Had a good-running 9900 for several years... it froze during a phone call and has never successfully rebooted since. Safe mode doesn't work, it gets to about 80% on the thermometer and hangs there forever (I've left it running as long as week to see if it got over itself... it didn't). No microSD or SIMM in it, not that having them in or out has ever mattered.

Installer failed.

BBSAK failed.

Short of opening a paid incident with Blackberry, what can I do to force the thing to abandon the fsck I am sure locks it up and at least get to a bare-bones start?

Desktop sees it until the thermometer hits 80%, not enough time for it to grab it and do a recovery or wipe/reinstall.
    BBSAK does about the same.

Anybody any wizardry? I already moved to a Q20, for carrier-related reasons, but I wanna keep it around because they make great wifi devices and media players when I'm on the road. Do not even think about telling me to contact the carrier... I didn't buy this one from them and I suspect it's older than some of their techs.

Sorry I didn't post this to my old acct, I think it got hijacked and I had to set up a new one. I've been on here since my old 8700c.
    08-26-16 05:22 PM
    No such thing as a Q20.......just saying.
    08-26-16 08:22 PM
    No such thing as a Q20.......just saying.
    Some calls the classic it.

Anyway OP, sounds like the rom part of the disk is fried. Happened on my old 9900 not long after purchase. Lucky it was under warranty.

Tried the loader exe way?

Sent from mTalk on Windows Phone 10
    08-26-16 11:37 PM
    The Q20 isn't the issue. And yeah, later, they decided to call it the "Classic." For me, the classic Berry was the 8700c.
    08-26-16 11:54 PM
    Anything .exe is not gonna happen in this house, unless it takes place in a VM. All Apple here.

That said, what specifically are you suggesting with loader.exe? BBSAK in a VM can't grab it fast enough to head off the freeze at 80% thermometer. Safe mode does not work.

There is NO OPTION OF ANY KIND to do this in a native Windows environment. If I should feed this 9900 to my neighbor's steer and hope it ****s out an 8800, tell me, otherwise I'll just buy another used one dirt cheap off eBay and keep it as a wifi pet.

I still own a working 8800, a Storm 2 (yeah, it was my ex-wife's idea), and a 9700, so I don't quite buy the idea that the rom just clusterfukt'd itself in the middle of a call for no damn reason. That's the kinda thing LGs and Motorolas do.
    08-27-16 12:00 AM
    Anything .exe is not gonna happen in this house, unless it takes place in a VM. All Apple here.

That said, what specifically are you suggesting with loader.exe? BBSAK in a VM can't grab it fast enough to head off the freeze at 80% thermometer. Safe mode does not work.

There is NO OPTION OF ANY KIND to do this in a native Windows environment. If I should feed this 9900 to my neighbor's steer and hope it ****s out an 8800, tell me, otherwise I'll just buy another used one dirt cheap off eBay and keep it as a wifi pet.

I still own a working 8800, a Storm 2 (yeah, it was my ex-wife's idea), and a 9700, so I don't quite buy the idea that the rom just clusterfukt'd itself in the middle of a call for no damn reason. That's the kinda thing LGs and Motorolas do.
    Borrow a laptop? Just an os reload from a Windows machine should do the trick?

Sent from mTalk on Windows Phone 10
    08-27-16 12:16 AM
    Can you use a PC at your local library to do what is required?

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    08-27-16 12:57 AM
    Short of opening a paid incident with Blackberry, what can I do to force the thing to abandon the fsck I am sure locks it up and at least get to a bare-bones start?
    Is it possible the battery has failed? Not run down -- _failed_

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    08-30-16 06:55 PM