Google is working on a new operating system named Fuchsia | The Verge

I find it interesting that Apple has hired the founder of QNX, and now we're hearing news that Google is developing a new OS that is built on Magenta, which according to this article is a "medium-sized microkernel." QNX is a microkernel. Android is on top of a mono kernel? And apparently OSX and iOS are built on XNU, a "hybrid kernel."

So are both Apple and Google developing new operating systems in response to how amazing BB10+QNX was? What is going on here? Can anyone make a little sense of all of this? I'm really just grasping at what looks like a trend to me.
    08-15-16 11:30 AM
    Google is working on a new operating system named Fuchsia | The Verge

I find it interesting that Apple has hired the founder of QNX, and now we're hearing news that Google is developing a new OS that is built on Magenta, which according to this article is a "medium-sized microkernel." QNX is a microkernel. Android is on top of a mono kernel? And apparently OSX and iOS are built on XNU, a "hybrid kernel."

So are both Apple and Google developing new operating systems in response to how amazing BB10+QNX was? What is going on here? Can anyone make a little sense of all of this? I'm really just grasping at what looks like a trend to me.
    How amazing BB10 based on QNX was? BB10 that required 2GB of RAM? BB10 that sucked a 1800mAh battery dry in five or six hours? BB10 that still has enough bugs in it to keep traffic coming to CrackBerry for help?

Neither Apple nor Google will make the mistake of trying to transition users to a "new" OS. They might at some point start merging something in to allow for a smooth transition at some point... But as that article stated, it's most likely for other appliances.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-15-16 11:42 AM
    For Google, the move is a consolidation of control over Android. Currently, Android is built on top of the open source Linux kernel.

Google wants its own operating system where it has more power over its direction as well as less lenient licensing terms that incorporate closed source/proprietary software.

(If Google or Apple were impressed with QNX, they would not hesitate to buy it, btw. The entire value of BBRY is peanuts to them.)
    08-15-16 11:57 AM
    This OS effort is about embedded applications like IoT, auto, VR places where QNX plays. You don't need all the code and app compatibility of a full blown mobile OS in those niches and running a runtime layer may not be the most efficient use of resources.

Could it develop to and replace Android in the future. Yes, but developer buy-in will be a huge problem so its better to go slow and start in smaller niches and leverage that user base in the future if and when the switch of platforms is necessary. An Android runtime for Fuchsia will be necessary as part of that transition. Kind of going the opposite of BB10, where it was QNX>BB10> BB10 with runtime >Android. Fuchsia will be Android >Fuchsia with runtime>Fuchsia .

Google is pretty famous for embarking on alot of projects and the abandoning them later on, the company tries to keep a startup culture in-house, so its just as likely this could be one of them.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-15-16 02:08 PM
    How amazing BB10 based on QNX was? BB10 that required 2GB of RAM? BB10 that sucked a 1800mAh battery dry in five or six hours? BB10 that still has enough bugs in it to keep traffic coming to CrackBerry for help?

Neither Apple nor Google will make the mistake of trying to transition users to a "new" OS. They might at some point start merging something in to allow for a smooth transition at some point... But as that article stated, it's most likely for other appliances.
    I don't think you're giving BB10.2.1 enough credit.
    08-15-16 04:56 PM
    I don't think you're giving BB10.2.1 enough credit.
    I don't have to judge it... they market already has.

QNX might have made a really great mobile OS (seen lots of documentation that says a micro kernel only shines in more simple applications), but BB10 is not full QNX, it is an OS that has to run a Android Runtime and in a way another BlackBerry PMI Services runtime. Which is why BB10 is such a resource hog and uses so much power.

A pure QNX OS, the one we kinda expect would be built back in 2010 and 2011... never really appeared.
    08-16-16 10:38 AM
    I don't have to judge it... they market already has.

QNX might have made a really great mobile OS (seen lots of documentation that says a micro kernel only shines in more simple applications), but BB10 is not full QNX, it is an OS that has to run a Android Runtime and in a way another BlackBerry PMI Services runtime. Which is why BB10 is such a resource hog and uses so much power.

A pure QNX OS, the one we kinda expect would be built back in 2010 and 2011... never really appeared.
    Just because the market couldn't appreciate BB10 doesnt mean that it isn't the most advanced mobile OS, and the only mobile RTOS. It was ahead of its time, though it had some real growing pains and ended up in a bad place. It doesn't mean that it won't have a lasting effect on the industry.

However, it certainly doesn't require the Android runtime, and I don't know where you're getting your battery life numbers, because I get better life on my BB10 devices than any others. The Passport regularly gets 1.5 to 2 days on a full charge with medium usage. And it has a hot processor and a huge, high res screen. The battery is large, but not phenomenally large compared to other large android handsets.
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 08-17-16 at 08:23 AM.
    acovey likes this.
    08-16-16 12:39 PM

(If Google or Apple were impressed with QNX, they would not hesitate to buy it, btw. The entire value of BBRY is peanuts to them.)
    I'm sure one or the other approached BlackBerry and offered those peanuts you speak of.
    "No thanks " would have been the answer.
    You could buy a Ferrari that's been recked for less than a new one but,not for the price of a Corrola .No harm trying but you have to pay to play..at the time BlackBerry was worth more to them dead then alive. Any word of interest in BlackBerry by either Google or Apple could awaken the sleeping tiger. But then again who knows.

Posted via CB10
    deadcowboy likes this.
    08-17-16 07:50 PM
    IOT is tailor made for something like a microkernel OS. For small devices like sensors or other headless devices, why would you need anything more than what the device needs built into the OS? The QNX team, which for all intents and purposes isn't really related to the rest of BlackBerry, hopefully has the experience to keep them ahead of competitors in an arena whose time may finally be coming.

BlackBerry 10's problem wasn't QNX, since there's very little of the underlying OS that the user sees. The issue is the amount of coding layered on top of QNX, combined with the rush by BlackBerry to put together something that should have been in development for a much longer time than it ever got before release.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 07:21 PM
    I'm sure one or the other approached BlackBerry and offered those peanuts you speak of.
    "No thanks " would have been the answer.
    Either Google or Apple could easily offer $5B, or even $10B if they wanted QNX, and I assure you that BB's board - most of whom have significant BB stock, would break their necks in their rush to agree to the sale - and they'd thank their lucky stars that they'd be able to cash out and not have lost a lot of money.

But Google will use Linux as the base of anything they do, and Apple will use BSD - because they've got the best developers in the world for these OSs and either one could do anything that QNX does - even if it takes a couple billion in development to make it happen. Still, they'd each prefer to do it themselves and be able to own the results free and clear and not be encumbered in any way by a deal with some other company.
    08-18-16 07:51 PM