** I did post question on existing thread with no activity so trying here

I bought a BlackBerry Passport the other day and made the mistake of not signing in due to rushing and stupidity. The seller seems legit in his mistake of not turning of the BlackBerry Protect before wiping. After contacting him about not being able to sign in, I had the phone connected to wifi and he said he had removed it from his Protect account.

Now my two questions are:
    � Can he only effectively release the phone via the website by removing it before the phone is wiped?
    � If YES am I supposed to have my sim in when signing in or is wifi sufficient for the phone to connect to the Protect website to be released?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 07:12 PM
    If it is removed from his BlackBerry Protect online, then it is removed.

Reset your device and you should be good. You can connect via wifi or mobile.

One caveat is that he may have to remove the device again, because sometimes your device reactivates it before the wipe. If that happens, just reboot the device after he removes it again.

I would use the 10.3.2.2813 autoloader instead of a wipe. It's faster, and is the best OS for a pkb.
    10-06-16 08:07 PM
    If it is removed from his BlackBerry Protect online, then it is removed.

Reset your device and you should be good. You can connect via wifi or mobile.

One caveat is that he may have to remove the device again, because sometimes your device reactivates it before the wipe. If that happens, just reboot the device after he removes it again.

I would use the 10.3.2.2813 autoloader instead of a wipe. It's faster, and is the best OS for a pkb.
    He removed it from BlackBerry Protect after wiping it. I've rebooted it several times and I am still unable to sign in with my working ID. Should I suspect he is lying and it's not his? The Autoloader you speak of, I would still have to get past this sign in before trying that correct?

I am going to try and persuade him to meet me again and have him sign in and turn the BlackBerry Protect off but I have to wait till next week to meet again he said. Ugh!
    Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 08:21 PM
    He removed it from BlackBerry Protect after wiping it. I've rebooted it several times and I am still unable to sign in with my working ID. Should I suspect he is lying and it's not his? The Autoloader you speak of, I would still have to get past this sign in before trying that correct?

I am going to try and persuade him to meet me again and have him sign in and turn the BlackBerry Protect off but I have to wait till next week to meet again he said. Ugh!
    Posted via CB10
    Using an autoloader is the same as wiping as far as this is concerned.

Unless your Passport is on 10.3.3 (which will not allow BlackBerry Protect to be turned off), I suspect he may not be telling the truth.
    10-06-16 09:52 PM
    Ok so just to make sure and I don't waste my time, you are saying that I can bypass this protect sign in and use an auto loader to get it working? Sounds kinda like a sort of jailbreak or root of sorts. I thought that wasn't possible? I have done both before but not yet attempted an auto loader. If you give me a definite "YES" I will do it and figure out how.

Don't forget I am stuck at this point after a wipe.
    Attachment 409684

Again, Thank you for you help and patience.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 10-07-16 at 04:38 AM.
    10-07-16 03:52 AM
    Oh and if you have a link to share to help me spread my wings you can feel free

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 03:59 AM
    Ok so just to make sure and I don't waste my time, you are saying that I can bypass this protect sign in and use an auto loader to get it working? Sounds kinda like a sort of jailbreak or root of sorts. I thought that wasn't possible? I have done both before but not yet attempted an auto loader. If you give me a definite "YES" I will do it and figure out how.

Don't forget I am stuck at this point after a wipe.

Again, Thank you for you help and patience.

Posted via CB10
    No, absolutely not. An autoloader will not bypass. I said it behaved the SAME as wiping.
    10-07-16 07:25 AM
    No, absolutely not. An autoloader will not bypass. I said it behaved the SAME as wiping.
    Well if I can't get this guy to unlock it I have learned my lesson for shopping on kijiji and will be putting up the cash for a new Passport SE. Go big or go home. Just wish it didn't total this big$$ lol

Thanks Conite

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 10-07-16 at 03:35 PM.
    10-07-16 07:57 AM
    I bought a Q10 a few months ago with the same issue. The previous owner even deleted it in his BlackBerry Protect. He was in New Jersey and I am in Oklahoma ... so no way to meet. What he finally did is give me his BBID with a temporary password. This allowed me to log in to the phone and turn off BlackBerry Protect. After that was completed, he changed his BBID back to his previous password. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 07:23 AM
    I bought a Q10 a few months ago with the same issue. The previous owner even deleted it in his BlackBerry Protect. He was in New Jersey and I am in Oklahoma ... so no way to meet. What he finally did is give me his BBID with a temporary password. This allowed me to log in to the phone and turn off BlackBerry Protect. After that was completed, he changed his BBID back to his previous password. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    I proposed that option to him but he was not favoring the idea due to all his contacts being tied to the BlackBerry ID and not sure what else. Wasn't sure if that was true but if so I understand the concern.

Are the contacts on the phone tied to the BlackBerry ID?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 08:01 AM
    Yes they are but that does NOT stop you from doing what miker suggested. The BBID chan be changed back without screwing up the contact list. However it would not hurt to backup this list in other ways such as an app like Ultimate Backup or use GMail etc for a sync of contacts.
    10-10-16 08:26 AM
    Yes they are but that does NOT stop you from doing what miker suggested. The BBID chan be changed back without screwing up the contact list. However it would not hurt to backup this list in other ways such as an app like Ultimate Backup or use GMail etc for a sync of contacts.
    10-10-16 08:26 AM
    *silently joins thread*
    It will be good to quickly reference this information

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 10:03 AM

Unless your Passport is on 10.3.3 (which will not allow BlackBerry Protect to be turned off), I suspect he may not be telling the truth.
    Ok so I finally got this guy to meet me so I could have him enter his BlackBerry ID after many failed attempts by other means. For a recap this guy wiped the Passport before turning off the BlackBerry Protect. When I could not sign in he tried to turn it off via the BlackBerry Protect website. When that failed he removed the device from the account. He then said he removed the account all together and I still could not sign in.

So it appears that the Passport because it was wiped before turning off the BlackBerry Protect, it required input of the same BlackBerry ID that originally was associated with the phone. I connected the phone to my Hotspot for WIFI and and he signed in and went to Settings/ Security and Privacy/ BlackBerry Protect and turned it off.
    We then rewiped the phone and it was good to go.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    10-14-16 08:17 PM
    Question for you... did it at all show what the previous bbid was, that it was linked to?

I lost my Passport, so wiped it & marked it as lost/stolen in Protect before the battery died. Just curious if the previous bbid is shown in any way?
    10-14-16 09:14 PM
    Question for you... did it at all show what the previous bbid was, that it was linked to?

I lost my Passport, so wiped it & marked it as lost/stolen in Protect before the battery died. Just curious if the previous bbid is shown in any way?
    No it did not show anything from previous user.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-16 04:20 AM
    No it did not show anything from previous user.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! That's what I figured. It just told you the device was associated with another bbid and only that bbid could use the device?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-16 01:32 PM
    Thanks! That's what I figured. It just told you the device was associated with another bbid and only that bbid could use the device?

Posted via CB10
    Exactomundo!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-16 03:46 PM
    Which is a good enough emotional rollercoaster for would-be thieves, if you see what I mean

Posted via CB10
    10-16-16 01:40 AM