I have been searching and still have not gotten anywhere. The device keeps shutting off. I am waiting for a new device from Verizon to arrive (I ordered the defective device from Wirefly)

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas on how to correct it?
    12-04-08 01:15 PM
    I have been searching and still have not gotten anywhere. The device keeps shutting off. I am waiting for a new device from Verizon to arrive (I ordered the defective device from Wirefly)

Have you installed any 3rd party apps recently? Treat it like a computer, think about what has been installed and work backwards from there. Example, I installed the Weatherbug app and I found that it was freezing my BB and also turning the screen on randomly. Also, it was making the back of my BB very warm near the battery (not good). I uninstalled it and now it's back to normal.
    12-04-08 01:36 PM

Same problem here. I have no 3rd party apps and I'm running .75. Seems to happen when it goes in or comes out of the holster or when using media player. I've also had it happen when it locks. I called VZW and was told "That isn't right". I'm waiting for a new one now.

Are you using BES or BIS?
    12-04-08 01:58 PM
    I would do a soft reset. That usually fixes a lot of problems.
    12-04-08 02:00 PM
    All the resets in the world wont fix it. I have two in my possession right now that randomly reboot. It's a software issue that was not fixed with .75. Hopefully the next one.
    12-04-08 02:02 PM
    All the resets in the world wont fix it. I have two in my possession right now that randomly reboot. It's a software issue that was not fixed with .75. Hopefully the next one.
    I've been using .75 since the first day it was available and it has worked just fine. I had a couple of hiccups but thats it.
    12-04-08 02:07 PM
    It was doing it before I added the 3rd party apps, I have done EVERYTHING I have been instructed to do...GRRRRR!!!!

It powers off at least 5 10 times an hour!!!!
    12-04-08 02:09 PM
    Same problem here. I have no 3rd party apps and I'm running .75. Seems to happen when it goes in or comes out of the holster or when using media player. I've also had it happen when it locks. I called VZW and was told "That isn't right". I'm waiting for a new one now.

Are you using BES or BIS?

I am using BIS
    12-04-08 02:10 PM
    you have to redo .75 and it fixes it
    12-04-08 02:14 PM
    I'm on .65 still and I've had it randomly reboot on me 3x since I got it (on the 21st). Not nearly as much as yours but it seems to happen.
    12-04-08 02:20 PM
    you have to redo .75 and it fixes it
    Tried it. Even wiped it first. Leaked .75 or official. Still does it.
    12-04-08 02:20 PM
    I had the same thing. Got my replacement from verizon with .75 already installed and it still happens 2-5 times a day. Only 3rd party apps are myspace and facebook. Whats the point of having something if it's always shutting off?
    01-01-09 09:39 AM
    I have had similar issues....but the reboots seem to go longer between them now....not sure why. Still like the phone.....but as long as the OS keeps getting updated I figure they will fix it eventually.....
    01-01-09 09:59 AM
    So far twice in two weeks, not doing anything on the unit at the time. Very odd. But if that's the extent of it I'm not going to fuss, at least for now.
    01-01-09 10:17 AM
    I had the same problem, phone came with .75 and rebooted 3 times daily. I installed .83 and now .85 I haven't had a single unscheduled reboot.
    01-01-09 10:30 AM
    I am also haveing this problem as well... this is my second phone. With the first phone, but with that phone i had really weird problem, that were completly unfixable so they gave me a new one. This phone works great, except for the fact that it is reseting by itself all the time. I notice it at least 4-5 times a day, but who know how many times its doing it that i dont see or know about.

Does anyone have any ideas, or solution to fix this? Besides doing a complete reinstall of the software? Which is a pain and very time consuming?

Thanks,

Jason
    01-01-09 01:28 PM
    I am also haveing this problem as well... this is my second phone. With the first phone, but with that phone i had really weird problem, that were completly unfixable so they gave me a new one. This phone works great, except for the fact that it is reseting by itself all the time. I notice it at least 4-5 times a day, but who know how many times its doing it that i dont see or know about.

Does anyone have any ideas, or solution to fix this? Besides doing a complete reinstall of the software? Which is a pain and very time consuming?

Thanks,

Jason
    01-01-09 01:30 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My BB storm does this once per week. It seems to occur when holstering the device.

Perhaps the red END key is being pressed as the Storm is being slid into and out of the holster. I have 2 holsters. The non-belt holster is newer and it is a tight fit for the Storm. My other holster (belt version) has a snug fit. The "off-state" occurs on both of my holsters but more so on the tighter holster.

I thought that maybe when holstering the device I accidently pressed the "lock" while pushing it in from the top. Pressing the lock key from the top is likely when sliding the Storm in holster, but unlikely that it is causing the "off-state".

I know the device is on prior to inserting device in magnetic holster. Next time I check my device, the screen is off and not responsive. I wake up or turn on my device by clicking the red END hard key. It always recover this way without a hard reset (battery pull). Takes only 5-7 seconds to reboot with the Verizon splash screen and eventually my home screen shows up.

This random "off-state" is bad because you don't know the phone is off and you can't receive calls and messages.

If it matters, I have the last official VZ update 0.75 on my BB storm.
    01-01-09 01:32 PM
    My storm rebooted constantly before and after the official update. I think it's the phone and not software. Ppl should get replacements.
    01-01-09 02:12 PM
    I have noticed that my storm reboots at what I am assuming is 20% of battery. It has happened twice in the past week. I do not normally allow it to get that low, but I admit I was being lazy with the holidays and everything.

The second time it happened, I saw a brief error message right before everything went dark but dont recall what it said....I promise to pay more attention next time.

My question is: Does anyone know if there is a low battery warning?
    01-01-09 02:56 PM
    Mine rebooted on .75, but on .85 it hasn't rebooted even once and its been since the day after .85 came out here on this site.
    01-01-09 03:12 PM
    I have not figured out the reboots, mine does not seem to have too many problems with rebooting. However, it seems that when I notice it, I have been in a weak signal area for an extended period of time.

Mark
    Ball Ground, GA
    01-01-09 04:03 PM
    My first Storm rebooted all the time so I had it replaced. My new one started doing the same thing so I decided to update the os from .75 to .85. Since I updated the os I have not had a single reboot.

As for the signal strength causing the problem there might be some merit to that. Almost every reboot happened at home where I have marginal signal.
    01-01-09 04:44 PM
    i actually got a replacement device right out of the box and it was having this issue. i dealt with it for a week before i just decided to take it back to verizon.

i know it wasnt the 3rd party apps because i had all the same apps that i had on my first phone and it never randomly shut off like that.

i literally just got back to my house after verizon exchanged it for me so im hoping it doesnt have any issues because i really like the phone its just that the resetting thing was kind of rediculous
    01-01-09 05:25 PM
    I have the one from Mexico and noticed anywhere from 2-15 reboots/day when coming out of "sleep" mode. This was on OS .75 . I took the plunge and updated to .85 today and so far, so good. I can't imagine what sort of hardware problem would cause the random reboots, but are folks having this problem with the model produced in Canada as well?

Anybody else with .85 installed for more than a few days note that this is the solution to the reboot issue? If it is, I will keep my phone instead of returning it for a replacement.

Thanks,
    PMMD
    01-01-09 05:35 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD