I just don't get how BlackBerry refuses to give BB10 users some updates. People are sitting on $400 phones and can't get updates from the manufacturer. What's worse, they are still selling BB10 phones they are not supporting. At least update the browser support and Google services so the customers can use their phones.
    05-22-16 09:11 AM
    Yes, I just hope they keep updating atleast the android runtime to support android apps otherwise it will be injustice to solid hardware with almost no app support at all

Posted from BlackBerry Passport!!
    05-22-16 09:32 AM
    :sigh:
    I'll explain for the zillionth time.

Google play services is impossible, against Googles own rules. End of.

They aren't refusing to update, they already announced two new versions, new stuff or not.
    05-22-16 09:44 AM
    Yes, I just hope they keep updating atleast the android runtime to support android apps otherwise it will be injustice to solid hardware with almost no app support at all

They're not going to update the Android Runtime, they already said that.
    05-22-16 09:44 AM
    Sorry, guys. Maintenance updates only for BB10. Android runtime is only until 4.3. No new BB10 devices.

*C5303
    05-22-16 09:47 AM
    So should android 4.3 be enough for the current android apps to run for long time? Or it depends upon the app owner to provide backward compatibility support or not?
    Am not really much into apps but that doesn't mean that phone won't even have basic apps like facebook, whatsapp, flickr,etc

05-22-16 10:00 AM
    I just don't get how BlackBerry refuses to give BB10 users some updates. People are sitting on $400 phones and can't get updates from the manufacturer. What's worse, they are still selling BB10 phones they are not supporting. At least update the browser support and Google services so the customers can use their phones.
    Most of the BB10 developers don't work at BlackBerry anymore, so don't expect miracles. You're due for a security certificate soon (oh joy), that's about it in the short term.

So should android 4.3 be enough for the current android apps to run for long time? Or it depends upon the app owner to provide backward compatibility support or not?
    Am not really much into apps but that doesn't mean that phone won't even have basic apps like facebook, whatsapp, flickr,etc

The Android runtime is at the whims of the app developer; if they force an API update > 4.3, require Google Play Services or just straight up block unauthorized installs (cf. Snapchat), then there's nothing to do about it.
    05-22-16 10:03 AM