So let me start by saying I LOVE my Blackberry Passport Silver Edition I got only last week brand new, as do my friends and family, however a few of them are telling me that I should return it and get a different phone due to Blackberry's lack of updates/support in the near future.

So this has me wondering now if I should keep it or return it, I got it from Blackberry Canada for $394 and have the 30 days Return/Exchange so luckily I still have that option, the honest truth is I don't use apps except a few like YouTube, Google Maps and a few others, however Google Maps seems to be lagging very slow which is a concern for me and that forces me to use Blackberry Maps which is not very good at all.

Anyways I would really love if you guys could advise me what to do and what the scope might be for the very near future of Blackberry, I got away from Android because its so boring and wanted to try something new in which the Blackberry Passport specifically offers.

Thanks!!
    11-07-16 01:27 PM
    Priv could be the answer to all your troubles.
    11-07-16 01:34 PM
    I'm kinda in the same boat, except I have decided to keep it.

I've always have two phones on me, work (Passport) and personal (S5). For work, the Passport does exceptionally well for my needs. However, if you only carry one device, and you have needs for other apps, then the Passport might not be that suitable.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    11-07-16 01:41 PM
    From a certain perspective, it would be nice to other users of bb10 phones that Blackberry have to face some cost associated with their lack of updates and support of their devices right now. Please don't take me as bitter, I love my Classic and it does everything I need as is but their needs to be a reality check for BlackBerry as well. Just my opinion. If you like it and it does what you need, keep it but know that future support may be limited.

Posted via CB10
    ahhhlain likes this.
    11-07-16 01:50 PM
    The lack of Future support for Apps is one thing, but then I also think about the Support for BB10 in general, will they keep pushing updates or will they just drop all support and focus everything on Android leaving BB10 users in dust.
    11-07-16 01:59 PM
    I think your first mistake was listening to other people. That said as far as updates go BlackBerry has not been hacked as of yet and they are continuing to maintain the security level for government agencies if that's a concern. As far as apps go I have all that I need I do enjoy Google Maps though, Just find a version that runs smoother. I do use the blackberry maps quite often but for more complicated things I like NAVFREE in the BlackBerry World.

Not sure of your situation but when I moved to BlackBerry BB10 and not just that but to the Passport which I was totally new to physical keyboard's, I had trouble adjusting. So much that I sold it and got a Z30 and then back to the Passport. I just bought my second Passport as a backup device cause I can't and won't use any other phone. I find myself till this day still learning new tricks and tips that make my Passport all that much more interesting and efficient.

I can only speak from my own experience but if I had to tell you what to do I would be saying don't listen to those people and stay with the Passport. Just asked questions in this forum and you'll find all the answers to every issue you may have.

Good luck bud

Posted via CB10
    joseanmx, syclone1978 and ahhhlain like this.
    11-07-16 02:16 PM
    Depends on what kind of guy you are. I love reading documents for work and school on my passport. The difference in quality when reading between a passport and any other phone is humongous. The passport has helped me cut off from unnecessary social media junk. Fasttube works as a replacement for youtube. I've found most of what I need on it.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    11-07-16 02:58 PM
    As said above, it really depends on what you truly need.

I like using mine because I don't need to pull out the laptop to read documents. I can access all my onedrive files if needed.

One application I use is giving me grief (AirCanada) so I use the web.

Screen shots so you'll see what I use most:

To Keep or Not to Keep, That is the Question!-img_20161107_173401.png

To Keep or Not to Keep, That is the Question!-img_20161107_173407.png

Chris - Posted from my PP SE on CB10
    11-07-16 04:37 PM
    If it ain't broke...

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 04:46 PM
    That's a good price, I paid twice as much for mine; however we might like the passport there is no need to suffer, the big moment for me will be when whatsapp stops working, even if I've tried to steer my contacts to BBM. The difference for me is between a phone to produce media / get some work done with its great keyboard, or a device to consume media / futz around. This just came into stark focus as Apple decided to give their new macbook pros the same crappy keyboard as the macbook: fine if you consume media, terrible if you actually use it to produce stuff.

I would keep it if it works well natively, as opposed to hoping for the best with key apps. That said strangely enough my unpatched Uber app started kinda working better, I had given up and used the mobile version.
    11-07-16 05:39 PM
    What I miss after switching to an XPeria X Performance -
    The keyboard oh how I miss the keyboard.
    The large screen.
    The overall strange looks I'd get from people.
    The hub as it runs on a BB10 phone.
    The swipe interface.
    Desktop mode within the browser.
    And if you can believe it, the Maps app, which has led me wrong very few times compared to my new phone.

What I don't miss-
    Trying to fit my Passport in my small purse or worrying about it twisting while in my pocket.
    Lack of apps, or having to futz around to get apps to half work.
    Not having full integration with my fitbit Blaze and my Garmin vivofit.
    And I never thought my Passport was slow until I tried to use it after my Xperia. Kind of like trying to use an old computer after a new one.

Up to you OP. This is my experience. I wish I could have stayed but it kept getting progressively more difficult to do the things I like to do on my phone and I knew it would only get worse.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 06:28 PM
    Slab glass phones = Boring. Don't mean to offend anybody, but they all are boring. Everybody has one. They certainly make pragmatic sense but they all look alike.

Passport = Unique. Nothing else like it. Enough reason to keep it.

You decide how important apps that you don't use are to you. The Passport is a wide phone so portability may be an issue.

I use Google maps on BlackBerry10. Otherwise use maps.me from BlackBerry World with no data required to use it.

Fast tube and/or Super tube and/or Stereo Tube for YouTube. They work fantastic and you can keep YouTube going with the app minimized and the phone locked. I don't think other non BlackBerry phones can do that.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 06:51 PM
    So let me start by saying I LOVE my Blackberry Passport Silver Edition I got only last week brand new, as do my friends and family, however a few of them are telling me that I should return it and get a different phone due to Blackberry's lack of updates/support in the near future.

So this has me wondering now if I should keep it or return it, I got it from Blackberry Canada for $394 and have the 30 days Return/Exchange so luckily I still have that option, the honest truth is I don't use apps except a few like YouTube, Google Maps and a few others, however Google Maps seems to be lagging very slow which is a concern for me and that forces me to use Blackberry Maps which is not very good at all.

Anyways I would really love if you guys could advise me what to do and what the scope might be for the very near future of Blackberry, I got away from Android because its so boring and wanted to try something new in which the Blackberry Passport specifically offers.

Thanks!!
    There are other mapping options in BBW. You can check out Maps.me or Map for Heremap or Osmand. They may or may not suit your needs but for me, they do the job.
    11-07-16 07:21 PM
    I've had my OG Passport for over 1 year now and it does everything I need and more. If I can't find an app for it I use the website. I've tried a few Android slabs, the S6 and Z3, which are decent phones but they just don't come close to efficiency like my Passport. The Passport has amazing battery life, excellent stereo speakers, beautiful display, the keyboard, solid construction and BB10 is so much better than Android in almost every way, except app support.
    I am going to hang on to this PP till the end of BB10, best smartphone I have ever owned.

Posted via the amazing Passport
    11-08-16 12:34 AM
    When you love something, why would you let anyone else tell you otherwise?

I love the SE too by the way. I already have the normal passport and the Priv. The priv comes nowhere near.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 01:19 AM
    Guys I love my Passport too but I am right now thinking about the Priv for one reason: Google Hangout!

I have started using it on my other andoid phone (company phone) as a collaborative tool with my startup team so we need it. And I cannot find a working solution for my Passport.

No other reason to change my Passport: unique design, not cheap built quality and a stable OS.

If someone could help...

Thanks
    MT

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 07:37 AM
    Guys I love my Passport too but I am right now thinking about the Priv for one reason: Google Hangout!

I have started using it on my other andoid phone (company phone) as a collaborative tool with my startup team so we need it. And I cannot find a working solution for my Passport.

No other reason to change my Passport: unique design, not cheap built quality and a stable OS.

If someone could help...

Thanks
    MT

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you can ever get Google Hangouts to work properly on a BlackBerry 10 device. In addition, using Google Hangouts for professional collaboration for a start-up seems like the wrong choice of tool (unless you are on a paid company G-Suite).

Don't see much hope for you here.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 07:53 AM
    Yes we have bought Google for Business accounts. But also the free version was working good...

Anyway it is a pity that most of the Google tools are not working properly or not working at all. I guess that is a relevant weak point of BB10.

MT

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 08:52 AM
    Yes we have bought Google for Business accounts. But also the free version was working good...

Anyway it is a pity that most of the Google tools are not working properly or not working at all. I guess that is a relevant weak point of BB10.

MT

Posted via CB10
    It is a pity indeed. It is very unfortunate that Google has such a tremendous power over other mobile operating systems. They decide the future now... wish it was different.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 09:18 AM
    I am selling my LG G5 and am keeping my passport. Every app I had on the G5 I have on my passport (sure there were work arounds) but they work and I love all the pros of the passport that no other phone has as of yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 09:38 AM
    Hey guys, thank you so much for your input, so I have talked to a number of others and they told me that the lack of support of apps will most likely be more and more throughout the coming year, so I have officially decided to return it

I was super duper excited about this phone and this really sucks, I LOVE the keyboard and everything about it, but yea I am going to wait till early next year and see what Samsung has to offer and will most likely go for that
    11-13-16 06:26 AM
    Return, then buy one from amazon for 250!!! This phone is very nice and will be a pleasure to use as a" phone" for a while to come!

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    11-13-16 08:22 AM
    My 2 cents, just use the Web app for Google Maps (add a link to http://maps.google.com on your screen), no lags, works perfectly...
    11-13-16 09:06 AM
    Just install Google Maps and find a version that works best for you.

I'm using Google-maps-8.4.1

Instead of running for the hills why not give it a shot and use these forums for your recourse, rich of valuable info on anything you need

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 10:03 AM
    I can't imagine any reason to get rid of a Passport.

I absolutely love my AT&T BlackBerry Passport. I've loved every BlackBerry device I've owned, but once I gained comfort of the new form factor of the Passport, I can't imagine a different device.

I have 214 apps total and haven't found an app that's worth giving up the fluid UI of BB10 based on that app not working. Granted, I may have to use a different version of an app to work or patch it but non the less, love my AT&T BlackBerry Passport.

Although, it's a preference choice you'll need to make for what suits your needs. For me, it's phenomenal.

 BlackBerry Passport SQW100-3/10.3.2.2876 AT&T
    The_Passporter and Chatbox like this.
    11-13-16 11:00 AM
34 12