Hello
    I am desperate to get a smartphone which doesn’t give me pains. I am suffering from kind of unexplainable electro-sensitiveness. The DAS amount doesn’t seem to matter in my case, conversely to the majority of people suffering of electro-sensitiveness. I don't get head aches and serious symptoms like that, fortunately. (for the moment!)
    Otherwise I would never plan to use a BB phone! the DAS being very high, as for the Iphones. Most of electro-sensitive people flee BB and Iphones!
    The thing, in my case, is that when I touch any smartphone, and even some tablets, it triggers unbearable pains within minutes. The pains last several days. I had to stop then. No choice. I know that it can sounds weird but that’s it.
    in my view, it comes from A +B
    A = the sensitiveness of my nerves.
    B = the electro magnetic fields, which are generated by either the touchscreen, or-and by the numerous antennas (WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC sometimes!) that we all hold in hour hands, guys, when using a smartphone!

So, I recently had the idea of getting a non-touchscreen phone : I thought about BlackBerry, then.
    I thought that a Bold 9870 could be a good idea, even though I am not sure of nothing. Not sure that the Bold 9780 won’t give me pains, but I woudl like to try. I did purchase a brand new one and I’m now waiting for the delivery.

I would like to ask several questions to you:

Will I be able to run Skype, for ex., and other basic nice apps despite of the old OS version, which is 5 or may be 6.

What nasty limitations will I experiment for sure?

Is it possible to upgrade the Bold 9780 system, from 5 to 6, if necessary? We are in December 2016!

I have seen the BB Classic in a store one hour ago: for me it is disappointing, because much too big in my hand. The keyboard didn’t drive me crazy too. But I believe that the Bold 9780 is smaller.I read nice reviews.
    It is clearly far much better to use a phone with a touchscreen nowadays, of course, but it is forbidden for me as I explained above.

My goal is not too ambitious: If possible, I would like to use a not too big phone...
    - Allowing me to occasionally surf on the Internet via WIFI (OK the screen will be small, I know)
    - With a good sound in conversation
    - May be some basic good apps.
    - To send -receive emails. Gmail and others.
    - Have a camera in my pocket, which is much more convenient than to have to get my camera with me. It is too big, fragile and expensive. Even though it is a Sony RX 100 one, it is not useful at all, then most of the time I don’t have the camera with me.

I have never used a BB phone but I know very well computers, and other brands of Phones.

Your advice and ideas will be welcome!
    Thanks!

(English not being my native language, I hope I didn't make too many mistakes writing)
    Last edited by gottogetout; 12-03-16 at 03:35 PM.
    12-03-16 02:24 PM
    I don't know if this will be of any help but you will be very limited on a device that old in terms of apps, i had that phone in the past and it was awesome, but perhaps you are expecting too much from it. My best recomendation would be if you are having that many health problems with using touch screen smarphones is get a dumbphone and relegate advanced tasks like internet surfing or skype to your home pc. It will surprise you how much productive you become without the constant distraction of a smartphone, i have used a dumbphone 1 week a month for the past 2 months and plan on expanding the use of it. Perhaps you should try it.
    Mr Byte likes this.
    12-03-16 03:44 PM
    OK
    Thanks for the answer
    What you say is clever. I already use a PC at home. I already have a phone only for callings.
    It is actually a very good one, but also very old. the end is coming. A Sony Ericson w810i, impossible to replace, not anymore available. Extreme good sound in conversation. An excellent tool.
    Am I expecting too much about that BB? I don’t think so.
    But if I am too disappointed I will send it back to the seller. It is possible
    I am not looking for a powerful smartphone, of course. I just would be happy to be able to access to Internet occasionally when looking for information outside, or on holiday. A phone number, a direction… It could help, except if it deadly lags, and if the browser doesn’t work at all.

is there someone using a BB 9780 now ? Then he would be able to tell me.

one simple thing : I am constantly doing errors writing SMS on my phone. too small screen. there's also the problem of the camera.
    Of course I know that a BB from 2010 and a recent smartphone are not comparable.
    A simple photo camera could help me also in many opportunities. Not in order to do “good” pictures, of course. In order to take kind of visual notes.
    May be it is a false good idea. I like good quality devices. The simple phones available now are very very cheap quality.
    I am a little tired of my old phone too, and then I was thinking in getting a new tool.
    May be I am wrong and will be disappointed. OK.

I have been addicted ton Iphone 6 years ago. very addictive. completely addictive. So I know what you're talking about .
    I am completely immunized against that.
    I got that electro-sensitiveness with that damn Iphone 3gs
    one day my PC was out of order, then I used the Iphone for hours, for several days. In the end I had that pains and now I am done.

when I see people everywhere staring at their phone, walking, eating, talking loud I think that we are living among insane people. it is not normal.
    12-03-16 06:18 PM
    Hello
    I am desperate to get a smartphone which doesn�t give me pains. I am suffering from kind of unexplainable electro-sensitiveness. The DAS amount doesn�t seem to matter in my case, conversely to the majority of people suffering of electro-sensitiveness. I don't get head aches and serious symptoms like that, fortunately. (for the moment!)
    Otherwise I would never plan to use a BB phone! the DAS being very high, as for the Iphones. Most of electro-sensitive people flee BB and Iphones!
    The thing, in my case, is that when I touch any smartphone, and even some tablets, it triggers unbearable pains within minutes. The pains last several days. I had to stop then. No choice. I know that it can sounds weird but that�s it.
    in my view, it comes from A +B
    A = the sensitiveness of my nerves.
    B = the electro magnetic fields, which are generated by either the touchscreen, or-and by the numerous antennas (WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC sometimes!) that we all hold in hour hands, guys, when using a smartphone!

So, I recently had the idea of getting a non-touchscreen phone : I thought about BlackBerry, then.
    I thought that a Bold 9870 could be a good idea, even though I am not sure of nothing. Not sure that the Bold 9780 won�t give me pains, but I woudl like to try. I did purchase a brand new one and I�m now waiting for the delivery.

I would like to ask several questions to you:

Will I be able to run Skype, for ex., and other basic nice apps despite of the old OS version, which is 5 or may be 6.

What nasty limitations will I experiment for sure?

Is it possible to upgrade the Bold 9780 system, from 5 to 6, if necessary? We are in December 2016!

I have seen the BB Classic in a store one hour ago: for me it is disappointing, because much too big in my hand. The keyboard didn�t drive me crazy too. But I believe that the Bold 9780 is smaller.I read nice reviews.
    It is clearly far much better to use a phone with a touchscreen nowadays, of course, but it is forbidden for me as I explained above.

My goal is not too ambitious: If possible, I would like to use a not too big phone...
    -Allowing me to occasionally surf on the Internet via WIFI (OK the screen will be small, I know)
    -With a good sound in conversation
    -May be some basic good apps.
    - To send -receive emails. Gmail and others.
    -Have a camera in my pocket, which is much more convenient than to have to get my camera with me. It is too big, fragile and expensive. Even though it is a Sony RX 100 one, it is not useful at all, then most of the time I don�t have the camera with me.

I have never used a BB phone but I know very well computers, and other brands of Phones.

Your advice and ideas will be welcome!
    Thanks!

(English not being my native language, I hope I didn't make too many mistakes writing)
    You'll be able to email, text, call, browse, and BBM, if your carrier still has BlackBerry plans. If not, there are workarounds to get some things functioning. The in-built PIM, music, podcast, and youtube apps should also be fine.

Skype messaging used to be possible with the IM+ app, but hasn't worked for a couple of years. I believe that the 9780 runs OS 6, and if so, many of the apps in the working and dead apps thread stickied in the Bold 9900 forum should run. It's a good place to get a sense of what's possible.
    12-03-16 06:43 PM
    I see.
    thank you so much for the information
    Do you think that my idea - to use such a phone in 2017 - is a non sense and that I'd better change my mind?
    may be. I'm doubting now

LAST MINUTE :
    I have read again your detailed answer. extremely useful.
    I think I will test the phone and will see if it worth it, then.
    I was was thinking about sending it without opening the parcel, one hour ago.
    Last edited by gottogetout; 12-03-16 at 08:20 PM.
    12-03-16 06:52 PM
    I see.
    thank you so much for the information
    Do you think that my idea - to use such a phone in 2017 - is a non sense and that I'd better change my mind?
    may be. I'm doubting now
    Not at all. I have used my Bold 9900 as my only device without problems. The major drawbacks revolve around apps. If you need them, you won't like it. If you can live without constant access to them, you'll be fine.
    12-03-16 06:59 PM
    Good evening, (in Paris it is 10 PM)
    I think that I will probably send back the phone even without opening the parcel.
    It is too complicated. I have tested a little a "Classic", and I don't like either the keyboard nor the central button.
    It was not a clever purchase in my case, I think.
    I can't use a smartphone, that's all.
    Thanks a lot for your advice, you two

Pascal
    12-04-16 03:04 PM
    Good evening, (in Paris it is 10 PM)
    I think that I will probably send back the phone even without opening the parcel.
    It is too complicated. I have tested a little a "Classic", and I don't like either the keyboard nor the central button.
    It was not a clever purchase in my case, I think.
    I can't use a smartphone, that's all.
    Thanks a lot for your advice, you two

Pascal
    No problem. I hope you find a setup that works for you. Best of luck!
    12-04-16 08:22 PM
    Yup it is OS6. I used my white 9780 as late as a few months ago because I was getting a new ear speaker installed in my 9900. The browser is about half as fast as the 9900 but I could load web pages anywhere from 5-13 seconds. Varying of course. The Facebook app was faster. Twitter was slower but doable but prepare for the longest load times with Twitter.

The Autofocus camera in the 9780 is perfect! All you need is 5 Megapixels because the focus is so sharp. I did burn through 3 camera modules on mine so I definitely had a lemon, they just kept going bad.

The keyboard was just as form and stiff as in 2011 and more force is required to work it than the perfectly harmonized and balanced 9900's but still gratifying to use.

Whatsapp will not work now on OS6, supposedly.
    01-04-17 12:16 AM
    It's such a shame these devices will end.
    They are so easy and fine to use.
    And why does it has to cost so much money to have this BIS plan activated besides your cellular plan?
    01-17-17 08:30 AM
    It's such a shame these devices will end.
    They are so easy and fine to use.
    And why does it has to cost so much money to have this BIS plan activated besides your cellular plan?
    You in the US? I guess I should consider myself lucky that BIS is included with Rogers in Canada but I sure wish they would let us have 2 sim cards, switching has causes some issues in the past for me.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    02-09-17 04:11 PM
    I have been using the bold 9780 until a few months ago when I destroyed it. I did it because I was soo mad with the person that I was talking on the other side. Anyway I have to say that I miss that phone. For me whas the only reliable phone on the market. I was using the phone on the t-mobile network and the BIS plan was free of charge in that time, I dont know how it is now, but I guess is still free. Internet was ok, typing experience was amazing, superb call quality, extreme security and encryption and a great camera. The only thing that doesnt work are apps. I was not able to use and download the latest apps. Anyway it is a great phone with a great email capabilities. I totally recomend it if you are looking for a phone to call text and email.
    06-20-17 06:12 AM
    extreme security and encryption...
    What kind of security you are talking about? Because old BB are on the same level of security like new Android, etc.
    06-28-17 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD