BlackBerry brand won?t go missing from smartphone market: COO | IT Business

'The move also doesn�t mean the death of BlackBerry 10, Pini says. BlackBerry is currently working towards its 10.3.3 release for existing devices and the OS could even see new life in the future.'

Things are just getting different, that's all. The article talks about improvements in advertising being possible this way, too. Whether we get another BB10 device will depend on the market.

At any rate, support for BB10 has NOT ended.
    10-01-16 12:34 PM
    At any rate, support for BB10 has NOT ended.
    Support hasnt....development has.
    10-01-16 12:39 PM
    People are going to be really unhappy when 10.3.3 hits. A security update, and it'll likely remove any trace of the still functioning Facebook integration with the Hub.

It is a bit odd however that BlackBerry would be pushing forward with this security certification. Those who don't need this level of security certification are already using the device, and those who do need it won't have any new BB10 devices to choose from.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt, m1kr0 and Q10Bold like this.
    10-01-16 01:00 PM
    I think the odds of BB10 coming back are as about as good a Global Warming helping scientists ... find Santa's workshop.

Sorry but the MARKET has spoken and it doesn't need or want BB10. All that is needed is for BlackBerry to sell the balance of this once again wrote off BB10 hardware ("During the second quarter of fiscal 2017, the Company recorded inventory write-down charges of $96 million, which were included in cost of sales.") Thus some hope is dangled....
    10-04-16 02:33 PM
    Even see a new life...with that, I believe he means giving OS to 3rd party

Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2888
    10-05-16 03:57 AM
    'See new life'

How does one even go about that? It doesn't make sense.
    Once an OS stops getting worked on, it begins to fall into oblivion. Years in technology go by fast and technology tends to move forward and evolve in a blink of an eye. Full time active development of BB10 has ended like how long ago? About a year to a year and a half? If they decide to - let's say 2 years from now - decide to pick up BB10 active development again, the OS would be even more behind the other ones than it already is (talking tech wise - not user interface, ease of use etc). There would be no way possible for them to catch up.

It's dead guys.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 04:20 AM
    I think the odds of BB10 coming back are as about as good a Global Warming helping scientists ... find Santa's workshop.

Sorry but the MARKET has spoken and it doesn't need or want BB10. All that is needed is for BlackBerry to sell the balance of this once again wrote off BB10 hardware ("During the second quarter of fiscal 2017, the Company recorded inventory write-down charges of $96 million, which were included in cost of sales.") Thus some hope is dangled....
    I disagree. I think there is still a small but strong demand... in the regulated enterprise space, and wherever companies want to pay for the best most secure devices. I personally know of several large organizations currently on BB10 that would gladly continue to buy more BB10 devices if they were available, and have yet to bring on any BlackBerry Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 07:52 AM
    I disagree. I think there is still a small but strong demand... in the regulated enterprise space, and wherever companies want to pay for the best most secure devices. I personally know of several large organizations currently on BB10 that would gladly continue to buy more BB10 devices if they were available, and have yet to bring on any BlackBerry Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    I agree there are many who those who did buy into the "new" BlackBerry, and might would continue to buy new BB10 phones..

But further development of BB10 with the Android runtime is probably not possible. And while I think some would still go for a Androidless BB10, maybe not if Chen charged what it would cost him to do it. Say there is only a market of about 1 million device sales a year (about where BB10 was headed for before the end was announced last summer). For special hardware drivers, for support by BlackBerry, for sales and distribution and for BB10 development.... do you think they could sell those for less than $1000 each? Could they compate against KNOX and BlackPhone?

I think Chen has already ran the numbers... which is why BB10 is being phased out.

If BB10 has a future... BlackBerry has sure gone out of their way to sabotage that future.
    10-05-16 09:20 AM
    I think there is still a small but strong demand... in the regulated enterprise space, and wherever companies want to pay for the best most secure devices.
    The issue is that small demand seems to be too small to be profitable.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 04:25 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The issue is that small demand seems to be too small to be profitable.
    That's the challenge going forward.. and with licensing... making it profitable... a win win... as the BBM deal with Indonesia... can be possible....

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 04:29 PM
    That's the challenge going forward.. and with licensing... making it profitable... a win win... as the BBM deal with Indonesia... can be possible....

Posted via CB10
    1) The deal in indonesia is for low-end consumer phones and 2) they might not have any special security to start with - John Chen said it's optional.

However that still doesn't get around the fact that the Indonesia partner is interested (like businesses and consumers) in ANDROID, nobody is interested in the BB10 or ever have been (at scale).

It's possible that someone out there is willing to spend hundreds of millions on an ecosystem, building up a development team etc.

It's also possible that Jennifer Anniston rings me, pleads with me to leave my wife and join her in Hollywood.

It's possible, it's just not very likely.
    10-05-16 04:32 PM
    You also have to remember the hardware that bb10 will run on. Its going to need lots of RAM and an old processor. How many manufactures will have an interest in trying to obtain any of the compatible parts. I am certain that the processors arent being made anymore and unless BB still has a stockpile of them, they wont be able to get them
    10-05-16 07:30 PM
    So can you make money selling new BB10 phones into that "small, but strong" market? There won't be any new BB10 devices until someone becomes convinced that this is possible, right?
    10-05-16 09:28 PM
    I agree there are many who those who did buy into the "new" BlackBerry, and might would continue to buy new BB10 phones..

But further development of BB10 with the Android runtime is probably not possible. And while I think some would still go for a Androidless BB10, maybe not if Chen charged what it would cost him to do it. Say there is only a market of about 1 million device sales a year (about where BB10 was headed for before the end was announced last summer). For special hardware drivers, for support by BlackBerry, for sales and distribution and for BB10 development.... do you think they could sell those for less than $1000 each? Could they compate against KNOX and BlackPhone?

I think Chen has already ran the numbers... which is why BB10 is being phased out.

If BB10 has a future... BlackBerry has sure gone out of their way to sabotage that future.
    Everybody sabotaged BB10 long before Chen got there, including BlackBerry (too late) and all the Big App makers. And yes perhaps the runtime isn't going anywhere at this point, but it sounds like there is third party interest in keeping BB10 alive. Not sure exactly how it would all play out or what the pricing model would be, but there is niche demand out there that some folks think they can tap. The commodification of hardware is the main reason BlackBerry can't maintain its prior business model, which has little to do with bb10 per se. If BlackBerry switched to making Android phones instead of bb10 phones 4 years ago, I think they'd still be in a similar position with hardware today. What is bb10 worth in its own, and how can it be leveraged so that it brings in more $ than it costs? Not sure, but I think Chen is correct to start looking at splitting it from the existing devices and letting third parties figure out how to make money on it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 10-05-16 at 09:54 PM.
    10-05-16 09:39 PM
    You also have to remember the hardware that bb10 will run on. Its going to need lots of RAM and an old processor. How many manufactures will have an interest in trying to obtain any of the compatible parts. I am certain that the processors arent being made anymore and unless BB still has a stockpile of them, they wont be able to get them
    Can you explain this to me, I don't understand. Why do they need a specific processor, isn't that easily changed so long as it is the same architecture?

Support for BB10 is good news for anyone who still wants to use it, like me, even if it just means security / bug patches and browser updates.
    acovey likes this.
    10-05-16 10:08 PM
    Can you explain this to me, I don't understand. Why do they need a specific processor, isn't that easily changed so long as it is the same architecture?

Support for BB10 is good news for anyone who still wants to use it, like me, even if it just means security / bug patches and browser updates.
    the QNX architecture requires that drivers for all the hardware be written. Qualcomm, who wrote these drivers for their processor back when bb10 was created, refused to write them again for the newer processors for the money BB could spend. Chen said it was way to expensive to pursue. So that is a huge reason why bb10 development stopped long ago cause it pretty much is a dead end unless someone wants to spend tons of cash knowing you wont get hardly what you need back from pitiful phone sales.
    10-05-16 10:21 PM
    Interesting, thanks!
    10-06-16 01:10 AM
    1) The deal in indonesia is for low-end consumer phones and 2) they might not have any special security to start with - John Chen said it's optional.

However that still doesn't get around the fact that the Indonesia partner is interested (like businesses and consumers) in ANDROID, nobody is interested in the BB10 or ever have been (at scale).

It's possible that someone out there is willing to spend hundreds of millions on an ecosystem, building up a development team etc.

It's also possible that Jennifer Anniston rings me, pleads with me to leave my wife and join her in Hollywood.

It's possible, it's just not very likely.
    John Chen specifically mentioned that the Indonesian venture is for an Android phone... I have the transcript open in front of me. I don't know how this current CB delusion that it'll be a BB10 phone has gained traction. It's just more unicorn chasing.

The Indonesian phone will be Android, and may have a PKB if the various teasers from BB execs carry weight. It will carry the BB logo (under licence) but will not be designed, built, or supported by BB. John Chen said that too... but I fear his words were drowned by the thunder of unicorn hooves...

Oh, Jennifer says "Hi"....
    10-06-16 07:30 AM
    And yes perhaps the runtime isn't going anywhere at this point, but it sounds like there is third party interest in keeping BB10 alive.

How deeply embedded is the run-time in BB10? Given than virtually all partners would have to sell a version with it stripped out.
    10-06-16 08:15 AM
    Everybody sabotaged BB10 long before Chen got there, including BlackBerry (too late) and all the Big App makers. And yes perhaps the runtime isn't going anywhere at this point, but it sounds like there is third party interest in keeping BB10 alive. Not sure exactly how it would all play out or what the pricing model would be, but there is niche demand out there that some folks think they can tap. The commodification of hardware is the main reason BlackBerry can't maintain its prior business model, which has little to do with bb10 per se. If BlackBerry switched to making Android phones instead of bb10 phones 4 years ago, I think they'd still be in a similar position with hardware today. What is bb10 worth in its own, and how can it be leveraged so that it brings in more $ than it costs? Not sure, but I think Chen is correct to start looking at splitting it from the existing devices and letting third parties figure out how to make money on it.

Posted via CB10
    We continue to support the BlackBerry 10 operating system; some companies are interested in licensing it for handsets. If it's a solid business model going forward, we'll work with a 3rd manufacturer. But we're not close enough to say we're going to do that.
    BlackBerry has been looking for someone to use BB10, befroe it was even launched. I would not get my hopes up that someone is really going to pick up the "torch" and try to do what BlackBerry could not. Just don't think a small market can support QNX built BB10 - develpment and hardware drivers would make it much too costly. And all the while iOS and Android are becoming much more secure and under consideration.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-06-16 08:34 AM
    BlackBerry has been looking for someone to use BB10, befroe it was even launched. I would not get my hopes up that someone is really going to pick up the "torch" and try to do what BlackBerry could not. Just don't think a small market can support QNX built BB10 - develpment and hardware drivers would make it much too costly. And all the while iOS and Android are becoming much more secure and under consideration.
    We'll see where it goes I guess.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 07:01 PM
    We'll see where it goes I guess.
    Now that BlackBerry is "out" of hardware, they can rehire software developers to start BB10 OS development again!

Don't say anything. I fell asleep at my keyboard and posted that while dreaming. I'm guilty, and I'm seeking help.
    10-07-16 07:50 PM
    I see a lot of wishful thinking in this discussion. No one, not BlackBerry nor third party is going to be interested in a dead OS such as bb10. Even the primary market targeted by BlackBerry, ie. those in corporate or government that still manage to hold on to their BlackBerry true devices, will have no choice but abandon the os sooner or later. Applications that they rely on for business are being phased out of bb10, if they haven't already and assuming they existed in the first place. There is no more Microsoft Lync (or Skype for business as it is now called) and Cisco is pulling support as well... hell, even BlackBerry pulled out of the conferencing support on the platform. Pretty soon you'll be left with a device that doesn't have any real application support left that would be needed for corporate, no matter how much you wish it. It's also an os with no updates, patches, etc.

BlackBerry left all of us, the regular Joe users dangling, but more importantly to their image, they left the businesses and governments that bought into BlackBerry out to dry.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    10-13-16 11:17 PM
    the QNX architecture requires that drivers for all the hardware be written. Qualcomm, who wrote these drivers for their processor back when bb10 was created, refused to write them again for the newer processors for the money BB could spend. Chen said it was way to expensive to pursue. So that is a huge reason why bb10 development stopped long ago cause it pretty much is a dead end unless someone wants to spend tons of cash knowing you wont get hardly what you need back from pitiful phone sales.
    What does that mean 'requires that drivers for all hardware be written'? Does technology not move forward in that area too?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    10-21-16 12:26 AM
    What does that mean 'requires that drivers for all hardware be written'? Does technology not move forward in that area too?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    it moves forward....when BB pays money which they will not do.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-21-16 09:50 AM
52 123