I am interested to see comments from any Z30 users that have tried the DTEK 50.
    08-12-16 03:59 PM
    I'll let you know after I have used it a while. As of now I feel the Z30 is nicer, more solid, better looking. Only thing bad about it are lack of working apps.

Posted via CB10
    jeffsantos likes this.
    08-12-16 04:54 PM
    From the specs, DTEK 50 is probably more than likely the better one. I wouldn't mind winning one. Hehe. I am looking forward to see what's coming out next, if they are actually going to beef up the specs to compete with other things out there.
    08-12-16 04:56 PM
    I had the Dtek50 but have decided to return it and stick with my Z30. Don't get me wrong blackberry for Android was outstanding. However the battery life was terrible on the Dtek50 and the phone had some glitches like not turning on double tap on multiple occasions and 3 times after trying double tap to wake with no success would not power on by pressing the power button

I was hoping Dtek50 would be my happy solution for the app gap and replace my Z30. But not yet. BlackBerry has made some great strides but the device itself although very nice looking and great in the hand was a let down.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 09:11 PM
    I own both. If I had my way, I'd use the Z30 forever. Unfortunately, one by one, all my apks have stopped working. If only BlackBerry would update the Android runtime.

On the flipside, the DTEK50 is an excellent device. The battery life is comparable to the Z30 based on my usage patterns and the form factor is fantastic. Almost the same size as the Z30, just slightly taller and way thinner and lighter.

Imo, BB10 is still the superior OS so if you don't need apps and have everything you need with 10.3.2, than I would say stick with the Z30. However if you're dependent on your apks or soon to be sunset platforms such as WhatsApp, then make the jump to the DTEK50. You'll be impressed with what BlackBerry has done with Android (even though it'll take you awhile to get used to not having the awesome BB10 gestures).
    bigjman likes this.
    08-13-16 09:24 PM
    I upgraded my wife's Z30 to DTEK50. She is very happy. Happy to have the apps she wanted before. Battery life is about the same as the Z30 but I was expecting something noticeably better.

Hub is OK. It has most of the features. I do prefer the look of the BB10 Hub. Overall, I prefer the look of BB10 but I guess that is subjective. Good device though. It's fast and everything flows nicely. I haven't seen any lags when I do play with it. Web browser loads faster than my Passport.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    Last edited by pgg101; 08-13-16 at 10:44 PM.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-13-16 09:30 PM
    We finally put all of our Z10s and Z30s out to pasture and replaced them with DTEK50s. There is no looking back.
    08-13-16 09:34 PM
    I upgraded my wife's Z30 to DTEK50. She is very happy. Happy to have the apps she wanted before. Battery life is about the same as the Z30 but I was expecting something noticeably better.

Hub is OK. It has most of the features. I do prefer the look of the BB10 Hub. Overall, I prefer the look of BB10 but I guess that is subjective. Good device though. It's fast and everything flows nicely. I haven't seen any lags when I do play with it. Web browser loads faster than my Passport.

Whatever make us happy.... just picked it.... I love BlackBerry 10, but I would use Android if it fulfil my needs.....

Posted via CB10
    08-14-16 07:53 AM
    Well the speakers on my Z30 are better than the tech ,was hoping they would be as good.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-16 10:26 AM
    Z30 is a beast but if I decide that I want Android then there are better and cheaper options than BlackBerry. After my custom for the Playbook, Z10 and Z30 BlackBerry don't deserve loyalty anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and mammoth like this.
    08-14-16 02:32 PM
    Z30 is a beast but if I decide that I want Android then there are better and cheaper options than BlackBerry. After my custom for the Playbook, Z10 and Z30 BlackBerry don't deserve loyalty anymore.

Posted via CB10
    So your Z10 has been delivering what you paid for for three and a half years, and your Z30 is a "beast" and it's approaching 3 years, and now you've lost all loyalty to BlackBerry?

The DTEK50 is only a bit more expensive than some of the competition if you completely discount what Blackberry brings to Android, and place no value on the added security and software.
    CerveloJohn and danfrancisco like this.
    08-14-16 02:48 PM
    The Z30 is still a better phone in real use. I feel that BlackBerry software and apps are still not fully integrated with Android OS.

If you are not some extreme social network user who needs to be on Facebook 24/7, and need all the latest chatting apps such as Snapchat, Whatsapp, and others, go for the Dtek, but for most business users who are going to rely on email services as a main communication method, BlackBerry 10 is the superior OS.

Posted via CB10
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    08-14-16 11:00 PM
    The Z30 is still a better phone in real use. I feel that BlackBerry software and apps are still not fully integrated with Android OS.

If you are not some extreme social network user who needs to be on Facebook 24/7, and need all the latest chatting apps such as Snapchat, Whatsapp, and others, go for the Dtek, but for most business users who are going to rely on email services as a main communication method, BlackBerry 10 is the superior OS.

Posted via CB10
    That's a little condescending. I can assure you that BlackBerry Android can do a lot more than extreme facebooking and chat apps.

While I may give a slight edge to BB10 for email-only, the shear breadth of work one can do on the DTEK50 makes it the superior choice for every other conceivable application.
    Avenzuno and James Blight like this.
    08-14-16 11:19 PM
    That's a little condescending. I can assure you that BlackBerry Android can do a lot more than extreme facebooking and chat apps.

While I may give a slight edge to BB10 for email-only, the shear breadth of work one can do on the DTEK50 makes it the superior choice for every other conceivable application.
    I did not mean to be condescending.

It is what it is. If you need the social apps, go for Android. If you need the best phone for basic text based communication, go for a BlackBerry 10 phone with a physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and elfabio80 like this.
    08-14-16 11:24 PM
    So your Z10 has been delivering what you paid for for three and a half years, and your Z30 is a "beast" and it's approaching 3 years, and now you've lost all loyalty to BlackBerry?

The DTEK50 is only a bit more expensive than some of the competition if you completely discount what Blackberry brings to Android, and place no value on the added security and software.
    So BlackBerry offer monthly security patches for Android, which is a great thing, but for how long? Is this something they guarantee to do for a period of time if you buy one of their Android devices or are they just going to forget they said this when they get fed up of supporting these devices? I was citing primarily the Playbook, but now BB10 devices, as things that they don't now support. Some people bought Passports fairly recently I guess and are now left with devices which will become fairly quickly unsupported and you think this deserves loyalty? I'm a big BlackBerry fan and would love them to succeed but when my Z30 dies then I'll see what is out there. Glad you're enjoying your Android devices and I hope BlackBerry continue to support them fully.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 03:09 AM
    Some people bought Passports fairly recently I guess and are now left with devices which will become fairly quickly unsupported and you think this deserves loyalty?

Posted via CB10
    The Passport was first sold two years ago, and will continue to receive updates for at least another year. That makes 3 years of software support.

There are people still buying Galaxy S5 devices (same era as Passport). How much more support are they expecting?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-15-16 07:29 AM
    My point was more related to whether anyone can trust BlackBerry to fully support long term the devices they are currently selling.
    Android is flavour of the month at the moment and the level of support appears impressive but would I trust them to continue this impressive level of support long term or if the Android approach fails, will it just be another "sorry guys but we're not supporting this any longer "?
    I truly hope their approach is a success and it revives the handset business but they need to work hard to win back the trust of their customers as there are a lot of options out there if people want to go to Android.

Posted via CB10
    mammoth likes this.
    08-15-16 08:06 AM
    Went to my carrier today, DTEK50 going on display and sale on wednesday woohoo woot woot... Sasktel Mobility... I'll give it a go before I decide :-)

Posted via CB10
    08-15-16 08:41 PM
    Why not go to apkpure and download an older version of the app you need that will work with the currently available runtime. I've done this on my classic and passport and no issues so far. Maybe some geniuses and we have some out here will devise a way to get around the runtime issue with current app versions.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    08-15-16 08:53 PM
    I'd take the Z30 purely for the OS
    08-16-16 04:47 AM
    Went to my carrier today, DTEK50 going on display and sale on wednesday woohoo woot woot... Sasktel Mobility... I'll give it a go before I decide :-)

Posted via CB10
    It's a good device. I replaced my wife's Z30. Better in every way except for the Hub. But I'm sure it will get closer and closer to the BB10 version in no time. I'm looking forward to Mercury.

Last edited by pgg101; 08-16-16 at 10:20 AM.
    08-16-16 10:00 AM
    Doesn't Android spy on people?

Probably not a big deal if they are because one can assume the NSA is collecting data and spying on everyone, including BLACKBERRY users
    08-16-16 12:30 PM
    Doesn't Android spy on people?

Probably not a big deal if they are because one can assume the NSA is collecting data and spying on everyone, including BLACKBERRY users
    If by spy you mean Google collects large amounts of info, then yes. Advertisers buy ads and then Google uses what it knows about you to send you the ads that have the highest chance of interest.

For ex Z30 users turn down the brightness alot and it will make you feel at home and increase the battery life quite a bit.
    08-16-16 12:50 PM
    Z30 vs DTEK50. No comparison. They are in different room. Which room do you want to stay is up to you. If you are an Apps maniac then go to DTEK50 otherwise stay in Z30.
    Z30 is a workhorse phone.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and mammoth like this.
    08-16-16 02:33 PM
    Z30 vs DTEK50. No comparison. They are in different room. Which room do you want to stay is up to you. If you are an Apps maniac then go to DTEK50 otherwise stay in Z30.
    Z30 is a workhorse phone.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that's a fair delineation.
    Last edited by conite; 08-16-16 at 04:45 PM.
    08-16-16 02:44 PM
78 123 ...