Verizon to shut down 2G CDMA 1X network by the end of 2019 - FierceWireless

I wonder how prepaid carriers on the Verizon network are going to adjust. Currently, all their voice traffic is on the 1X network.
    07-15-16 08:09 PM
    what, all prepaid voice traffic is on the 1X? not VoLTE? that means everytime a prepaid VZ customer makes a voice call then the LTE is switched to 1X? that's 4G to 2G!! migosh..

well maybe by that time VZ will enable VoLTE to all of its customers including the prepaid.. let's hope..

here in my country we haven't had VoLTE as yet, our LTE is still just for data only though, whenever a voice call is made then it's switched to 3G/HSPA+.
    07-15-16 08:33 PM
    what, all prepaid voice traffic is on the 1X? not VoLTE? that means everytime a prepaid VZ customer makes a voice call then the LTE is switched to 1X? that's 4G to 2G!! migosh..
    Correct. But the same thing happens for postpaid customers without voLTE deployment in their markets, or ones that own phones like the Z10 or Q10 that aren't cleared for voLTE on Verizon.

well maybe by that time VZ will enable VoLTE to all of its customers including the prepaid.. let's hope..
    I'm not sure if all prepaid carriers using the Verizon network have access to LTE at all. Postpaid and maybe even branded prepaid holdout customers may get upgraded, but I don't know what MVNOs are going to do.

here in my country we haven't had VoLTE as yet, our LTE is still just for data only though, whenever a voice call is made then it's switched to 3G/HSPA+.
    Yeah, that's what happens on my Q10 as well. My carrier has rolled out voLTE, even supports it on the Priv, but not on BB10 phones (which are perfectly capable.)
    Last edited by raino; 07-15-16 at 09:06 PM.
    07-15-16 08:55 PM
    To clarify Verizon phones that do not use VoLTE generally do not drop out of LTE data when on a call. They use the 1x radio for voice and LTE for data simultaneously.

Some phones (like iPhone) do not support this. Newer phones on Verizon that support VoLTE will drop LTE data if using 1x for voice.

The BlackBerry 10 phones on Verizon do not drop LTE data when using 1x voice.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 08:24 AM