PayPal Deep Sixes Windows, BlackBerry and Amazon Apps - E-Commerce on Top Tech News

Online payment service PayPal is abandoning the apps that it created for Microsoft Windows Phone, BlackBerry and Amazon Fire OS. The company announced the move this week on its blog.
    The news paves the way for PayPal to steer users toward the latest versions of its app for Apple's IOS and Google's Android. Those two platforms have come to dominate the mobile payment space. The last day of support for the Windows Phone, BlackBerry and Amazon Kindle apps will be June 30.

PayPal's withdrawal of support from the three platforms points out its eagerness to do business exclusively with Apple and Google, which together accounted for 97 percent of phone sales in the first quarter of 2016, according to sales figures compiled by Gartner Inc.
    Another example of a big app/service abandoning smaller platforms and focusing their efforts on the mainstream ones. With regards to BB10, this is why it really doesn't matter what BB does with it - the platform isn't viable without third-party support.
    05-27-16 10:34 AM
    I really wonder how long Amazon can hold out before they put full Android on their devcies.
    05-27-16 11:04 AM
    PayPal Deep Sixes Windows, BlackBerry and Amazon Apps - E-Commerce on Top Tech News

Another example of a big app/service abandoning smaller platforms and focusing their efforts on the mainstream ones. With regards to BB10, this is why it really doesn't matter what BB does with it - the platform isn't viable without third-party support.
    Yes another one bites the dust but I have not used the BBW app (does not even exist in Canada) in my Passport since I got my Passport in Oct 2014. The mobile site works great for me.
    Last edited by brookie229; 05-27-16 at 12:37 PM.
    05-27-16 11:07 AM
    I really wonder how long Amazon can hold out before they put full Android on their devcies.
    What runtime is the Kindle OS using?

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    05-28-16 08:56 AM
    What runtime is the Kindle OS using?
    Do you mean Fire OS? They are shipping 5.1 now.
    kvndoom likes this.
    05-28-16 09:03 AM
    Nuh uh, REAL BB10 users don't need any of those stupid, childish, under-65 apps!

/s
    05-28-16 09:25 AM
    Nuh uh, REAL BB10 users don't need any of those stupid, childish, under-65 apps!

/s
    As I noted above the PayPal webapp is terrific. I am not saying all HTML5 solutions are great, but in the case of PayPal, try it before you knock it. I have not used a standalone PayPal app in almost 2 years and it is fast and does everything I need it to on my Passport. Renders beautifully as well.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    05-28-16 09:29 AM
    As I noted above the PayPal webapp is terrific. I am not saying all HTML5 solutions are great, but in the case of PayPal, try it before you knock it. I have not used a standalone PayPal app in almost 2 years and it is fast and does everything I need it to on my Passport. Renders beautifully as well.
    Many prefer the app due to push notifications.
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    05-28-16 03:19 PM
    Many prefer the app due to push notifications.
    The mobile web app does give notifications if you want them, although I have mine disabled. It does so for sending money, requesting money, receiving a payment and making an in-store purchase PLUS developer updates, surveys, news and promotions and policy and service updates. These notifications are done by email though. I have tried them out and they come through nicely, but for me, I have no use for them so have disabled.
    redbirdsfan likes this.
    05-28-16 03:33 PM
    It doesn't matter which phone I use. I use the browser all the time.
    05-28-16 11:06 PM
    For my life I could not find where or how to add or remove a new credit card on the mobile site. No prob on the desktop site, but I couldn't get it to display even in desktop mode on my Passport ... :-(

Anyone experienced that as well?
    Did I have a weak day...? :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-30-16 11:09 PM
    For my life I could not find where or how to add or remove a new credit card on the mobile site. No prob on the desktop site, but I couldn't get it to display even in desktop mode on my Passport ... :-(

Anyone experienced that as well?
    Did I have a weak day...? :-D

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    No problem-it is under the "Wallet" section -here you can link Bank Accounts and credit cards. From the top left side of the Summary page (home screen) tap the overflow tab and then tap Wallet.
    05-30-16 11:27 PM
    Cheers brookie, I'll check it out next time... :-)

What phone did you use?

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-30-16 11:42 PM
    What phone did you use?
    Passport.
    05-30-16 11:45 PM
    What point of sale/card swipe options do BB10 users have?

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 08:36 PM
    What point of sale/card swipe options do BB10 users have?

Posted via CB10
    The debit card in my wallet!
    06-04-16 11:07 AM