I'm thinking of purchasing the Tmobile version of Curve because it has the wi-fi support. I'm a bit concerned that the speed will not be pronounced enough to warrant selling my existing ATT Curve. Has anybody used both, and can they tell me if there are appreciable differences in speed. I saw a test on one of the websites that even has Edge beating Wi-Fi in loading websites.
    12-09-07 06:53 PM
    In my experience it's not even close between EDGE and WiFi browsing. Even if you have full signal, the WiFi browsing is much, much faster.
    12-10-07 11:35 AM
    My suggestion would be to find a T-Mobile retail store that has HotSpot and go in for yourself and give it a test drive.
    12-10-07 12:02 PM
    Good idea!
    12-10-07 05:02 PM
    Wifi is not much difference from Edge. Yes, the Wifi is faster but not that much faster.
    12-10-07 05:36 PM
    wifi is faster only by a little bit. It's so funny how this phone boasts wifi compatibility but the phone itself cant even handle high wifi speeds.
    12-10-07 05:46 PM
    My suggestion would be to find a T-Mobile retail store that has HotSpot and go in for yourself and give it a test drive.
    This sounds like the best suggestion to me, you'll get a first-person account!

To answer your question:

I always use wi-fi when I'm at home because the browsing to me seems so much faster than EDGE. I used video streaming from blueapple.mobi to test and give myself an idea. I download video streams much faster with wi-fi. Now my favorite commercial of the old lady Redskins linebacker is but seconds away on my 'Berry.
    12-10-07 05:48 PM
    I'm on the WiFi bandwagon!!! It is soo much faster then EDGE!
    12-10-07 07:05 PM

See that I am on WiFi @home. Anywhere I going, I end up on EDGE/or Hotspots as depend on area/ location whichever I am around.
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 12-10-07 at 11:28 PM.
    12-10-07 11:26 PM
    I have a wifi connection at work and I tell you I notice the difference in speed,trust me its must faster and worth the investment

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-07 08:19 AM
    I have a wifi connection at work and I tell you I notice the difference in speed,trust me its must faster and worth the investment

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    But.... what can you do via Wifi? You can only browse the web via the default browser, right?

What other apps use your wifi connection?
    12-11-07 08:42 AM
    So far Ive only used the Wi-Fi a few times but I haven't seen a huge difference. The EDGE works really well!!
    12-12-07 09:40 PM
    I have both the edge and wifi at home. I prefer to use the wifi when ever possible just because it loads everything faster. But the edge network is pretty good.
    12-13-07 11:55 AM
    I know some people are saying that the WiFi isnt that much faster and I honestly cant say because dont have the WiFi i got GPS (waste) but I really cant believe it, sounds like EDGE fanboy talk. EVDO slamms EDGE hands down so how could WiFi be the same as EDGE? I dont get it. My brothers Pearl on VZW loads pages on average 5-10 seconds faster then my Curve if not FASTER. I mean his loads so quick sometimes its like he is on WiFi. Maybe its because he has OS 4.3 and they tweaked it or something, but I tell you his is so much faster I'm thinking of going back to VZW because EDGE is so slow for me its almost unusable. And its not just the Pearl vs my Curve, its also his Pearl vs my other brothers iPhone (on EDGE not WiFi, the iPhone screams in WiFi) And my old MotoQ (on EVDO) vs iPhone (EDGE) And this is EVERYWHERE we go. Not just "my area" Metro Boston, NYC, San Fran, Los Angeles, CT, RI, Florida etc. (we travel alot)

I would LOVE to have WiFi, I got GPS and regret it so after the holidays I will prob get an unlocked Curve and use that because like I said EDGE is not quick at all. Like I said I havent used the WiFi so i dont know first hand, but there is NO way it can be as bad as EDGE.
    12-13-07 12:19 PM
    Its simple,people who think edge is serviciable must not have had verizon,if they did they would know how slow edge is compared to verizon's evdo network,i switched to tmo because i really wanted a bb curve(after having a bb 8830WE)and a gsm phone,the wifi helps make up for edge's lack of speed and i willing to stick with tmo because they will be rolling out a faster network(hopefully)soon.
    12-14-07 12:55 PM
    Depends on a few things.

1) Your EDGE connection. If it's spotty, or inconsistent, then most definitely WiFi will be faster over EDGE.

2) In terms of the BlackBerry processing speeds, it will still render the downloaded data the same speed regardless of how fast it arrives. So for streamlined pages and assuming a good EDGE connection, you will not notice much difference between EDGE and WiFi. But for data-heavy pages, WiFi should provide a quicker load time. 8320 users please confirm this as I do not have WiFi on my 8310. However, previous experiences with WiFi on my HTC 8125 and Sony Clie were still slow, despite a strong connection as the machine itself was the bottleneck.

Again, 8320 users please confirm....
    12-14-07 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD