This report states the good news that at least BBM is still #1 in Indonesia.

Crazy that less than half of one percent of devices in the United States have it installed. It seems so very low with it being cross-platform now.

https://www.similarweb.com/blog/worl...messaging-apps

WhatsApp is the world's most popular messaging app on Android, says report - CNET

Attachment 400652

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    05-25-16 12:25 PM
    The rollout was flawed and it got a bad name. I know that a few of the people who had moved from BB10 to iOS tried it and quickly deleted it as it didn't function well. Once again, BB's execution of a rollout was a mess and sank the company even farther.
    05-25-16 12:29 PM
    It explains why a lot of the stickers and payment features are Indonesia only. I wonder if Indonesia by itself is enough to make BBM profitable? Considering Line has Japan and Wechat is China. Perhaps owning one country is good enough?
    neoberry99 likes this.
    05-25-16 02:30 PM
    The rollout was flawed and it got a bad name. I know that a few of the people who had moved from BB10 to iOS tried it and quickly deleted it as it didn't function well. Once again, BB's execution of a rollout was a mess and sank the company even farther.
    I wonder who wrote the first version of BBM for iOS. It was extremely poor quality work. I wonder if they contracted that work to a bad firm? Or did they hire iOS developers in house for that?
    05-25-16 03:39 PM
    Well it's true, top chart on Playstore in Indonesia.

April 2016 BBM market share report-screenshot_2016-05-26-03-37-22.jpg

A little surprised for me, only Indonesia people using BBM, how about other countries
    05-25-16 03:46 PM
    Viper and Line? Never heard of them and they beat BBM? I would have thought BBM would be higher, just under Whatsapp, FB Messenger and Wechat. Especially now that BBM cross platform support is really actually nice and getting better (and video between iOS and droid in past few weeks!).

But of course, RIM is missing out on opportunity to grow and get BBM out there more. RIM needs to offer it's BBM Protected service for FREE to all users asap. E2E encryption is the latest rage. iMessage has it between iOS devices already, Whatsapp recently rolling it out for ALL platforms for free (and a highly regarded Signal implementation to boot) and now Google announcing Allo, it too with Signal backend, E2E will become the norm and nothing less for the younger gen.

BBM has the best E2E in BBM Protected and with the anonymity of being PIN based as well it could end up gaining more ground. But of course BBM sits around with it's hands under their legs and to get E2E for BBM requires a very arcane jump through hoops process as well as $30/yr.

I actually like BBM a lot. And with cross platform video support out now, along with Private Chat, retraction ability and timed messages it could be top 3 IF it was marketed better and announced E2E free for all. Make some positive news RIM, like Whatsapp did! Instead we get the opposite about Canadian police getting access to all standard BBM messaged and Chen saying he doesn't support helping terrorist with encryption. UGH!!
    05-25-16 06:40 PM
    Yes the initial cross platform release was botched yet again. I also had friends who had downloaded BBM for Android and iOS and had loved it at the start but the performance wasn't there.

The strangest thing that occurred to me was when the initial release happened the level of downloads almost caused the system to crash. You would think that a popular messaging system would have been expected to be downloaded a lot but I guess Blackberry wasn't ready for it.

Another strange thing is the lack of investment in the cross platform services. I mean we are now just getting video chat and such but other items such as sending videos of decent length appear to not even be in the pipeline. I don't use WhatsApp so I have no idea what I am technically missing but it's still a **** off with the lack of user growth and potential profitability for BBM. Blackberry 2 years ago was talking about $100 mil a year in revenue for BBM, not sure they are even close to that at this stage.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 07:24 PM
    Yes the initial cross platform release was botched yet again. I also had friends who had downloaded BBM for Android and iOS and had loved it at the start but the performance wasn't there.

The strangest thing that occurred to me was when the initial release happened the level of downloads almost caused the system to crash. You would think that a popular messaging system would have been expected to be downloaded a lot but I guess Blackberry wasn't ready for it.

Another strange thing is the lack of investment in the cross platform services. I mean we are now just getting video chat and such but other items such as sending videos of decent length appear to not even be in the pipeline. I don't use WhatsApp so I have no idea what I am technically missing but it's still a **** off with the lack of user growth and potential profitability for BBM. Blackberry 2 years ago was talking about $100 mil a year in revenue for BBM, not sure they are even close to that at this stage.

Posted via CB10
    This points out that they didn't plan well and don't have the right developers to do the job. They just don't understand how to write software. They take too long to implement features. None of this bodes well for them to be a cross platform software services company. I wouldn't buy anything from them. I suffered through the BES10->BES12->BES12.1->BES12.2 debacle. It was the most annoying and cumbersome process for each upgrade. Again a sign of poor execution. Does anyone there every thing about how to develop and release anything?

I don't know of a single product that they didn't screw up the release and even good products like Blend were not marketed well.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-25-16 08:32 PM
    What the heck is Zalo and imo? Never heard of them and they are beating BBM.

Unfortunate. BBM is actually pretty awesome now. Especially since the video chat feature came out. Even the groups has made massive improvements

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-25-16 09:26 PM
    Unfortunate. BBM is actually pretty awesome now. Especially since the video chat feature came out. Even the groups has made massive improvements
    The key word there is "now". BlackBerry has a bad habit of announcing products long before they are ready to ship the product. Then they ship the product long before it actually works properly.

Look at the announcement of BBM cross-platform, and compare that to when it actually shipped, and then compare that to when it had feature parity (like video!) and stability. When you have a long drawn time between those milestones you lose the attention of everyone who isn't a diehard fan.
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    05-25-16 09:31 PM
    So pretty much what BlackBerry has been saying since BBOS days. We're big in Indonesia.
    05-25-16 09:58 PM
    So pretty much what BlackBerry has been saying since BBOS days. We're big in Indonesia.
    As Trump would say: "they're HHUUUGGGEEEE"

neoberry99 likes this.
    05-25-16 11:07 PM
    Agreed!!!

BlackBerry is a disaster! They had their chances to improve their status /reputation /image and market share. Heck even with their first Android debut they screwed it up too with launching such a ridiculous high priced phone that lost a lot of appeal with users.

As a share holder I would really like to go to one of those meetings /conferences and blast their CEO that they still can't learn from their mistakes and they re in the situation they are because of themselves.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    05-29-16 10:30 PM
    250 million users. Not a bad market count, yeah? They should release another iteration of Z3, or better yet: An improved version of the legacy devices, preferably the 9810 and the 9900/9930, as those are the most used here, even compared to the BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 10:46 PM
    250 million users. Not a bad market count, yeah? They should release another iteration of Z3, or better yet: An improved version of the legacy devices, preferably the 9810 and the 9900/9930, as those are the most used here, even compared to the BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting.
    Awesome to know that legacy devices are still responsible for most BBM usage.
    The Q5 was priced too high to be that 'lower priced' BBM texting device. I imagine that's why users continue to go with the legacy devices there.

Curious to know: Are carriers in Indonesia pricing the BIS plans for the legacy devices competitively?

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    05-29-16 10:56 PM
    250 million users. Not a bad market count, yeah?
    That's the number of accounts that exist for BBM total, but not the number who actually use BBM. Monthly active users are less than half that (under 100M at last count) - and the vast majority of them are in Indonesia. Almost anywhere else in the world, BBM barely registers.
    techvisor and dolco like this.
    05-29-16 11:49 PM
    Glad to see they are able to hold in atleast one country, hope they can develop more features as an incentive to get more people on it, although the market is kinda way tok saturated already and WhatsApp is on their rising trend still.

On another note, ChatOn? Thing has been dead for atleast a year, but they are still mentioning it lol

05-30-16 12:08 AM
    Interesting.
    Curious to know: Are carriers in Indonesia pricing the BIS plans for the legacy devices competitively?

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    Quite so, I believe. One of them (Telkomsel) set the monthly BIS package at about $5 and daily at $0.26. Is this expensive according to you?

I never have legacy device before. My first BB was the OG Passport, over a year ago. Since then I've tried the Z10, the Q10, and now I'm rocking a Z30.
    05-30-16 01:39 AM
    What the heck is Zalo and imo? Never heard of them and they are beating BBM.

One of my customers has IMO. Never bother to check it. He's a business man in Papua New Guinea, who has dual-residency in Australia and PNG...

Maybe it's popular over there. He has an iPhone.... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-30-16 11:33 PM
    Meanwhile in Iran....

And then this happens lol
    http://www.cnet.com/news/iran-orders...-data-in-iran/

"The move is a bid to keep closer tabs on conversations being conducted by Iranian citizens and crack down on the sharing of what the government considers "immoral content."

Attachment 401068

05-30-16 11:36 PM
    Viber sounds like a sex toy, and WhatsApp couldn't even be bothered to spell their company name properly. Doesn't surprise me in this day and age where virtually nothing in an IM is spelled right
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    05-31-16 12:51 AM
    Viber sounds like a sex toy, and WhatsApp couldn't even be bothered to spell their company name properly. Doesn't surprise me in this day and age where virtually nothing in an IM is spelled right
    Language is a living thing... it changes a little with each generation.

Most memorable teacher I had was an eighth grade English teacher, she would have never survived the Texting/IM communications revolution.
    05-31-16 08:41 AM
    For those on here who don't know, Viber is a great app because you can literally call anyone who has Viber installed for free. Which means it saves a lot of international calling charges.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 11:14 AM
    Whatsapp not only replaced text messaging but it has also replaced some emails now and that's work emails. Some people don't send me emails now and just say "I'll Whatsapp it to you". Whatsapp is global, fast and dependable way of communication. In commodities trade business, not having Whatsapp would mean losing on deals. Whoever hates or hates on Whatsapp, you don't know what you are missing. Nothing else even comes close here.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 05:09 PM
    Whatsapp not only replaced text messaging but it has also replaced some emails now and that's work emails. Some people don't send me emails now and just say "I'll Whatsapp it to you". Whatsapp is global, fast and dependable way of communication. In commodities trade business, not having Whatsapp would mean losing on deals. Whoever hates or hates on Whatsapp, you don't know what you are missing. Nothing else even comes close here.
    This was true for BBM once upon a time also. I remember people carrying a BlackBerry as a second phone just so they wouldn't miss BBM messages. BBM went cross platform a little too late, unfortunately.

Plus WhatsApp had a clever viral strategy.
    Troy Tiscareno, alludba and svelt like this.
    06-08-16 06:48 PM
74 123