Hi there,
    After using BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 for a long time, I'd like to give the android Priv a try when I can renew my carrier contract the 17th of July. Since I have had little to no experience with android (the experience I had was mostly annoyance due to the poor flow of the OS)

So, after my mom got the S6 edge I borrowed her S4 and started to figure out how it works. First I installed Nova Launcher because the TouchWizz interface bothered me. And tried to get rid of as many google related apps on the phone since there are many other apps that to the same. I prefer having a few companies know a little about me, instead of one knowing everything.

Now, how do I setup the Priv the first time? Before doing anything I think it's wise to update to marshmallow, but should I go with OTA or autoloader?
    Second, does it compromise the OS if you disable as much google apps as possible except the play services and play store (nothing systemwise, just apps like maps, gmail etc).. I've read about this in a topic about the priv.
    Third, if I install Nova on the Priv, do I still have the advantage of the productivity tab and the ''swipe gesture'' to enter the hub via the home button?

I hope you guys can provide me some info about this, I just want to give the Priv a decent try. If it doesn't suit my needs I still got my Passport OG, SE and a few more other BlackBerry phones so I'll be fine anyways. The thing that really got me to the point of switching was WhatsApp.. unfortunately I can't get everyone on BBM. So thanks in advance

Grtz Erik

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 
    05-24-16 04:21 PM
    A Google Account is required for BlackBerry's Android equivalent of BlackBerry Protect and anti-theft. It also helps with restoring your device, as settings are saved in the cloud (somewhat like BlackBerry Protect on BBOS).

I've never had an issue with OTA updates. This thing flies.

Once I started with the Priv, I never looked back at my Passport SE (or Z30, Z10, or Q5).
    05-24-16 04:27 PM
    I understand, and I believe it's also required to install apps from the PlayStore(?)
    This won't be an issue since I would setup an email exclusive for the android phone.

05-24-16 04:29 PM
    I understand, and I believe it's also required to install apps from the PlayStore(?)
    It is, yes.
    05-24-16 04:30 PM
    I don't know if Nova kills some/all of the Swipe features but folks have occasionally mentioned other third party apps that can kind of replace those functions and add some.

As you are probably already aware, Android is different and even though BB has its own tweaks, it is still Android, so takes getting use to. There are also a variety of threads mentioning what you can disable from the Google mess. I should also read up on that as there are a few that I would dump, too.

You don't mention what carrier but none of the US carriers have released MM yet. T-mobile is testing it. But there are a whole slew of app that need updating, so search the Playstore for "Blackberry Limited" and that includes a Microsoft exfat driver addition (for larger cards). Notes which takes some of the Remember app data.

Good luck come July.
    05-24-16 05:48 PM
    Now, how do I setup the Priv the first time? Before doing anything I think it's wise to update to marshmallow, but should I go with OTA or autoloader?
    Second, does it compromise the OS if you disable as much google apps as possible except the play services and play store (nothing systemwise, just apps like maps, gmail etc).. I've read about this in a topic about the priv.
    Third, if I install Nova on the Priv, do I still have the advantage of the productivity tab and the ''swipe gesture'' to enter the hub via the home button?
    RE: How to set-up the Priv for the 1st time:

I recommend going for that Marshmallow straight out of the box providing the variant you purchase is shopBlackBerry purchased or an unlocked shopBlackBerry variant purchased elsewhere. Currently NONE of the US carriers have pushed Marshmallow (not sure what country you are posting from, but if you are American, we are dead last in pushing this update via carrier purchased devices). The Marshmallow update should roll in OTA, you would only need an autoloader if something would go wrong otherwise, unless someone is able to tweak the autoloader to work for carrier branded devices, then go for it! At this time however, that isn't possible, so OTA will be your savior from the start...

RE: Google services:

PULL EVERYTHING you can Google related if you are like me and despise that entity... NOTHING is compromised as far as functionality. Since the ability to root the Priv (much to my dismay) has yet to be presented, the best option available is to disable all Google apps should you feel you want them gone. Messenger, Chrome, Google Now (be aware you will lose voice to text functionality unless and until you install an alternative should you feel you need it), Google Mail, Hangouts, PlayStore, PlayMusic, maps etc... Rip it all out/disable it all. I created a Google account specifically for my Priv, an email/account I don't ever use but for the simple operation of having the Priv's most basic functions... Nothing is lost, but instead (I personally feel) gained by removing the Google from your Berry... Better options out there by better developers anyways IMHO...

RE: Nova Launcher

As far as Nova goes, I didn't install that and have no desire to, however I will mention that the swipe features, especially as they pertain to the Hub are NOT at all the same as BB10, in fact, nonexistent. I have read many posts by other CB users who have found swipe apps to help restore that 'BB10 feel' though so I'm sure that can be done...

Posted via CB10
    smart548 and xKingHopy like this.
    05-24-16 06:03 PM
    This won't be an issue since I would setup an email exclusive for the android phone.

I don't use the Playstore for my apps... I have a few other sources that I trust, but I would not recommend venturing elsewhere unless you are 110% confident with the storefront you intend to use... But I did the same RE: set-up an email just to activate my Priv... A pump and dump gmail is perfect...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 06:06 PM
    FYI I'm from the Netherlands and the Priv will be purchased unlocked on vodafone. I'll buy the phone on contract from an external party called www.belsimpel.nl, since vodafone doesn't carry the Priv. This means that the android M update is available as we speak.

Great to hear that removing as many google related apps as mentioned in one of the post above doesn't compromise the OS. It don't mind apps a lot, I need messaging apps (BBM, WhatsApp and I'll try out RakEM), Twitter and some productivity apps which I will figure out once I switched

Currently I'm still using gmail because I've setup this account before I took notice of the Snowden leaks and slowly turned into a privacy paranoid person :P.. I'm currently trying out ProtonMail but unfortunately doesn't integrate with the BlackBerry 10 hub. Since there is an app for ProtonMail on android, my plan is to switch entirely from Gmail to ProtonMail once I get the device. So I'll indeed use the pump and dump gmail account.

I'll give Nova Launcher a try, I'm note sure if I need it, I just don't like the oem app drawer on the Priv. Plus I don't need any sort of animation since I believe it will only slow down the phone. (I believe there are a few on the Priv, but correct me if I'm wrong) But the advantage is that I can just try it out without deleting the oem launcher and switch back if I don't feel the need for it.

@CivilDissident could you name those sources? I believe it's tricky to just download an .apk file since you're not sure about the integrity of the app(?)
    But maybe an app like Bitdefender will be able to provide feedback about those treads.

05-24-16 06:30 PM
    @CivilDissident could you name those sources? I believe it's tricky to just download an .apk file since you're not sure about the integrity of the app(?)
    But maybe an app like Bitdefender will be able to provide feedback about those treads.
    I won't name the sources, but I will tell you that they are easy enough to locate... F-Droid is a popular one that is fairly OK and very well known, so I will name drop that one to start...

Also, there IS a ProtonMail app for Android and it functions wonderful sans the Hub integration... The app is atand alone status and does not integrate with any inbox, but it does send alerts to your device and functions like a dream...
    How to optimise the Priv at first boot-screenshot_20160524-194846.png

On my Classic I have a homescreen shortcut that I have been using for months now...
    How to optimise the Priv at first boot-img_20160524_195318.png

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 06:53 PM
    I won't name the sources, but I will tell you that they are easy enough to locate... F-Droid is a popular one that is fairly OK and very well known, so I will name drop that one to start...

Also, there IS a ProtonMail app for Android and it functions wonderful sans the Hub integration... The app is atand alone status and does not integrate with any inbox, but it does send alerts to your device and functions like a dream...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20160524-194846.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	400597

On my Classic I have a homescreen shortcut that I have been using for months now...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160524_195318.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	400598

Posted via CB10
    I've been considering ProtonMail as well. I really need to get away from running my business on Google's Gmail and Calendar's. Does the other party need to have encryption enabled for it to work properly?
    05-24-16 10:09 PM
    Amazon is another source for apps, it's not uncommon for a paid app in the play store to be free on Amazon.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-25-16 08:44 AM
    How to optimise the Priv at first boot-android-blackberry-shield-fusion.jpg

Awesome.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-16 02:47 PM