I think the shift to Android overlaid with BlackBerry Hub is the right way to go. Being a minor player in the device / OS business makes no sense. The market seems to think it's the right way to go. I'll keep my two Passports for as long as I can. And then switch to a BlackBerry Android model when it inevitably arrives.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 06:18 AM
    What this thread have to do with BB10 OS ?

Posted via CB10
    melander likes this.
    09-29-16 06:22 AM
    It's more of a coping strategy (plan B) than anything else.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-29-16 06:58 AM
    There is no future for BlackBerry android. Actually those of us with BB10 devices are going to have the last laugh when a year and a half from now BBDroid users are waiting for security patches and updates that never materialize rendering their devices useless...while we continue to enjoy the benefits of an OS that was originally designed to be secure.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 08:00 AM
    I don't care. And I will stop buying Android-based BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 09:24 AM
    There is no future for BlackBerry android. Actually those of us with BB10 devices are going to have the last laugh when a year and a half from now BBDroid users are waiting for security patches and updates that never materialize rendering their devices useless...while we continue to enjoy the benefits of an OS that was originally designed to be secure.

Posted via CB10
    Disagree. What you really predict is the demise of BlackBerry. I've used their devices since 2003. BB10 will fade, slowly I hope, but not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-29-16 02:54 PM
    100% agree. There is no way bb can design/ make/ market devices, in a market with stiff competition, on their own.
    And the competition is only going to get cut throat. this desicion is in the best interest of the company.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 03:00 PM
    Going Android has not been a success so far that's why the handset division is shutting down. Maybe outsourcing could be more fruitful. This is perhaps missing the point as the overall strategy has been to save the company.
    09-29-16 06:16 PM
    Going Android has not been a success so far that's why the handset division is shutting down. Maybe outsourcing could be more fruitful. This is perhaps missing the point as the overall strategy has been to save the company.
    No, the handset division is shutting down because overall BlackBerry is and will remain a minor player there. There are so many handsets competing I suspect there is little profit in it anyway: as they say "excess profits breed ruinous competition". Which Is what happened.

Blackberry is now a niche player in the device market but not so in the software security business, or Internet of things. Our iconic company will live on but in the process transform itself.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 11:02 PM
    So far BlackBerry's strategy seems fine.

The phone market is quite saturated with lots of different brands popping up through OEM manufacturers. It's tough to compete at the manufacturing level when you don't have scale (e.g. Apple) and/or you don't control or have significant influence in the raw materials (e.g. Samsung). Neither of which BlackBerry is close to have.

What BlackBerry have are patents and software. Monetising them both should be the way forward, i.e. working on the strengths.

What people don't realise is that BlackBerry is once again late in making the decision to move out of the hardware and rely on OEM. Most brands do that. OEM usually know more about hardware, its compatibilities, and potential designs than anyone else. That's their business.

Nevertheless, it's the right step forward.

Question would be, how will they convince the BlackBerry fans in using Android-based OS.

With all the time and money spent on BB10's NIAP approval mean they'll truly drop BB10? Especially since we know also that the flash sales is all about getting rid of stock...

Am most definitely interested to see where this is going...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    09-30-16 03:36 PM
    So far BlackBerry's strategy seems fine.

The phone market is quite saturated with lots of different brands popping up through OEM manufacturers. It's tough to compete at the manufacturing level when you don't have scale (e.g. Apple) and/or you don't control or have significant influence in the raw materials (e.g. Samsung). Neither of which BlackBerry is close to have.

What BlackBerry have are patents and software. Monetising them both should be the way forward, i.e. working on the strengths.

What people don't realise is that BlackBerry is once again late in making the decision to move out of the hardware and rely on OEM. Most brands do that. OEM usually know more about hardware, its compatibilities, and potential designs than anyone else. That's their business.

Nevertheless, it's the right step forward.

Question would be, how will they convince the BlackBerry fans in using Android-based OS.

With all the time and money spent on BB10's NIAP approval mean they'll truly drop BB10? Especially since we know also that the flash sales is all about getting rid of stock...

Am most definitely interested to see where this is going...

Agree with all but I can't believe they have any options but to move to android. Because there are so many devices on OS10 they will continue with bare hsuppott but for 2017 and forward OS10 updates will focus on essential service to serve loyal customers!

This is not a bad thing.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 01:09 AM
    Outsourcing is OK. But I hope the device running BB10 will appear. There are some needs in business that require secure environment with closed OS.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 04:30 AM
    My best guess is that they'll completely revamp BB10 to a better OS (and name), and restart their marketing efforts on that front to gain a market share for 3rd. But still, the challenge is the application ecosystem. How will they tackle that...that's a tough question that I hope they are trying to figure out, or not.

If they want to continue to monetise their QNX's growth. They should be working on integrating the (new) BB10 and other QNX systems. That'd be awesome.

It's going to be a long journey, and I don't think it'll happen within 1-2 years.

Chen's effort is at the turning point and its results will be clearer by next year...

10-01-16 05:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    At which point I'll just switch to a new phone. Lots of BlackBerry Droid users aren't attached to a particular brand. I can just as easily use anything android or ios for that matter. I'm sure I'm not alone.
    10-01-16 03:46 PM
    My best guess is that they'll completely revamp BB10 to a better OS (and name), and restart their marketing efforts on that front to gain a market share for 3rd. But still, the challenge is the application ecosystem. How will they tackle that...that's a tough question that I hope they are trying to figure out, or not.

If they want to continue to monetise their QNX's growth. They should be working on integrating the (new) BB10 and other QNX systems. That'd be awesome.

It's going to be a long journey, and I don't think it'll happen within 1-2 years.

Chen's effort is at the turning point and its results will be clearer by next year...

I don't think this will happen. A separate app ecosystem is a corollary but that hasn't worked well. Watches, cameras and other things are now connecting to smartphones but BlackBerry has been left out on phones utilising BB10. Although I use only a few apps a lot, and I will probably use my Passport SE until it dies, it is disheartening to know that functionality is limited now w /r/t new devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 11:28 AM
    I don't think this will happen. A separate app ecosystem is a corollary but that hasn't worked well. Watches, cameras and other things are now connecting to smartphones but BlackBerry has been left out on phones utilising BB10. Although I use only a few apps a lot, and I will probably use my Passport SE until it dies, it is disheartening to know that functionality is limited now w /r/t new devices.

Posted via CB10
    V don't need a separate app ecosystem.
    An Android runtime & a GPS alternative e.g. microG. But it needs to b perfected.
    10-02-16 01:40 PM
    Sure is gonna be a tough battle ahead...

10-02-16 02:41 PM