So I was traveling this year as a federal wildland firefighter and I noticed the
    incredible lack of service in Montana, Idaho, Whyoming, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.

Basically, unless I was in downtown
    Albuquerque or a city with more than 200,000 people, I was roaming on AT&T or Union Pacific. So the coverage map of theirs is a skewed overestimate of reliable service, because if I only get 200mb per month of data while roaming on AT&T, then verified 4G is worthless after the first week.

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device - via the T-Mobile Network
    07-01-16 10:47 PM
    It's all in the fine print...
    Attached Thumbnails Traveling Roaming and the T-Mo coverage map-img_20160702_054225.png  
    07-02-16 05:44 AM
    Roaming data provided is a joke, and some postpaid customers don't even get 200MB! That's why I keep a Cricket SIM handy. 2GB at 8mbps always beats 0GB at 0mbps.
    oakakaemmy likes this.
    07-02-16 12:42 PM
    I just got a Cricket sim off of eBay. Do you use a third party to fill it?

I haven't tried it yet because whatever you buy apparently only lasts for a month. I want to fill it just before I leave for the land of no Tmo service.

Regarding roaming with TMobile, as the kids say, bahwahwahwah. ;-) I will say though I was mighty pleased with Tmo roaming on AT$T in Ely Nevada. Full LTE. If only Tmo would buy USA Commnet and upgrade the towers. Commnet backhaul is awful. It is like they converted their Edge to LTE but didn't improve the backhaul.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-16 06:51 PM
    I just got a Cricket sim off of eBay. Do you use a third party to fill it?
    If this question was for me, I buy refills at Best Buy. AFAIK, Callingmart doesn't sell refills. Walmart does, maybe Target does too.
    07-04-16 12:02 PM
    If this question was for me, I buy refills at Best Buy. AFAIK, Callingmart doesn't sell refills. Walmart does, maybe Target does too.
    Yeah, callingmart was the place I was wondering about. I see Cricket is not there. But other AT$T outlets are.

Do I get charged for activation as well as a charge for the month for Cricket? If I don't keep refilling the card, how long can I keep the phone number?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 12:22 AM
    Do I get charged for activation as well as a charge for the month for Cricket? If I don't keep refilling the card, how long can I keep the phone number?
    If you activate online, there's no fee so you'd just be paying for the refill. Cricket cancels accounts after 60 days of non-payment.

The also have some...interesting late fees: Cricket Cuts Late Fee Grace Period to Just One Day | Prepaid Phone News
    07-05-16 12:48 PM
    If you activate online, there's no fee so you'd just be paying for the refill. Cricket cancels accounts after 60 days of non-payment.

The also have some...interesting late fees: Cricket Cuts Late Fee Grace Period to Just One Day | Prepaid Phone News
    Late fee on a prepaid?

So if I use it for one month, which is my plan, I have to immediate cancel not to get a late fee?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 05:20 PM
    Late fee on a prepaid?

So if I use it for one month, which is my plan, I have to immediate cancel not to get a late fee?
    The late fee comes in if you want to refill your account but don't do it within 24 hours of your previous refill expiring. If you want to use it for just one month, there's no late fee--you just let the account expire and the number get released.
    07-07-16 07:18 PM
    The late fee comes in if you want to refill your account but don't do it within 24 hours of your previous refill expiring. If you want to use it for just one month, there's no late fee--you just let the account expire and the number get released.
    So I can keep activating, canceling, then reactivating, and Cricket won't charge for the new number each time?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 09:58 PM
    So I can keep activating, canceling, then reactivating, and Cricket won't charge for the new number each time?
    You might need a new SIM to go with each new activation/phone number, but yeah--if you don't want any sort of continuity (number preservation,) then you can do this. Cricket would cancel the previous, unfunded account after 60 days.
    07-07-16 10:07 PM
    You might need a new SIM to go with each new activation/phone number, but yeah--if you don't want any sort of continuity (number preservation,) then you can do this. Cricket would cancel the previous, unfunded account after 60 days.
    Thanks. I'm thinking of only doing this once a year, so I guess I can buy a new sim once a year if need be.

Net10 looked like they had better deals regarding how long you could retain the service. If I read it correctly, one purchase is good for three months. But it wasn't clear if net10 ATT would be the same as Cricket.

If only Tmo would buy USA Commnet! I hasn't realized it, but AT$T bought AllTel, the other western US wireless. With Verizon picking up pieces.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alltel
    This really gets muddy since ATN was part of Commnet.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 01:13 AM