My kid's just barely (5 weeks!) out of warranty Z30 was pinched between a person and a wheelbarrow. The Z30 lost, of course! The glass is fine but you can see the display is cracked more than 1/3 across and doesn't work. Local shop wants $160 to replace it with $40 or so as labor. He really likes the phone but knows it makes zero sense to spend that much when Amazon has new ones with a warranty for $189! He's also on the fence because he really likes the BB10 OS much more than the android he's using (a $50 Alcatel Idol) since the BlackBerry does a much better job of multi-tasking than any android he's looked at. BUT he also realizes the way Chen has let all of the users down by forcing us to choose between security or good specs and waterproof mil-spec ruggedness like the Galaxy active series.

For now we're willing to wait a bit longer to see if BlackBerry releases a rugged or at least better spec device that isn't 2-4 years behind the average while charging as much as the flagship devices it isn't able to compete with. Does anyone know of a more affordable source for the display or an installed display that would make it worth fixing his Z30?
    Thanks!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    08-16-16 04:23 PM
    You can buy a new screen quite cheaply. It's a very easy job to replace it yourself, there's a YouTube video that shows you exactly how to do it.

Never had to do it myself but the guys on here reckon it only takes a few minutes.

Just make sure you get the correct screen. The Verison one has different fixings.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2836
    08-16-16 05:46 PM
    Yes, really easy to replace, just did one of mine last week, again lol. BTW save the ear speaker off the old one, never know when you will need it.
    08-16-16 05:50 PM
    Ok, I guess I will take it as possible that it's not too difficult to replace. But what about finding a good quality screen from a reputable source? This is an unlocked GSM currently on AT&T. What is considered a reasonable price for a new display of the same quality as the original BlackBerry OE display? What's a good deal? What's so cheap that there's no way it can be legit, either by quality or by being used? What special tools would I need to do the swap?

Thanks!

08-18-16 06:48 AM
    The OEM replacement for the 4G version, in black, WITH frame (trust me you want it with the frame) is currently $52 through etradesupply, and shipping will be about $18-$20 to the USA; dunno where you're at or what it would cost if you're somewhere else.

You could chance it with a cheaper one from elsewhere but could get a bogus product, wrong product, or........

Just need a case opening tool (very cheap; you can get it from them, too - or use a guitar pick, etc.) and a Torx 5 driver - though it seems some of the videos on screen replacement, they had a different size screw. Mine are T5.

It really is ridiculously easy; I've done a couple so far between my wife's Z30 and mine.

Richard
    08-18-16 12:01 PM
    So $70 or so delivered here in the US plus the cost of a T-5 bit if the one I have isn't sharp enough. By any chance do you have a link to one of the better done YouTube videos showing how it's done? Would a credit card work to open it? Don't have either the tool or a pick.

08-18-16 07:02 PM
    So $70 or so delivered here in the US plus the cost of a T-5 bit if the one I have isn't sharp enough. By any chance do you have a link to one of the better done YouTube videos showing how it's done? Would a credit card work to open it? Don't have either the tool or a pick.

Nope you need the actual tool.

The small screws are very easily worn out. Just buy the proper size driver!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 10:10 PM
    No, I wasn't asking about the torx bit. Since I saw that a guitar pick could substitute for some kind of tool for opening up the display during some stage of the repair I was asking whether or not a credit card can be used instead since I don't have a pick or the special tool?

I also hoped to find someone who could post a trustworthy link to a video with clear instructions for the actual "surgery" so I can see whether or not I can feel confident in a good result before spending 60% of the cost of a new Z30. I have done simple things like adding RAM to laptops but haven't gone under the hood of a smartphone before...

08-19-16 01:05 AM
    +10000000000 for etrade supply

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 06:46 AM
    Check etradesupply's site for the video; pretty sure they have a decent one posted. There's one on youtube from a guy in the UK that has made more than a few vids like this and his is fine too, though I think he's the one that mentioned a different screw size that I found to be incorrect in my example.

You can get the opening tool for literally a couple bucks from etradesupply while you're making your screen order.

Richard
    08-19-16 12:04 PM
    I got mine replaced, bought from aliexpress.com for $43 including postage to Europe.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-16 01:47 AM
    Super easy 8-10 torx screws depending on the model # you have. Buy it on line ebay etrade or amazon. Get the correct one that works with the model # you have. Buy the one with the whole housing makes the install easy and fast

Posted via CB10
    08-22-16 11:28 AM
    I think I'd better look at the video 1st, since I didn't know that there was a choice of getting one with or without an assembly!

08-22-16 01:25 PM
    No, I wasn't asking about the torx bit. Since I saw that a guitar pick could substitute for some kind of tool for opening up the display during some stage of the repair I was asking whether or not a credit card can be used instead since I don't have a pick or the special tool?

I also hoped to find someone who could post a trustworthy link to a video with clear instructions for the actual "surgery" so I can see whether or not I can feel confident in a good result before spending 60% of the cost of a new Z30. I have done simple things like adding RAM to laptops but haven't gone under the hood of a smartphone before...

You will need good vision to be able to see all of the tiny parts and steady hands.

The pick tool isn't 100% required, unless you got good finger nails and don't care how bad your tear them up
    That said, most of the parts sellers will also offer a kit with an assortment that contains the right size screw driver and one or more picks and prying tools, just pick up one of those kits along with the screen.
    Read the seller's postings, sometimes they include the kit.
    Also, there are two screens:
    • One for the STA100-3 Verizon branded Z30
    • One of all of the other model Z30s

The two do not interchange. They have different fixing points and screw holes.
    So double check your Z30 to determine the exact model and the seller to make sure they are offering the correct part your need.

This is the video I used when I tore down my Z30 to replace the battery:

Also he mentions the driver is a T4. While a T4 can work, it is actually one size too small which allows you to risk damaging the head of the screw and the tool. The correct tool is a T5 Torx six-point screw driver.
    The blue pry bar tool is just a different design tool that works like the "guitar pick" tool.
    08-23-16 04:45 AM
    Watch on youtube, do it yourself carefully. Easy.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 02:07 PM
    I picked up a replacement screen on Amazon.ca for $90.00 CDN. There are screens on eBay for less but went with Amazon for a few dollars more given the positive reviews of the product and the no hassle return/replacement policy. Didn't wish to be stuck with a bad screen for the sake of trying to save $20.00 or $30.00. It arrived in under two weeks as I went with the free shipping. Great looking screen complete with the BlackBerry logo on the bottom, unlike some cheaper models out there, and a new speaker built into the screen for the ear piece for the phone function. Tools were included as well! Watched a couple of YouTube videos for the procedure to swap out screens. Followed the steps as detailed in the videos and replaced the old screen with the new one in under ten minutes. Super easy. Now enjoying all that BlackBerry goodness on my Z30 again. Well worth the money and simple DYI procedure which will save the labour fees charged by a repair shop. Only word of caution is go slowly and be cautious. Torx #4 screw driver needed to remove all of the screws which hold the screen to the chassis. I've owned my Z30 for about three years and can't see why I couldn't get another three out of it now that it has a new screen. Battery life is still awesome. Now I'll set aside the savings realized by doing the replacement myself and wait for the DTEK60 to come down in price in the coming year before buying one to make the transition to Android. But I will still use my trusty Z30 for some time to come as I just love everything about the device and enjoy BBOS10. Hope this helps and good luck!

Posted via CB10
    10-29-16 11:30 AM
    You can buy for cheap in Nigeria, just 8000 Naira from slot.ng, an online store

Posted with my awesome Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-30-16 11:16 AM