooth as silk and a joy to use.
    I've never said a single bad word about the OS. It is really good.

What I wrote about Jolla's lack of support for developers is actually in a GOOD PURPOSE, as either they finally understand it and start doing just about anything in this regard, or the OS will never start playing any important role with its aging (and most probably not updateable to anything beyond 4.4) Android runtime and literally a handful of native applications. 200 or so native apps in 4 years is a DISASTER (there were more submissions than that within just a few weeks to BlackBerry's Developer Hero contest), but how can it be any different if since 2013 people like me have been forced to keep all their apps (15-16 in case of me alone) unreleased due to no place to offer them. Porting apps from Symbian or MeeGo or any other Qt platform to Jolla takes HOURS (not weeks, not days, just hours) so there were thousands of former Nokia developers who were more than interested in rapidly porting all their apps to Sailfish OS after Nokia went belly up (which would have resulted in tens of thousands of Sailfish OS apps already in 2013/2014) but it's late 2016 now and Jolla still hasn't shown ANY interest in providing developers with ANY possibilities to distribute their apps, so majority of developers just gave up. It is completely beyond me why they so stubbornly refuse to allow paid apps, which not only would attract developers but also give Jolla money charged on every app sold.

I'm dying to make all my apps available for Sailfish OS if they only ever make it possible (and if I live that long, as I am not a turtle).
    Fool Guy and stlabrat like this.
    12-07-16 06:49 PM
    I've never said a single bad word about the OS. It is really good.

What I wrote about Jolla's lack of support for developers is actually in a GOOD PURPOSE, as either they finally understand it and start doing just about anything in this regard, or the OS will never start playing any important role with its aging (and most probably not updateable to anything beyond 4.4) Android runtime and literally a handful of native applications. 200 or so native apps in 4 years is a DISASTER (there were more submissions than that within just a few weeks to BlackBerry's Developer Hero contest), but how can it be any different if since 2013 people like me have been forced to keep all their apps (15-16 in case of me alone) unreleased due to no place to offer them. Porting apps from Symbian or MeeGo or any other Qt platform to Jolla takes HOURS (not weeks, not days, just hours) so there were thousands of former Nokia developers who were more than interested in rapidly porting all their apps to Sailfish OS after Nokia went belly up (which would have resulted in tens of thousands of Sailfish OS apps already in 2013/2014) but it's late 2016 now and Jolla still hasn't shown ANY interest in providing developers with ANY possibilities to distribute their apps, so majority of developers just gave up. It is completely beyond me why they so stubbornly refuse to allow paid apps, which not only would attract developers but also give Jolla money charged on every app sold.

I'm dying to make all my apps available for Sailfish OS if they only ever make it possible (and if I live that long, as I am not a turtle).
    Um, my comment wasn't directed at you but was simply a post about my own personal experience.
    12-07-16 06:53 PM
    I'm half thinking of buying an Alcatel, ZTE or some other cheap Android device and loading Sailfish. Say what you want about updates and such but the OS is smooth as silk and a joy to use.

Sailfish runs quite nicely on the Nexus 4 (XDA thread), so that device, or any compatible newer device, should be fine. Here's a link to a table outlining 3rd party device functionality.

The android runtime is KitKat (well, CyanogenMod 11). The community runtime port (sfdroid) can be installed on at least some third-party devices (it works on the Nexus 4), but unlike the official Jolla devices, sfdroid provides "android in a Window." Rather than having icon-shortcuts to android apps that run seamlessly in the Sailfish UI, you get an entirely separate Android desktop running in a Sailfish window. It goes fullscreen when you have it open, but it's kind of clunky, and the experience is more like running a completely separate OS in a virtual machine.
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    12-07-16 07:36 PM
    you mean "negative"x"negative" = "positive"? imaginary coordinate not work very well in real world IMHO.
    12-07-16 07:40 PM
    It would be nice if you could get a sailfish phone or even an ubuntu phone with north American 4g bands but that doesn't appear to be out there at this point.
    12-07-16 11:38 PM
    Um, my comment wasn't directed at you but was simply a post about my own personal experience.
    Sometimes it's not apparent who one replies to if there's no quote. Anyway, my answer was just to emphasize some things which I consider as important for the future of this platform.

you mean "negative"x"negative" = "positive"? imaginary coordinate not work very well in real world IMHO.
    Again, I don't know if it is directed to me or not. If so, then please try to understand what a 'constructive criticism" means. This FANTASTIC OS is suffering so badly from the total lack of native apps, which is caused directly by no support for paid apps in the Jolla store making it unprofitable for developers to start supporting this system. It is the VERY reason why after almost 4 years it has some 200 apps or so, which just couldn't be worse. No matter if the Android runtime is 4.1 or 4.4, its remaining life time is limited and it won't get officially updated to 5.x or beyond, so one day the platform will have neither support for new Android apps nor its own native apps.

It's the high time to start talking about it and make Jolla finally hear it. Serious developers will never come to Sailfish OS if they cannot monetize their apps.

It ISN'T to bash the OS or Jolla, it is to show what urgently needs to change FOR THE GOOD of this platform.
    12-07-16 11:44 PM
    Sometimes it's not apparent who one replies to if there's no quote. Anyway, my answer was just to emphasize some things which I consider as important for the future of this platform.
    it is my bad. I am address to the OP regarding BB10.4. Sailfish and BB10 both suffer from the lack of native app and support, common short coming as painful as both. how to address the native app issue has been long standing for both OS. - lesson learned: you do need eco system, either like good sdk and language, that embedded some smarts like swift, automatically adjust the size of the screen (from iphone to ipad, with capable of rotate or not for example... look up table to enhance the performance for common task for another to speed up and safe memory, rather than bad code that might potentially slow or hang system... and yes, get some guru to teach it at university stanford and put on youtube as free - , so you build eco system that alive and well for generations), or like google for free OS and let Darwinist to root out the survive of the fittest... It would take more time to root out the best if the best is not get killed by some external force (fittest may not be the best technically, how many bleeding edge tech got killed because it is way ahead of its time?). I am sure you know the microsoft determined in way back to cover all the application with good enough for business/consumer... it just not enough excellent programmer at the time to do the superior job in the short time spend. Look like un-structured (no apple or google type of support) love of both OS struggles to survive... I feel your pain - got scar to show for it too... how to make it better when company support moved away? when the hardware with embedded system required more official partners and vertical alignment, good platform needed more than love... which is not you and me can provide... (at least not me. sad).
    12-08-16 08:03 AM
    The question I have is can it be installed on a Windows Phone device or is it just Android?
    There are some rumors, that Nokia's new devices could be released with it along Android.
    12-08-16 08:27 AM
    it is my bad. I am address to the OP regarding BB10.4. Sailfish and BB10 both suffer from the lack of native app and support, common short coming as painful as both.
    It's not painful for me at all. I use appstore on smartphones 2-3 times only after buying, loading a few needed apps... that's all! Why do people bother that hard about apps?! I need a good powerful device with smooth productive OS. Not apps!

Still Sailfish OS reminds me BB10 almost at every aspect. And I hope, that we will see more and more such systems, since presented only iOS and Android on market is a disaster. The only possible choice for me at the moment is Windows 10.
    12-08-16 08:38 AM
    It would be nice if you could get a sailfish phone or even an ubuntu phone with north American 4g bands but that doesn't appear to be out there at this point.

Well, if you're willing to install ROMs, the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 are easy to root and unlock the bootloaders, and work with both Sailfish and Ubuntu. As configured, the N4 has 3G (with our fake North American 4G) while the N5 has LTE. Apparently, the N4 has LTE band 4 capability, but there's some hacking required to activate it. My 3G service is fine, so I haven't bothered to try.

Source: Nexus 4 Includes Support for LTE on Band 4 (AWS)
    12-08-16 08:49 AM
79 123 ...