We all know what a ... the forums have been for the past month; its almost impossible to find anything practical and super easy to find the same "IS GPS UNLOCKED?" thread post 100 times by 100 different people.

I started up this wiki with basically two pages on it now, but i am hoping it will be embraced by us crackberry users and we can ALL contribute KNOWN facts to the site!

the URL is BlackBerry Storm Wiki: The BlackBerry Storm Wiki with all the information you want to know!

I have a ... of work and sorry i couldn't add heaps of content already, but thats the point of a wiki right? that everyone contributes. Hopefully some of our faves like CX can frequent it and post up the right info!
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-04-08 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Language, keep it family friendly
    12-04-08 04:36 PM
    cool. sweet job dude.
    12-04-08 04:38 PM
    i am curious if there is ANY WAY a mod can pin/ sticky this.. i think it would a great and valuable resource in addition to these forums!
    12-04-08 04:51 PM
    this would actually be a useful sticky...let's get some of these others removed please!
    12-04-08 05:04 PM
    What's wrong with Crackberry as a resource? It is the world's largest repository of BlackBerry information.
    12-04-08 05:09 PM
    I think this is a great idea. I will definitely share what knowledge I have to this wiki page
    12-04-08 05:16 PM
    What's wrong with Crackberry as a resource? It is the world's largest repository of BlackBerry information.
    NOTHING is wrong with crackberry. this site is the awesome shiznit, but recently the forums have become impossible to navigate with the crazy number of posts and reposts. like i mentioned this is in NO WAY supposed to replace crackberry or the forums but rather supplement it! We can has out all the arguments and points here and then post solid info on the wiki. It sounds like from your response you would not consider stickying this huh>?
    12-04-08 05:20 PM
    NOTHING is wrong with crackberry. this site is the awesome shiznit, but recently the forums have become impossible to navigate with the crazy number of posts and reposts. like i mentioned this is in NO WAY supposed to replace crackberry or the forums but rather supplement it! We can has out all the arguments and points here and then post solid info on the wiki. It sounds like from your response you would not consider stickying this huh>?
    I agree its so convoluted as of late.
    12-04-08 05:24 PM
    I'm gonna bookmark your wiki.
    12-04-08 05:26 PM
    I don't consider a Wiki as worthwhile stickying. My colleagues may disagree. I have no problem searching and navigating Crackberry. I can find whatever I am looking for. The hard information is here and is constantly updated in a way that a Wiki cannot do unless it has the same membership as here. I disagree with yo saying that you can have the arguments in here (well you can and do) but when it comes to putting just the facts into a Wiki, there it fals doem because you need the reasning behind the facts and since the BlackBerry environment is highly dynamic, some of the 'facts' change. There is also other information in Crackberry that you need such as the free software, my own CrackMem, for example.

Right now, CrackBerry is inundated with newbes who have just got new Storms. This is a very good thing for both Black and CrackBerry but, there are a lot of inexperienced BlackBerry users and indeed forum posters in here who are just posting duplicate threads often filled with totally wrong information. I am failrly sue that this will subside over then next few weeks. I therefore counsel that you stay in here where the real knowledge lies.

I am not condemning the Wiki, I just think you will do better in here, in fact, I am sure of it.
    12-04-08 05:31 PM
    I don't consider a Wiki as worthwhile stickying. My colleagues may disagree. I have no problem searching and navigating Crackberry. I can find whatever I am looking for. The hard information is here and is constantly updated in a way that a Wiki cannot do unless it has the same membership as here. I disagree with yo saying that you can have the arguments in here (well you can and do) but when it comes to putting just the facts into a Wiki, there it fals doem because you need the reasning behind the facts and since the BlackBerry environment is highly dynamic, some of the 'facts' change. There is also other information in Crackberry that you need such as the free software, my own CrackMem, for example.

Right now, CrackBerry is inundated with newbes who have just got new Storms. This is a very good thing for both Black and CrackBerry but, there are a lot of inexperienced BlackBerry users and indeed forum posters in here who are just posting duplicate threads often filled with totally wrong information. I am failrly sue that this will subside over then next few weeks. I therefore counsel that you stay in here where the real knowledge lies.

I am not condemning the Wiki, I just think you will do better in here, in fact, I am sure of it.

well of course you are entitled to your opinion but hopefully another mod who does see this as useful will stick it. I understand that you are trying to keep all the web traffic on cb because that means a bigger, more visited site and more $$$ but sometimes its worth supporting something outside of a community if it helps the community as a whole!
    12-04-08 05:51 PM
    well of course you are entitled to your opinion but hopefully another mod who does see this as useful will stick it. I understand that you are trying to keep all the web traffic on cb because that means a bigger, more visited site and more $$$ but sometimes its worth supporting something outside of a community if it helps the community as a whole!
    Dollars have nothing to do with it actually. We now have over 450 000 members so a few more or less make no difference. Certainly not to me since I am not paid for being a mod.

My opinion is based on the fact that with CrackBerry, BBF, PinStack, Howard forums, Berry review, BlackBerry (RIM) support forums, plus several other minor or specialized forums, why is one more site going to do anything other than clog up google searches with duplicate listings of the same data that can be found here.
    12-04-08 05:57 PM
    Dollars have nothing to do with it actually. We now have over 450 000 members so a few more or less make no difference. Certainly not to me since I am not paid for being a mod.

My opinion is based on the fact that with CrackBerry, BBF, PinStack, Howard forums, Berry review, BlackBerry (RIM) support forums, plus several other minor or specialized forums, why is one more site going to do anything other than clog up google searches with duplicate listings of the same data that can be found here.

reguardless of whether a person would come here or not or what is found in google is irrelevant. Google grabs so many pages from this site that 1 wiki page is like look at a ant from atop a tall building.

This guy reached and and went beyond by creating something that most people wouldn't bother putting any time into doing..

WIKI is a great resource for many things and to say its a bad idea (which your implying) is kind of rediculous..

for one you can put external links on it that have the for mentioned pages such as crackberry howardforums pin and so on..

I am not saying it should be stickied but on another note it just wasn't a bad idea.

just go to google and search site:crackberry.com I was going to tell you how many pages of links there was but I got to 70 pages or so and decided to quit finding out.

also on a side note a wiki does something that a set of forums will never do.

you go to it and the information is just laid out. Now whether it answers there questions or not they may learn something that they never even thought of asking.. Yes most the information is on the sites we frequent but its not in 1 page its in folders and folders of pages and buried in forums for searching.. a completely new user who may not even have good experience with a computer would take a look at crackberry and more then likely be confused on how to even start. I am not saying the site layout is bad but when you have people that are really into there things.. sometimes there is just to much information for someone just starting out.
    Last edited by noaim; 12-04-08 at 06:35 PM.
    12-04-08 06:25 PM
    Exactly!!!
    12-04-08 07:05 PM
    Exactly!!!
    i personally dont want to rumage through 27 pages of posts ( BELL software update) to find the correct link to download and upgrade my phone. a wiki in such case would be superior!
    Last edited by ddarvish; 12-05-08 at 01:07 PM.
    12-05-08 01:03 PM
    This one REALLY should be a sticky
    12-05-08 01:09 PM
    I also added the Bell firmware and how to update on the wiki
    12-05-08 04:35 PM
    is there a link to do from phone
    12-05-08 04:49 PM
    thanks for the comments and emails people have been sending. to the rest of you no thanks.. lol. but seriously make that site beefy!
    12-08-08 01:57 AM
    I think this is great... It forces the user to "search" for their answer... Instead of just asking the same question that has been ask before... In some cases a few post down a someone has posted a similar question. I just went through the "screenshot your storm thread" and I was amazed how many "how do I change the amount of rows" questions people posted. If they would've bothered to read the thread completely or atleast skim through it, they would've found their answer.
    12-08-08 02:07 AM
    I am willing to contribute and give it a try, we'll see how popular it becomes
    12-08-08 03:29 PM
    WOW! wham bam someone added lots of great info. part of the problem with the wiki was unless you were fully registered you couldnt create pages (my bad) and the prob was i never put a registration link!

anyhow its all good to go so you can add and edit without being registered and i added a link so that you can register and gain greater control over content of the site. of course you are welcome to PM or email me here if you want to get moderator status!@
    12-09-08 02:29 PM
    ...so you can add and edit without being registered and i added a link so that you can register and gain greater control over content of the site. of course you are welcome to PM or email me here if you want to get moderator status!@
    I commend the effort and idea, but...

That is where a WIKI fails...

You have no control of what is added, who adds it, or how accurate it is.

Example... -> BlackBerry Storm Wiki: Set up Gmail IMAP was added to the Wiki... It looks suspiciously like what I posted on Hofo for setting up Gmail via IMAP on v4.5 devices (except I didnt say anything about the delivery conf)

But its not accurate for the storm.

instead -> http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1186280 is accurate for the Storm.

The difference.. in step 5 on the Wiki says "leave the password blank"... if you do that on the Storm, it doesn't work. It just loops asking for email address and password. You have to fill in a bogus password on the storm to go by.

There are other subtle differences after step 5 as well that have an impact.

And following what is accurate for the Gmail IMAP setup on the storm, the Confirm Delivery = YES vs no does not have an impact for me (mine is set yet)
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 12-10-08 at 12:44 PM.
    12-10-08 12:27 PM
    This one REALLY should be a sticky
    I agree. As a new bb user myself i found things on there already that I wouldn't even have known to ask. I love it! If something gets put on that is inaccurate it will be changed I'm sure. Great idea!!
    12-10-08 12:35 PM
    great job and idea putting this together
    12-10-08 12:39 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD