Ok, kill me (softly) for the title, maybe

Long story short : Google is experimenting a new distribution model for apps.
    These won't rely on app store but on a simple web link that will offer to execute the app w/o install.
    Interestingly enough, it is noted that older versions of Android (5 Lollipop, 4.4 KitKat and 4.1 to 4.3 Jelly Bean) would support it.

Shall we dream about some kind of "resurrection" and BB10 users dream about some app love, again ?

Links : (originally in French, google translated) https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
    (base of the FR article - Thx app_Developper !) : Introducing Android Instant Apps | Android Developers Blog

Edit : this assumes (I'd say for compatibility reasons) that Google Play Services rely on the same model; i.e : no install but embedded too.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-20-16 at 07:23 AM.
    05-20-16 06:47 AM
    ? So to run said app you have to open the browser go to a web page and click a link.....

Might be very useful for some e-retailers, travel sites that have invested heavily in their website. But for general app usage like Instagram, eBook, an IM, weather, map.... I think the onboard app will still be the way to go.

It does talk about "Google Play downloads only the parts that are needed, on the fly." So Google Play is still a factor, which I "assume" would mean having a Google Account (which most Google Android Devices already have as part of their setup) might be necessary. As for Google Services... who knows.
    05-20-16 07:34 AM
    God bless <3
    05-20-16 08:12 AM
    ? So to run said app you have to open the browser go to a web page and click a link.....
    Basically, yes. Which means you can also create a shortcut on your start page ... a la facebook.
    05-20-16 09:10 AM
    It should be possible to open more than one browser.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 10:19 AM
    Its still tied to the Playstore, which Cobalt nothwithstanding, can go away any time for BB10 users. Google is highly aware of the malware possibilities of this model so there has to be certificate authentication and prior review system so the Playstore doesn't send malware to your phone.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-20-16 10:44 AM
    Can't you already do something similar to this by downloading APKs directly?
    05-20-16 12:40 PM
    That takes the instant out of Instant Apps. In this model the apps are modular so if you only need to pay something then that part which is smaller in file size can be loaded and used immediately.
    05-20-16 01:14 PM
    So we have experience with this tool. Some notes:

This is not meant to replace app distribution to the store. Performance of the apps in the browser is limited, as you would obviously expect. This is meant to be a good way to preview apps or a way to reach users who need to use a particular app just once or twice or occasionally.

This has nothing to do with BB10. This capability requires Android.
    05-20-16 02:29 PM
    But that requires you to install the app. This is MUCH faster and safer than that.
    05-20-16 02:32 PM
    Basically, yes. Which means you can also create a shortcut on your start page ... a la facebook.
    I believe I made a post describing a web-app centric bb10 model some time ago. This would really extend the life of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 01:52 PM
    Wasn't this the idea behind HTML5 apps? This would have allowed developers to make their apps browser shortcuts that work on any OS that supports HTML5. So developers could make a single app that would work on basically any mobile OS. Other than the Uber Mobile and Yelp! mobile apps (m.uber and m.yelp) I haven't seen this deployed much.
    05-22-16 03:28 AM
    The 'fundamental idea' is to own intellectual property and make people pay for using your appstore, whether you are a seller or a buyer.

That's why having your own proprietary, locked-down store is so essential. Making everything freely available and convenient is a communist idea that only ever gained traction in Linux world, and look where those guys are. All that happened to them is that big corporations came and stole their work. Even Linus Torvalds is a corporate lackey these days.
    05-22-16 05:19 AM
    The 'fundamental idea' is to own intellectual property and make people pay for using your appstore, whether you are a seller or a buyer.

That's why having your own proprietary, locked-down store is so essential. Making everything freely available and convenient is a communist idea that only ever gained traction in Linux world, and look where those guys are. All that happened to them is that big corporations came and stole their work. Even Linus Torvalds is a corporate lackey these days.
    Most companies who would be providing an html5 app would be making money from it anyway. Yelp, Uber, Facebook. no reason why Instagram couldn't. etc. All services that are monetized. Not communist, just smart business even if it only accommodates 1% of the market and you're big enough.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-16 05:30 AM
    Most companies who would be providing an html5 app would be making money from it anyway. Yelp, Uber, Facebook. no reason why Instagram couldn't. etc. All services that are monetized. Not communist, just smart business even if it only accommodates 1% of the market and you're big enough.
    You're right, which is why a lot of us went down that road 2-3 years ago. What we found, though, is that users prefer the native apps. Where I work we offer both to our users today. The data is overwhelmingly in favor of native in terms of engagement, number of transactions, satisfaction, NPS, etc.

What Google is offering now is a way to preview the actual app in the browser (think optimized VNC, not HTML). I have strong reservations about performance, but we'll see how it matures.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-22-16 08:42 AM
    Hope we can stay BBrowser-happy with BB10 ... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-25-16 05:31 PM
    Since this feature will be backward compatible, I am 99% sure it will be tied to Google Play services. I am not sure how this will translate to BB10.
    05-26-16 03:51 AM
    That's where I stopped...
    But if GPS are needed, I wonder how - if not embedded - they would deal with compatibility. I'm ages from expert w/ Android so pardon me but are GPS capabilities (I mean interactions/capabilities with the device 'system') the same all across all the mentioned versions ?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-16 03:39 PM
    But if GPS are needed, I wonder how - if not embedded - they would deal with compatibility. I'm ages from expert w/ Android so pardon me but are GPS capabilities (I mean interactions/capabilities with the device 'system') the same all across all the mentioned versions ?

Posted via CB10
    Android Instant Apps is a game-changer for the mobile Web. Announced at Google I/O today, Instant Apps lets developers take advantage of modules that allow mobile Web users to use an application without actually installing it.
    Really haven't seen anything that indicates this modular system wouldn't requires components to be installed on the devcies to begin with or that GPS would or would not be a requirement.
    05-26-16 04:00 PM
    [QUOTE]This technology allows to download an application to their smartphone without installing it for occasional use. Schematically Instant Apps puts the application with a click of your current web browsing while far he had to go through the Play Store to possibly enjoy[/QUOTE ]

Main point is install-less, as much as I understand it.
    To summarise i'd say 'stream ' the app, but I can be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-16 04:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure this will only work with Chrome so Google can easily validate things at minimum OS version. Thats why paired with the requirement for GPS and Android 4.1, Instant Apps doesn't have anything to do with BB10. The Instant Apps themselves, called atoms, will be managed and pushed from the Playstore just like accessing a web url. In the examples the Instant Apps give you the option to install the full app thats why you need Playstore login.

Read this summary it tilted towards devs but its not technical.
    05-26-16 04:16 PM
    To achieve that, what Android does is simply download only the necessary bits of the code and assets (such as images and fonts, etc.) for that specific location within the app. In a sense, you're essentially 'streaming' apps to your device.
    I think if it were something I'd only want once... that would be fine. But not sure I'd want to have to "stream" additional data every time I wanted to check the weather, movie listings or check my teams scores.

Think this will end up being a great tool for WEB developers to add more functionality on their websites... If they want to cater to Android users separately from Windows, Mac and iOS users.

But a "fix" for BB10.... no indication that it will work, and it seem to still verify via GPS.
    05-27-16 12:05 PM
    Blackberry 10.3.4.x will have the latest forced Android run time.
    05-27-16 12:47 PM
    Blackberry 10.3.4.x will have the latest forced Android run time.
    You are right BB10.3.4 will have the latest version of BlackBerry's Android Runtime made from Google's open sourced code for Android. The exact same one it has now. Which is fine for this Instant App solution that Google is working on.... if it doesn't require GPS.

An update to the BlackBerry Runtime would be a major upgrade of the whole OS to handle the different APIs... they would have called it BB10.4.x. And if it were to come, about four months or so beforehand they would need to release info to developers about its release and probable new developer tools and a developer version for testing.
    05-27-16 01:21 PM